Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man walks length of Wales on stilts

Still Waters

A head teacher is walking the length of Wales on stilts to raise money for a lung cancer charity.

David Griffiths is walking a 255-mile route from Anglesey to Cardiff and plans to arrive before Wales take on England in the Six Nations on Saturday.

Despite covering 20 miles a day to get to Cardiff, Mr Griffiths does not have a ticket for the rugby.

"As long as I can get back to the pub to watch the game before it starts then that's fine," he said.

The 41-year-old took on the challenge after his sister-in-law discovered she was terminally ill with the disease.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-47329346

• Like 2

Why on stilts? He could just as well walk it to raise money. But i guess he hopes the stilts will gain more publicity. 

Not meaning to sound insensitive, but there are so many adverts on t.v about cancer, i think the ' profile'  and awareness is there. 

It is also quite awful that the amount of money our government send abroad in aid, people still have to raise money here for diseases like cancer! 

I think there are far too many cancer adverts on t.v, especially when it costs them so much. This guy wanrs to raise £10,000 to raise the profile of lung cancer, that money will go in a few minutes of t.v advertising, although he is getting the publicity needed now through the media and his own campaign. 

I do hope he doesn't hit his head on any tree branches up there, or someone will have to go on a walk to draw attention to head injuries.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Why on stilts? He could just as well walk it to raise money. But i guess he hopes the stilts will gain more publicity. 

Not meaning to sound insensitive, but there are so many adverts on t.v about cancer, i think the ' profile'  and awareness is there. 

It is also quite awful that the amount of money our government send abroad in aid, people still have to raise money here for diseases like cancer! 

I think there are far too many cancer adverts on t.v, especially when it costs them so much. This guy wanrs to raise £10,000 to raise the profile of lung cancer, that money will go in a few minutes of t.v advertising, although he is getting the publicity needed now through the media and his own campaign. 

i think you're being insensitive. the dude feels empathy and decides to raise money for a worthy cause. he probably asked himself how can i stand out and bang... the idea of stilts was born. while i agree that alot of raised money for these charities does go towards "administrative costs' stilts its better than nothing.  

• Like 2