Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

My family's History of Mystery

Great Old Man

I want to share my family history, which can be considered as  "eccentric".

I'm a mystery eclectic charlatan of South Korea, who writes some articles on mystery community in South Korea.

Why am I an eclectic charlatan?, I have little spiritual power and 'm not a shaman. I 'm just interested in "mystery of the world and enlightenment".

Knowing lots of mystery things, Even though I'm not a spiritual medium.

However, my family ancestors are related to somewhat "mystery world".

In Goryeo dynasty, which exists before Joseon Dynasty, 700 hundreds years ago from now, My ancestor was a feng-sui master(some what like geomancy of Eastern World).

He was a friend of Myo-Chung(妙淸)- Who was famous Buddhist monk of Korea)

My ancestor and Myo-Chung asserted "transferring the capital".

Gae-sung ran out of 地氣(power of Ground) and Goryeo's capital should be "Pyeongyang" not Gae-sung.

However, Confucianism bureaucrats(who denies all of Mystery and Spiritual things) refused "Capital Change"(fears of losing power) and killed myochung.

(Kinda funny, because North Korea's capital is now Pyongyang)

ancestor considered as "traitor" because he befriended of Myochung and he ran away from Goryeo, Becoming a mountain hermit. Our ancestor never came out from a mountain before Falling of Koryeo dynasty)

After that, In Joseon Dynasty, ancestor was a geomancy bureaucrat of Pyeong-ando areas.

around 1880, my great-great grandfather served Jesus and converted to Christianity, When western missionary entered into Hermit Kingdom, Joseon.

Great-Great grandfather was devout christian, even though he knew occult and mysteries of Asia.(Taoism&Buddhism)

Why our family converted to Christianity? Is quite a mystery though, but Most of Korean served "han-ul-nim which means "one absolute being of Heaven"  before missionaries arrived.

In 1910, Japan colonized Joseon and suppressed Christianity of Joseon.

Lots of Christian persecuted and demanded to convert into Shinto(神道)

That time, Around Pyeong-ando area(Include Pyongyang), great grandfather joined secret independence society and fight against Empire of Japan.

Unfortunately, the secret society was revealed, and he was jailed and lots of his house property was confiscated.(1937)

However, Empire of Japan attacked Pearl Harbor and China and soon lose war of the WW2(1945).

Thanks to USA and Western Alliance, Korea got independence. But soon Communism aroused in North region of Korea.

Kim Il-sung(grand-father of Kim jung eun) killed lots of Christian and bourgeoisie. Actually, Kim il-sung may be my-great grandfather's long relative because Kim il-sung

family was Christian, and My family is also 'Kim'. Kim il-sung 's father was graveyard keeper of Lee-Hyoung-Jik( landowner).

Maybe Kim il-sung family is also related to somewhat "occultic" because Kim's family of north was graveyard keeper for generations.

(Why Kim's family of North is all fatty? because Most of Pyeong-an-do Kim's families have fat- gene which is a result to survive harsh, cold weather in north.)

Again, great-grandpa was confiscated all house property and was on the verge of being persecuted(he was one of  the founders of Christianity School, Shinsei Gakuen

神聖學院). Fortunately, one of peasants who got helped from ancestor released my great-granfather from crisis,although Half of our family  missing, great-grandpa and grandfather escaped North Korea and settled in South Korea, Seoul.

my grandfather was a beggar, had nothing, but he ran a business, and became successful. Some of Families (grandfather's brothers)worried invasion of North Korea, and They went USA.

(They were also wise, It became true when Korea War breaks out(1950))

Even now, I communicate the USA relatives who lives in Chicago, Los Angeles. 

anyway, our family's business was "construction industry, which related to feung-sui" and was subordinate company of Samsung"

However, our family got bankrupt When Korea got Economic Crisis(1997).

Nowadays, our family is just a some what-middle class, and I made a living for "salary man".

My family lose all spiritual abilities and I am just a charlatan, just mentioned before.

although I am somewhat" famous" around mystery Internet community site of Korea.

I thought that Our family had strange-repeated history. May be this is also the Karma?

Be confiscated, Ran-away, Be  confiscated, Ran-away.

And Now, Me, confronting 'probable North Korea Crisis over Seoul".

I really worry of the future of R.O.K. 

Please remember me When R-O-K -DRPK conflict became obvious.

I really hope that "peace and god's grace" save the Korea peninsular.

Edited by Great Old Man
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Great Old Man said:

In 1910, Japan colonized Joseon and suppressed Christianity of Joseon.

The Empire suppressed more than that. They committed wholesale cultural destruction to break any connections between the 2 countries even though they have common origins.. Many members of my family, including my stepfather felt guilty about that even though they were Issei and in internment camps when it happened.

My grandgoobers are also part Korean and somewhat speak it. The oldest is now taking it in his school in O'ahu. 

I feel bad about the wholesale destruction of all the Korean art and artifacts by the Nihonjin. It was terrible. 

I'm a multi-generational Algonquian Shaman and I have a thread on Korean Shamanism here comparing the 2 and explaining how it works. 

1 hour ago, Piney said:

The Empire suppressed more than that. They committed wholesale cultural destruction to break any connections between the 2 countries even though they have common origins.. Many members of my family, including my stepfather felt guilty about that even though they were Issei and in internment camps when it happened.

My grandgoobers are also part Korean and somewhat speak it. The oldest is now taking it in his school in O'ahu. 

I feel bad about the wholesale destruction of all the Korean art and artifacts by the Nihonjin. It was terrible. 

I'm a multi-generational Algonquian Shaman and I have a thread on Korean Shamanism here comparing the 2 and explaining how it works. 

Indeed. There was mass cultural  destruction by Empire of Japan. That why I dislike "Empire of Japan".(not modern Japan and Japanese)

By the way, Algonquian,Interesting.

I also heard that there are some similarities between Intercultural Shamanism.

ex) Korean Shaman uses power only if they summon gamang-role of connection entity.(similar role somewhat Voodoo lwa "Legba")

Edited by Great Old Man
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Great Old Man said:

I also heard that there are some similarities between Intercultural Shamanism.

I dislike "plastic" Shamanism. It's a shallow, idiotic distortion invented by clueless Gaijin who don't speak anything other than English and because of the language gap don't understand the deeper concepts. . Our Shamanism is most like the Northern Korean Shamanism and our theology is structured exactly like Shintoism. I'm Tendai Buddhist which is a hybrid of Buddhism and Shintoism and "refined" my Shamanism taking the superstition out. 

2 hours ago, Great Old Man said:

ex) Korean Shaman uses power only if they summon gamang-role of connection entity.(similar role somewhat Voodoo lwa "Legba")

There's a Vodou High Priest whose a member here and long time friend of mine. My grandmother also practiced Nanticoke Hoodoo. Papa Legba is one of many Iwa.