Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

any other gear heads, mech, diy types here?

the13bats

While i came back to this forum a few weeks back as most of the stuff here has held a life long interest to me,  i also have been a life long gear head, old stuff, i am also into old mechanical stuff, rc, etc so any other like that stuff?

• Like 2

Yep, I'm a total petrolhead. If you like pics of old cars (hot rods, street machines, custom vans, chops, trikes, drags, buggies, etc etc etc) check out my tumblr 'Stiffspeed'. It's all about the nostalgia and the pics are all pre-90's (when taken). There's also the facebook page where people can join in with pics and discussions. There's some real gearheads on there who know their stuff.

How about some pics of your C3? :)

• Like 2

• The title was changed to any other gear heads, mech, diy types here?

I have to put in a disclaimer,  im on a very tight budget that and health issues my progress is slower the larger the thing is,

My c3 ( 69 corvette ) is a great example, its super close to being a driver again, i wanted a up to par sound car, all rebuild or replaced, that snow balled into a full body off frame,

Im no t.a.c.o or purist, they hate me, im doing an old 70s road racer theme,  i want it to loik like a barn find i got running, but patina is hard to fake,

20180920_152645.jpg.8863a8613f9c4da8094b99614a36552b.jpg

I also do trikes my second,

images_5__052dc68a23b29d3088883ce652cbadfc6079b439.jpg.b57e00cf0bd1796271ea7f806b5b09f5.jpg

Tina on trike

20180831_223219-744x744.jpg.a1300534d78da7bcf07a0335e8401a73.jpg

Edited by the13bats
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

And i love joy division ;)

• Like 2

Oh man, I'm lovin' that and those pipes rock. And the trike too! Cool stuff. I'm not into resto's that much either and much prefer old style customs. Road Race style (especially CanAm)  is also another big fave of mine. This paint scheme is something I've had in my mind for a while now but don't think it would suit my modern roadster quite as well.  I'm not sure how easy it is to acquire panels and stuff for a Mako Shark replica but that would be fantastic to achieve. :)

94_scca-ta_eppie-wietzes_mo-171-1981.jpg

• Like 2

20170314_192749.jpg.acd3ed166f919ab680cc0dd6e4fd300b.jpg

My same 69, mako clip just sitting in place,

Odd you mention the mako,  small world, making a long convoluted story as short as i can and my OCD will allow, i had the motion mako ( maco ) parts, a buddy of 30 years and fiberglass guy made molds and i helped him sell them online, in turn he promised to do a few things for my car, he didnt do as promised and i lost a friend, he sold the molds and another guy has the kit for sale now.

I sold my rear to a guy in miami and front clip to a guy out of georgia, i liked the mako for over 30 years but my tastes changed and wanted a road race look car,

My issue was it isnt a replica but more a wild custom Caricature and takes a lot of work to be what i would have wanted.

In 88 89 i built a street can am on a 81, that car went overseas somewhere.

images(19).jpg.fd7f06b29e0dc4d7bfc74a8bed3f44c5.jpg

The one i miss the most was a modded 66 i had in the early 90s.

• Like 2

Looks like you're ahead of me. I've always loved the Mako, don't think I've ever seen one, or even a replica here in the UK. Sounds like a bit of a bad episode with your buddy though and I know what you mean about tastes changing over time. In my teens I wanted everything flamed (never did do it though) but now, I can't imagine me driving anything with flames on it - I'd just feel kinda daft and that everybody was looking at me (which, obviously they would be - that's the idea).

That Can Am looks extremely well built from what I can see in that picture. Looks mean as hell too. 

I bet you added the extra lights on the back of the C2 so it had 3 either side :D

When i got the 66 it was a tired been sitting in a warehouse former show car now in disrepair, the tail lights were narrow red plastic that didnt light up,  so i wanted to get her driving and slapped on gross trailer lights, til i grabbed a pair of 78 monza hatchback lamps, i turned them upside down left one on right, vice versa, fit super nice,

The car had flares, headlights in grill and i made a custom hoodscoop, i never should have let it get away,

The 81 wide body was insane, i had funds in those daze, it was too nice i was scared to drive it, that i would mess it up, so i sold it to a cop i worked with, he flipped it and it was sent somewhere overseas,

The mako started looking a bit too mach speed racer to me, and while i dont race dontveven watch much races i love that old racer look, so yeah, im a poser...lol.

Do you see many old american cars over there?

You see the odd one here and there occasionally but it's not an everyday occurance. And for some reason it tends to be in the more rural areas rather than urban. There's a local American Car club that have a meet at a bar 5 mins from me and there's one or two in our village (not including the more modern stuff - Mustangs, Firebirds, Camaro's etc). 

A buddy who owns the local Hot Rod shop runs a '55 Chevy 'TLBT'  tribute car and has a '67 Mustang fastback and '37 Ford in for work at the moment.

My old boss had a C3 with blower but the paint was too overdone in metal flake for my liking. He also had a '59 Caddy which I resprayed white for him, a matt black Mach 1 and big (for over here anyway) motorhome, Chevy I think, 6.3(?) diesel.

One of the mods (in London) on my FB group has a Superbird, a '55 gasser, and just sold a neat '32 coupe and an ex-Bonham 50's shoebox. I think he's still got his Nomad, I'm not sure. 

Me and the other half are hankering after a '67 Impala more-door in black (she's a huge 'Supernatural fan) but we keep ending up getting modern stuff. One day though.

Any pics of the '66? Sounds right up my street does that. 

• 1 month later...

Thought this was the right place to post this.

It's a photo of my truck taken at a hot rod  meet that I went to.

16143658_1230671487049974_3111252263440734465_o.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

sweet!

in about 2 weeks is leesburg bike fest, worked it 2013 but this year they have Vince neil doing crue songs and i am hoping to trike over there, its only about 25 miles....i dig the vendors row and terrible food...:tu:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

stiff,

my kustom kulture liking is the old school,  i was drawn to the campy monster stuff and a rockabilly psychobilly fan

http://carculturenotebook.blogspot.com/2017/06/kustom-kultures-rat-pack-origin-of-rat.html?m=1

i never owned a sled but learned lead work in the 80s, an old crusty drunkard forum barris employee taught me,

i worked on as a hobbiest several old rods, i used to like fiberglass a lot but my panic doesnt like the smells so thats limited too,

the vette above in this thread needs some windshield frame rust repairs which will start soon,  im finishing up rewiring the trike my OCD wouldnt let me stop at a simple repair, lol,

i would love to do an old school jalopy rat rod after the vette but will have to see how $$$ life and health goes,  i love to build but getting where i would rather play with the junk,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lead loading is a art in itself. Seldomly used nowadays as everyone uses bondo unfortunately. Leading lasts way longer. Barris was one of the kings (along with Sam) so you've had some real schooling if you were taught by someone from his stable. 

Rat rods are a marmite thing. Some are done really well with ingenious touches but there's an awful lot of death traps out there. Judging by your previous (and current) work, I imagine yours would be in the former category. :) 

• Thanks 1

a lot of old west coast bodymen claimed to be in with barris you know how that goes, i got pretty good with the torch in the early 80s, this was before i was hit with the nervious panic shi..ahem stuff,

i always noticed old rat rods, before the term "rat rod" started to mean any pos spary bombed flat black but the one that i guess pushed me over was a mix of 40s metal, lawn chairs for seats, it was bad mad and dangerous to know but wasnt a hack job, a lot of high end stuff was well hidden and it hard to fake patina, lol,  but one looks closer he has a 150.00 convoy duck hood ornament and super rare expensive tiki holding goddess shifter knob, little things, 

low-rider-rat-rod_27.thumb.jpg.f41ed5403fe134b2bea76170afaea5a8.jpg

when he parked it dropped and when he went to leave it stood up, and you could hear it at least a mile,

i also always liked mad max cars, fury road took that to the next step, so sure i would like to build something that looks like it might bite and be venomous but who knows, the vette might fill the void, im doing it early 70s style,  like a racer on a budget but competitive, something that will give purists stomach cramps, but its all up to par all rebuult frame off, i just love the king of the mountain car but mid years are too much for my budget now,

images(49).jpg.a735fcc42e68a32e1d295bbf6d0df10b.jpg

what sucks worse i sold a car like this but contertible around 95 when they were still affordable...

Edited by the13bats
typo...
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

20190601_025933-744x744.jpg.3ef57961d6a60264a3400590eb789655.jpg

as irony would have it my trikes battery an optima my dad gave me in 2012 so it had a bit of sentiment and thats gone through 3 vehicles gave up, it appears one cell or section died, this happened right as i completed the rewiring, at the moment a new battery for a toy isnt in my budget.

the electronic tail light converter module gave up, melted thats what kicked my OCD into a rewire, in the interest of doing it all for free and i had a lot of the generic relays seen above on hand i set out to make a tail light converter, what it does is when you step on the brake and have a turn signal flashing it keeps flashing on the turn side and steady on the brake side, 

it took me a spell but the pic shows my beta version the installed version has cleaner wires,

basicall hot is fed into the center relay, and the brake hot is its switching signal, the turn hot feds left goes in one outer relay right the other, and then the output goes to the rear lights left and right,

i must say it works great and all the loads are off the brake and turn switches and on the relays, 

20180826_162640-644x570-257x227.jpg.54219fb87b4593738cf49cc1943fb7f3.jpg

• Like 2

Interesting thread guys keep it going..Afraid I cannot add much to it though as a mechanic I am not...I think the oldest car I ever had was a 68 Pontiac GTO that was not in that great a shape...b**** of it was in the winter cause the heater did not work! Ooops! Looks like I resurrected a dead thread sorry....

Edited by Minimalists
  • Like 3

dont bury me...im not dead, i last posted thurs,  not many gearheads here but i wanted i thread we could just go on any topic we want to....:tu:

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Oddity in attic, perhaps not too odd.

the attic is about 2k sqft, unfinished floors and ceilings, a few panels laying on beams to walk on or just play blanance beam gymnast and walk the beams, it has an old spooky rickety staircase going to the widows peak outlook on the roof.

first odd thing is what a waste of space, could have been a third floor,  two sides have windows which have weird lofts.

the main chimney isnt a straight shot from ground up in the attic and looking down where it comes though the attic floor it twists and juts over, so there is enough space between chimney and attic floor to see patches of the 2nd floor floor, one place is larger a square ish shaped hole next to the chimney that when you look down to the 2nd floor there is more hidden space, a good size man could stand in there, and fairly deep 8-10 ft?

and this space the hole next to the attic had a purpose made lid or cover, the leather handles rotted away, why put a cover only there and why make obviouus weird extra space only acceptable from the attic...not epic, no spookies just a bit odd.

I have to go up there in the next few days will take pics and there will be orbs...lol.

• Like 1

My 5.7 Z-28 Crossfire.

@OverSword   This is the car "Garth" crapped all over the backseat in. :lol:

Webp.net-resizeimage (14).jpg

• Thanks 1

piney,

i always liked the daytona hood...:tu:

• Thanks 1

Useless info,

the hood on pineys Z is aftermarket, a camaro version of the greenwood daytona hood seen on my black vette post # 6,

a friend got an early prototype from a wrecked greenwood racer and managed to get the story of the scoop from either greenwood himself or a pit guy, i cant recall for sure.

they took an 80 style vette hood and raised the stock center stinger section to help clear the racer intake stuff but the sides of the scoop where you see the little vents on pineys Z were bucked up with 2x4s on the vette hood, the vents were later added when greenwood teamed with ecklers to sell parts,

I have no clue who to credit but a clever customiser wanted one for the Z market and keep the signature Z scoop on top of the daytona scoop, there were a few versions just for camaros and the scoop got so populat we see them on everything from trucks to mustangs, many times with the Z inserts but the roots go back to greenwood and his racers.  

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Piney said:

My 5.7 Z-28 Crossfire.

Webp.net-resizeimage (14).jpg

LOVE that! 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Stiff said:

LOVE that! 

I used it to stop a drunk driver a'la Mad Max. It cost me a kneecap a'la Mad Max. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, the13bats said:

piney,

i always liked the daytona hood...:tu:

If you noticed it's a operational one that was actually hooked up to my crossfire/cross ram and had the flaps that opened. 

I took the flaps off of my OEM hood and used rubber flanges meant for PVC pipe. 

• Like 1

My 350X back in the 80s.

This was my primary transportation from the age of 10 until 15 when I got my DL. 

Webp.net-resizeimage (15).jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1