Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Communism , Totalitarianism & Atheism

ellapenella

33 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

Because I know better.  The Gospels pass the smell test.  I understand the meaning of the scriptures.

Enlighten me so. Please!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Enlighten me so. Please!

And how am I going to do that?  One needs to be willing to be enlightened.

23 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

You assume I'm not enlightened? What makes you think you are enlightening? As a 'True' Christian it is your responsibility to preach the Gospel as word of God, are you unwilling to do so? 

You catch more flies with honey, instead you type silly comments, making silly assumptions and assume a holier than thou attitude in your comments. How do you suppose you'll get anyone to read what you say with an open mind, considering you are casting your opinion of them with condescension? Your interpretation of the scripture is quite evident in your comments and to be honest, you may be wrong or right but at the end of the day there is no need to be a prick, and making assumptions of who is or who is not enlightened. You are not God, thus are in no position to Judge anyone. 

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 5

53 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

I've explained how to be enlightened to you guys multiple times.  Yet you guys keep rejecting it and just keep treating others like crap.

Edited by GoldenWolf
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, GoldenWolf said:

I've explained how to be enlightened to you guys multiple times.  Yet you guys keep rejecting it and just keep treating others like crap.

She only likes HER particular brand of enlightenment. All other types need not apply, because hers is the best and so flawless.

2 hours ago, RavenHawk said:

Because I know better.  The Gospels pass the smell test.  I understand the meaning of the scriptures.

So claims millions of other people, yet those same people can't seem to agree on what it is. 

I would have thought that a God that can make the universe can also make a book that isn't open to all kinds of interpretations ?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

So claims millions of other people, yet those same people can't seem to agree on what it is. 

I would have thought that a God that can make the universe can also make a book that isn't open to all kinds of interpretations ?

Yeah but.............eh. Well ok then.......... Insert deflection here and carry on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Yeah but.............eh. Well ok then.......... Insert deflection here and carry on.

It's written on my heart I believe is the common deflection.

Which is of course very inconvenient since I can't actually see my heart without major surgery. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GoldenWolf said:

you guys keep rejecting it and just keep treating others like crap.

I've come to the conclusion that there are simply a bunch of terrible human beings in the world that no amount of religiosity and/or mental illness etc. can adequately explain away their immorality...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Interpretations?

Would you rather that God created you in the form of a machine? A robot? Without the ability to choose? To interpret?

What's this fear all about? Being human, and having the responsibility to decide? 

4 hours ago, Will Due said:

Interpretations?

Would you rather that God created you in the form of a machine? A robot? Without the ability to choose? To interpret?

What's this fear all about? Being human, and having the responsibility to decide? 

Has nothing to do with God.

• Like 1

I have no idea where God is, what God is, whether or not God is in the Universe, or the Universe is in God, or even if God exists. Yet, because I was brought up in a Calvinist Christian cultural complex, I am open to and entertain the possibility of the Creator's existence. We are an eclectic lot, recognizing no Earthly intercessor and our dealings with God are one-to-one. 

Every sect of Christianity has something beautiful to bring to the ecumenical table. Every sect also has it's own brand of ugliness and sinfulness it hates to acknowledge or let be revealed in the glare of the morning sun. There is no perfection in any work wrought by the hand of man.

In Islam, Christians are called The People of the Book and are aptly named. We raise up an idol, crafted by the hand of man, as are all brazen idols and bow down and worship it.  We preach it's infallibility from copies with center columns of corrections. That is a rare example, indeed, of perfection.

Any religion, preached from a book, is dogma. It is a doctrine of ignorance that brooks no debate. If there, is a God, that God is greater than the sum of every book ever written, every thought every formed, every concept expressed, every propitiatory offering that was ever burned on the altar of self-deceit. 

To find God, perhaps one must first lose oneself, this façade of humanity we impress upon this great unknown we try and fail to understand. Or, perhaps, God and Faith are only illusions of Maya, a God of the living, only, as the Good Book says.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

To find God, perhaps one must first lose oneself, this façade of humanity we impress upon this great unknown we try and fail to understand. Or, perhaps, God and Faith are only illusions of Maya, a God of the living, only, as the Good Book says.

As the great man Meister Eckhart said, if you want God to write in your heart, you must abandon all speculation, and start with a perfectly clean slate ! The hardest thing to do, "in the world".

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RavenHawk said:

I’ll need a bit more information.  What is the source of your ‘moral’ here?

Oh come on.  Is slavery morally acceptable in today's society?

4 hours ago, danydandan said:

Has nothing to do with God.

Exactly.

It has to do with responsibility. 

A great privilege. 

7 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

Oh come on.  Is slavery morally acceptable in today's society?

That wasn’t the response I was looking for but it will do.  Since the reference was on the Mosaic Law, one will find really very little in it on slavery.  Slavery was just another aspect of life back then.  It wasn’t moral or immoral, it just was.  What there was in the Law, concerned treating slaves well.  There was no Commandment to keep slaves or not to keep slaves.  And that’s the key to understanding what the Mitzvah was.  In short, it was teaching respect.  The events around the Golden Calf shown that Man was not ready to have/show respect.  The Mosaic Law was established with the Israelites to practice it until it became 2nd nature.  They more or less succeeded and that observance became the basis for the morals we have today.  It was that muscle memory that was passed down through the long years.  If you were to break down the Mitzvah into categories, there would be three, respect for yourself, respect for others, and respect for GOD.  When Jesus came, he fulfilled the Letter of the Law.  He merged the Law into just one Commandment, “to love one another”.  That is the basis of respect.  In that moment, the Law had gone full circle from Mt Sinai.  Man being Man, he is far from perfect but now, when he sins, knows how to seek forgiveness.  Today, we consider slavery as immoral and since Jesus, the Letter of the Law no longer applies.  So of course, slavery is not acceptable today even though it is still practiced.

On 2/25/2019 at 7:46 AM, Doug1o29 said:

Don't complain.  ORGANIZE!

Doug

You have no idea what steps I take in my community nor am I interested in a pep-talk from you.  If you believe humanity can "organize" our way out of our basic nature to do harm for gain then it's YOU that needs to find a new plan.  I speak from a vantage of historical evidence.  There will always be good, positive, energetic and selfless human beings trying to make the world better.  They have NEVER prevailed over the majority for any significant period of time.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, and then said:

You have no idea what steps I take in my community nor am I interested in a pep-talk from you.  If you believe humanity can "organize" our way out of our basic nature to do harm for gain then it's YOU that needs to find a new plan.  I speak from a vantage of historical evidence.  There will always be good, positive, energetic and selfless human beings trying to make the world better.  They have NEVER prevailed over the majority for any significant period of time.

Sure took you long enough to get around to a reply.

"Good" and "bad" are arbitrary and often defined after-the-fact using a completely different set of standards.  So let's put it in terms of what benefits other people (good) or harms them (bad).

Of course I have no idea what you do in your own community.  That is quite beside the point.

NOW:  if you are having problems with the powers-that-be and you want things to change, then you must make them change.  One person can't do much by themselves, but if they band together and act as one, they become much stronger.

"Every generation's got to win it anew,

Cuz it's not something handed down to you.

Freedom isn't free!"

ORGANIZE!

Doug

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

That wasn’t the response I was looking for but it will do.  Since the reference was on the Mosaic Law, one will find really very little in it on slavery.  Slavery was just another aspect of life back then.  It wasn’t moral or immoral, it just was.

Now it is.

What there was in the Law, concerned treating slaves well.  There was no Commandment to keep slaves or not to keep slaves.  And that’s the key to understanding what the Mitzvah was.  In short, it was teaching respect.  The events around the Golden Calf shown that Man was not ready to have/show respect.  The Mosaic Law was established with the Israelites to practice it until it became 2nd nature.  They more or less succeeded and that observance became the basis for the morals we have today.  It was that muscle memory that was passed down through the long years.  If you were to break down the Mitzvah into categories, there would be three, respect for yourself, respect for others, and respect for GOD.  When Jesus came, he fulfilled the Letter of the Law.  He merged the Law into just one Commandment, “to love one another”.  That is the basis of respect.  In that moment, the Law had gone full circle from Mt Sinai.  Man being Man, he is far from perfect but now, when he sins, knows how to seek forgiveness.

After being forced to admit our morals have changed you're now trying to save face through distraction.  This is a typical apologist tactic, as if explaining in detail defends your original assertion.

Today, we consider slavery as immoral and since Jesus, the Letter of the Law no longer applies.  So of course, slavery is not acceptable today even though it is still practiced.

I asked you a yes/no question and you choose to answer the long way around by hand waving.  In the end you were forced to admit we see slavery as immoral.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, danydandan said:

You assume I'm not enlightened? What makes you think you are enlightening? As a 'True' Christian it is your responsibility to preach the Gospel as word of God, are you unwilling to do so?

With a statement like this, I don’t have to assume.  As a Christian, it is not my responsibility to preach the Gospel.  The task you are thinking of that that Christians should make disciples of all nations.  That is a pretty open-ended and vague statement.  It’s pretty much up to the individual as to how that is done.  neither does that mean that I should suffer the moron.  This is an open forum and I will be glad to share my opinion, but if I see ignorance or stupidity, I reserve the right to call it out.  If you don’t like that, then don’t continue to showcase your ignorance.  No one is forcing you to read any further.  However, if you are serious about exploring this, then show a little respect.  Is that really that hard to do?

You catch more flies with honey, instead you type silly comments, making silly assumptions and assume a holier than thou attitude in your comments. How do you suppose you'll get anyone to read what you say with an open mind, considering you are casting your opinion of them with condescension? Your interpretation of the scripture is quite evident in your comments and to be honest, you may be wrong or right but at the end of the day there is no need to be a prick, and making assumptions of who is or who is not enlightened. You are not God, thus are in no position to Judge anyone. 

I’m not trying to catch anything and I’m not the prick here.  I may be right or wrong but if you are interested in something more that Christian bashing, then change your attitude and try to learn a different view point.  I think you need to reexamine your silly comments.

26 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

With a statement like this, I don’t have to assume.  As a Christian, it is not my responsibility to preach the Gospel.  The task you are thinking of that that Christians should make disciples of all nations.  That is a pretty open-ended and vague statement.  It’s pretty much up to the individual as to how that is done.  neither does that mean that I should suffer the moron.  This is an open forum and I will be glad to share my opinion, but if I see ignorance or stupidity, I reserve the right to call it out.  If you don’t like that, then don’t continue to showcase your ignorance.  No one is forcing you to read any further.  However, if you are serious about exploring this, then show a little respect.  Is that really that hard to do?

I’m not trying to catch anything and I’m not the prick here.  I may be right or wrong but if you are interested in something more that Christian bashing, then change your attitude and try to learn a different view point.  I think you need to reexamine your silly comments.

You made it personal you silly fool, by calling me closed minded, your ignorance is blinding but carry on I don't suffer fools.

What exactly do you want to discuss here!

If you are willing to be honest, flexible and open minded I'm all for it. So let's start again shall we?

Care to elaborate on this comment you made? 

"Because I know better.  The Gospels pass the smell test.  I understand the meaning of the scriptures."

So how exactly do you know better, what's a smell a test and please explain the meaning of the scriptures. Which I've studied in-depth for about twenty years and have yet decipher it fully or understand it entirely! If you claim your too smart to teach or elaborate to me that's your issue not mine, and kinda shows your closed mindedness. 

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

After being forced to admit our morals have changed you're now trying to save face through distraction.

I was never forced to admit because they have not.  And I explained why.  You just didn’t read and understand what I wrote.

This is a typical apologist tactic, as if explaining in detail defends your original assertion.

And this is a typical denialist tactic.  I anticipated your incredulity but it went over your head because your mind is already closed.  You don’t want anything to do with understanding, you just want to ridicule.

I asked you a yes/no question and you choose to answer the long way around by hand waving.  In the end you were forced to admit we see slavery as immoral.

Not hand waving but hand-holding.  Our morals have not changed.  As I said, because of Jesus, he refocused the Law as respect.  Back then, slaves where to be shown respect, today slavery is showing a lack of respect.  The Law remains intact.  Times change, morals do not.  Not GODly morals.

1 minute ago, danydandan said:

You made it personally you silly fool, by calling me closed minded, your ignorance is blinding but carry on I don't suffer fools.

I didn’t make it personal, you made it personal.  Stating that you have a closed mind is a direct observation.  If I said “no, you didn’t get it” or “no, that’s wrong”, etc., is not making it personal.  That’s a clue that you need to change your thinking, ask questions.  Don’t ignore or ridicule.

What exactly do you want to discuss here!

I’m just defending myself.  Perhaps you should go back and try to understand what I wrote, then maybe we could move on??  What I wanted was to answer your questions, not get insulted.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RavenHawk said:

Not hand waving but hand-holding.  Our morals have not changed.

"Today, we consider slavery as immoral and since Jesus, the Letter of the Law no longer applies.  So of course, slavery is not acceptable today even though it is still practiced."

Just stop before you end up contradicting yourself even more.

1 minute ago, RavenHawk said:

As I said, because of Jesus, he refocused the Law as respect.  Back then, slaves where to be shown respect, today slavery is showing a lack of respect.  The Law remains intact.  Times change, morals do not.  Not GODly morals.

Jesus did not oppose slavery under the Romans either.  No matter how hard you Christian apologists try there is nothing respectable about slavery for the slave.

Are you going to pretend that owning someone and beating them is respectable?  You're as morally repulsive as your God.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

I didn’t make it personal, you made it personal.  Stating that you have a closed mind is a direct observation.  If I said “no, you didn’t get it” or “no, that’s wrong”, etc., is not making it personal.  That’s a clue that you need to change your thinking, ask questions.  Don’t ignore or ridicule.

I’m just defending myself.  Perhaps you should go back and try to understand what I wrote, then maybe we could move on??  What I wanted was to answer your questions, not get insulted.

What exactly are you defending? 

• Like 1