Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Communism , Totalitarianism & Atheism

ellapenella

13 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi RavenHawk

considering slavery still exists in this day I would have to say quite some time.

jmccr8

Not to mention a lot of other systems in place even in modern nations that can seem slavery-ish in sense. Like for instance all the US government workers who were required to work during the previous shutdown for no pay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Aquila King said:

You were very clearly justifying it:

Like I said, acknowledgement is not justification, but I really don’t expect you to know that.

3 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

Are you trying to say if something has been practiced for a long time it must be respectable?  Unbelievable.

You live in your own fantasy world.

Well, hello!  If it wasn’t respectable back then, then no one would practice it.  If it wasn't respectable then all the great empires in those days wouldn’t have practiced it.  In fact many would have been motivated to invade neighbors to put an end to it.  I don’t recall seeing that done.  Maybe invade neighbors and enslave them.  Earth calling Rlyeh, Earth calling Rlyeh, come back down and live in the real world for a while.

3 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

Why should we be concerned if God isn't?

It’s not that GOD isn’t concerned.  He is, that is why he sent his son.  The running of this world is now in our hands.  We no longer have to worry about the wrath of GOD wiping out sinful populations.  A new paradigm was put in place by the Resurrection.

6 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

It’s not that GOD isn’t concerned.  He is, that is why he sent his son.  The running of this world is now in our hands.  We no longer have to worry about the wrath of GOD wiping out sinful populations.  A new paradigm was put in place by the Resurrection.

So then, god is inconsequential?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

We no longer have to worry about the wrath of GOD wiping out sinful populations.

I love how genocide can just be nonchalantly expressed so long as it's God who does it...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I am so amazed by the ignorance.  I would consider atheists as intelligent but the behavior I've seen here is so far below that.

4 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

Nope.

Then please, explain your statement.

Or do you just prefer to sling insults?

I, myself, am no mind reader, so either enlighten us mere mortals with your meaning, or be still.

Edited by Jodie.Lynne
  • Like 3

Just now, RavenHawk said:

I am so amazed by the ignorance.  I would consider atheists as intelligent but the behavior I've seen here is so far below that.

I'm so amazed by your complete disregard of objective facts and reality. Though I've come to expect it from you at least.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Then please, explain your statement.

Or do you just prefer to sling insults?

I, myself, am no mind reader, so either enlighten us mere mortals with your meaning, or be still.

This is fncking amazing!  I get hammered because I try to elaborate in a couple of posts.  “why didn’t you just answer yes or no”.  Now that I answered a yes or no question with no, I get hammered for that.  What a bunch of phonies!

1 hour ago, Aquila King said:

Not to mention a lot of other systems in place even in modern nations that can seem slavery-ish in sense. Like for instance all the US government workers who were required to work during the previous shutdown for no pay.

What I love is how modern day people will claim that "slavery in those times, wasn't really slavery".

To be a slave means: not having the ability to choose what you want to do. Or who you wish to marry. Or where you want to go.

A slave is a person, who is NOT regarded as a person but as a piece of property. 

If a person cannot even choose what clothes they want to wear, or what they want to do with their lives, it doesn't matter how "humane" a Master may be, YOU are still merely a possession. You can be sold, traded, or bartered, all without regard for YOUR wishes.

Wouldn't it have been so much more moral for a "god" to simply state: "DON'T ****ing OWN people! It's WRONG!"

Instead, there is a list of "acceptable" ways to treat slaves. And another set of rules on how to treat non-Hebrew slaves....

• Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

I'm so amazed by your complete disregard of objective facts and reality. Though I've come to expect it from you at least.

You should be the last one to talk about having a complete disregard of objective facts and reality.

15 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

Maybe you're just mistaking the bible as a source of knowledge?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

Excuse us for not condoning slavery. How very unintelligent of us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, GoldenWolf said:

Maybe you're just mistaking the bible as a source of knowledge?

It is a source of knowledge whether you believe in it or not.

This is fncking amazing!  I get hammered because I try to elaborate in a couple of posts.  “why didn’t you just answer yes or no”.  Now that I answered a yes or no question with no, I get hammered for that.  What a bunch of phonies!

If you had half the intelligence you claim to have, you would realize that some questions require more than a "yes or No answer".

I asked you to expand on your statement, but rather than do so, you act like a child and throw a tantrum.

I speak for no others on this forum, nor does anyone speak for me. Whatever issues you have with other forumites, do not take out your frustrations on me.

Now, would you care to elaborate on the statement I quoted?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Excuse us for not condoning slavery. How very unintelligent of us.

I am not condoning slavery.  You have just lost it.

I never said you condoned slavery. 

Do you think god was wrong when he gave detailed instructions on how to treat slaves, rather than simply tell people not to have slaves in the first place ?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

Slavery is condoned in both the old and new testaments.  So if you accept the bible, you condone slavery.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

If you had half the intelligence you claim to have,

I wasn’t commenting on my intelligence. 

you would realize that some questions require more than a "yes or No answer".

And in this thread, I started off with expanding on such questions and people didn’t like that.

I asked you to expand on your statement,

No, you just asked this:  So then, god is inconsequential?”, which is the type of questions I’ve been expanding on ever since getting into this thread.

but rather than do so, you act like a child and throw a tantrum.

No, just showing up the collective hypocrisy.

I speak for no others on this forum, nor does anyone speak for me. Whatever issues you have with other forumites, do not take out your frustrations on me.

Nice try.

Now, would you care to elaborate on the statement I quoted?

I’ll consider it.

10 minutes ago, GoldenWolf said:

Slavery is condoned in both the old and new testaments.  So if you accept the bible, you condone slavery.

fd34cc95c7bace82196b31ba6b5cfe6e.png

43744-the-stupid-it-burns.jpeg?fit=264,3

11 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

I’ll consider it.

oh gee Mr Ravenhawk, sir, please, oh pretty please, give us the benefit of your mighty wisdom!

Or, just continue to be a pratt. Your choice.

• Like 1

You know, I always wondered if morals were exclusive to one religion or to religion for that matter. I came across This site and article  that seems to me to make sense. Why is it hard to believe humans can be good, moral, and caring all by themselves? 

Our inbuilt ‘secular’ morality whispers that kindness to others is good. Good in itself. Good because that’s what ‘good’ means. Not good because (who knows?) God may be doing a bit of plainclothes detective work among us, and dressing up as a beggar, prisoner or invalid. The master’s steward ought to look after members of his master’s household not because the master may arrive secretly in the night, but because those people matter, and are human beings just like him. Inserting God as a spy cheapens what should be the moral basis of our civility.

Makes me think we’re unthinking puppets. But, we’re not are we?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

fd34cc95c7bace82196b31ba6b5cfe6e.png

43744-the-stupid-it-burns.jpeg?fit=264,3

Are you making any attempt to have the bible changed?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1