Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Walk-In: Soul Replacement

acute

I thought I knew all the categories of reported phenomena, but a TV show recently added one more.

The premise goes like this:

Someone suffers severe trauma, and dies in a hospital, but are soon after revived by medics.  They go through the near-death tunnel/light/love experience, but then their soul is altered/augmented/replaced, and they awake to be a very different person, but with knowledge of the old one.

As I said..... This is new to me. Has anyone else heard of it?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walk-in

• Like 6

I have heard of it but don't really know anything about it ..... it seems possible. As there are quite a few films with it in the plot, it's hard to know whether it is real or the idea has been put into people's mind and they now believe it to be real. A quick Google search seems to suggest it is a modern phenomenon, maybe directly dating from the 1979 book 'Strangers Among Us'.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, acute said:

Has anyone else heard of it?

I've heard of 'walk-ins'. My thought is that it happens but is rare.

• Like 3

It's interesting to me because it fits in well with my theory on the origin of our souls, personality, and also reincarnation.

(Way too complicated to go into on here!)

I can understand a soul needing a tweak.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, acute said:

I can understand a soul needing a tweak.

That's how a actual vision quest works.

I think the whole theory came about after that horror flick about the cloned child. I've never heard it mentioned by any Spirit Worker in the 40 years of being around them and that includes hobnobbing with a hell of a lot of Vodou and Santeria Priests and even a Jesuit Exorcist. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I heard about that concept of 'walk-in' about 15 years ago, shortly after starting surfing the Web.

In those times, I was exploring spiritual forum websites (among other websites). On actually rare occasions, I read about 'walk-ins'. I even came across a few people online who claimed to be 'walk-ins'.

I respectfully read what they expressed but, really, I don't even know what to think about the concept of 'soul'. So... why not?

However, there may be a more appropriate explanation than 'walk-in'.

Thoughts?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Piney said:

Brain damage, and I'm not joking. I've seen serious personality changes after a hard blow to the head in my years of saddle breaking, logging, fighting and working as a PMC. 

the sad thing is how easily this can happen. one groundbreaking case is the case of Phineas Gage. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage

Edited by Impedancer
  • Like 4

You hear of people waking from an extreme trauma, with abilities that they never had before. 

Another language, psychic abilities, able to play a musical instrument. 

There was a weird movie of note. 

Not quite this scenario, but of interest. 

I believe it's called cold souls. With Paul Giamatti. 

Edited by Simbi Laveau
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

There's also the 8 year saturn theory. Souls move to another body, every 8 years. 

I don't really take a shine to that one. It's the walk in theory, based on movements of saturn. 

Souls coexist in one body, to return to loved one's

• Like 1

I've never seen a movie Paul G was in that I didn't love.  One of my favorites was CINDERELLA MAN.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Piney said:

That's how a actual vision quest works.

and good acid trips :tu:...used to call them soul showers

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I first heard of this back in the 70s and never have been sure what I think of it. I have spent a lot of decades researching and this is one claim I cannot say I have ever found an example of. Sources I respect say it is true, and does happen, but, I can neither confirm or deny as far as an opinion goes based on what (little) I know.

My concern as a spiritual counselor is that there is a high risk for people wishing to be anything other than just themselves. Reincarnation, walk-ins, a lot of claims are based in this versus reality. Having said so, I do know that there are valid cases (IMO) of reincarnation and some claims, so who knows? Just because I don't know means very little in the big scheme of things.

At one time, my Mother claimed I was a walk-in after a near death event when I was 5, she still thinks so, but, if so, I can't confirm that. I think I am the same jerk pretty much I was born as :) and memory lacks I blame on the trauma and dying several times on the table and being so young in the first place. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, acute said:

Hi,

These are two different things which can some times happen together. One is soul sharing and the other is a near death experience.

There is a lot of research on NDE. Most of the time it does not involve soul sharing. It does bring out greater awareness in those that experience these things.

Then once in a while an experience like this will include that soul sharing experience. That is my understanding on these things.

John

Edited by John from Lowell
  • Like 3

So....like that episode of Ghost Whisperer (anybody remember that show? Supernatural Crime/Investigation starring Jennifer Love Hewitt)  when her husband's ghost took over the body of that guy killed in the car crash? He could neither remember his own life nor that of the guy he "walked into" only some memories of his new body relating to smell.

It's a very fascinating idea for stories/shows/books/games, I always like it when fiction plays with the soul. But I don't believe in walk-ins in reality.

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 2

My wife watches a show that i like this Travellers maybe.  Though the concept is also like Quantum leap and the great race of yith in Lovecraft (color out of time maybe) those just have the original on hold.

On 2/24/2019 at 1:31 PM, acute said:

I thought I knew all the categories of reported phenomena, but a TV show recently added one more.

Someone suffers severe trauma, and dies in a hospital, but are soon after revived by medics.  They go through the near-death tunnel/light/love experience, but then their soul is altered/augmented/replaced, and they awake to be a very different person, but with knowledge of the old one.

I've heard of it. It's weird. Makes a good explanation for people who wake up from anaesthesia briefly speaking in foreign languages and sounding possessed and such tho.

I had a near death experience and saw the light tunnel myself though and I'm pretty sure i am still the same person.

Edited by Nnicolette
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a walk in. Not kidding. 15 years ago the original soul of this body accidentally killed herself and I took over. It was a horrifying experience. I only told one of her close family members and he totally believed me. If I told people the entire narrative I think that a lot of them would believe me. I just don't have the energy or inclination to write it all down. 

I also have a very plausible explanation for why someone might think they are a walk in. It has to do with brain damage to very specific areas related to memory of emotions or emotional attachment. The person wakes up one day and has full memory of their life but not memory of emotional feelings. They don't love or hate anybody. Don't feel attached to anyone but have cognitive recall that the body used to love certain people, etc. Because most people believe it's the soul that loves, (and maybe it is) they think that's the explanation. They are a different soul. The memories are stored in a physical place in the brain but the emotion behind them are stored somewhere else. Anyway I could write a book about it but I'm too lazy. Usually I'm a talker, not a writer. 

Whether it's true or not is irrelevant. As far as emotions are concerned the person literally has to start over. 

I love and hate some people now, just not the same ones. You decide. 

• Like 4

If they have the persons memories but have "are a completely different person" could not it be true that they've suffered damage to the brain and they behave react and feel differently than they did before? That seems like a much more probable scenario right?

• Like 3

Yes seems more likely but maybe only because our brains are trained from birth to think a certain way. What makes someone a person? Is the body the person? The personality? The mind? The memories and experiences? All I can say is that since that time, whatever happened, I am not the same person that was. All my likes and dislikes have changed and the memories from before that day seem like they don't belong to me. I really do think of it as Me and her. Two entirely different people. 

• Like 1

On 2/25/2019 at 8:31 AM, acute said:

Heard of it, yes. Though as there is no such thing as a "soul" outside of over active imaginations and folklore, it doesn't seem very likely.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Horta said:

Heard of it, yes. Though as there is no such thing as a "soul" outside of over active imaginations and folklore, it doesn't seem very likely.

Why does almost everyone in the modern world think that thier own personal beliefs are the real truth. How could anyone claim to know for certain that a soul does or does not exist and then state thier belief as a fact. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, shephardess said:

Why does almost everyone in the modern world think that thier own personal beliefs are the real truth. How could anyone claim to know for certain that a soul does or does not exist and then state thier belief as a fact. 

Because it doesn't exist. It's a fact in the same way that it's a fact there are no magical leprechauns.

We know what the human mind and consciousness is. It's made of/result of neuronal and chemical reactions in the brain. We have looked into this quite closely (neuroscience). Unfortunate for the airy fairy ones, but there it is.

ps. I don't claim to know anything "with certainty". This entire existence could be an illusion for all I know. Yet by any practical standards we use to discern facts and reality, there is no soul. Such notions simply stem from ignorance and primitive folklore.

Edited by Horta
  • Like 1