Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Builders find 113-year-old bottles of beer

Still Waters

Danish builders have found bottles of beer dating back over a century while carrying out renovation work on an old brewery in the Jutland city of Viborg.

They raised a set of floorboards to find seven 113-year-old bottles from the Odin Brewery, carefully stowed away in a wooden box, where they survived two world wars, the DR public broadcaster reports.

The builders called in Viborg Museum's Dan Ersted Møller, who was delighted with the discovery. "This really is a unique find. The corks and labels are all in place. It looks like an entire selection of beers from back then," he told DR.

Sadly, two of the corks had dried out and the beer evaporated, but the remaining five bottles are intact, according to DR's Nyheder news programme.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-47157642

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Yes, but are they drinkable.

I wouldn't want to be the first to try!  You first!  I've had a nip of scotch from the turn of the century, pretty good for a 1997:rofl:

• Haha 3

Back when i had a club we would get various sample beers in bottles, i found a bottle i had packed away that was only a few years old and had all kinds of detritus floating around growing in it,

Now this OP story has me wanting to cork a bottle of beer and stash it in my basement see how it fends,

• Like 1

usually a beers survaydate is for a year it all depends on how much alcohol it contains if it's going to last longer. 113 years old hmm i would not like to try that beer but if they start to produce the same beer again i'd be more than willing.

Edited by Impedancer
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Yes, but are they drinkable.

It depends on the "Best Before..." date.

• Like 2

brewers would love to get samples of them for analysis .. can tell a lot of how the brewing process was done..

• Like 1

12 hours ago, acute said:

It depends on the "Best Before..." date.

Thats the word i was looking for.. 

• Like 1