Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Ajay0

Interesting correlation between God and light

Ajay0

Hi All, :)

I have come across some observations which depict an interesting correlation between God and light....

In Hinduism, the Vedas and Hindu scriptures consider the Shivalinga as representing a cosmic pillar of light. The Dharmic monotheistic sect the Prajapita Brahmakumaris consider God to be a point of light.

In Islam, Allah has 100 name's, and one of them is Alnoor ( the Light).

“God is light,” says 1 John 1:5, in the Bible in Christianity.

In Judaism, Psalm 76:4 says of God, “You are radiant with light.”

So this correlation between God and light, is a common denominator in these four major world religions.

Imo, the fire worship in Zoroastrianism may be illustrating this correlation between God (Ahura Mazda ) and light as well, light being emitted by the fire.

If you find any further proofs or evidences in this regard, please do share it here. smile.gif

Thanking you all in advance.

• Like 4

ouija ouija

Hello, AjayO. Welcome to UM. :st

Do you have any thoughts on why there is this correlation?

• Like 1

Piney
4 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

People as a rule, feared the dark. :yes:

• Like 6

third_eye

God made night, man made darkness ...

- Spike Milligan

~

• Like 3

Guyver
2 hours ago, Ajay0 said:

So this correlation between God and light, is a common denominator in these four major world religions.

If you find any further proofs or evidences in this regard, please do share it here. smile.gif

Yes, Psalm 139 claims that there is no difference between light and dark to God, and this makes sense to me.

"Indeed, the darkness shall not hide from You, But the night shines as the day; The darkness and the light are both alike to You."

• Like 1

freetoroam

Sorry, in terms of "light", are you referring to the sun? 

acute

When you base a theory on quotes from works of fiction, sometimes written hundreds of years after the events they claim to portray, you have nothing.

Edited by acute
  • Like 3

Razumov

Akshobya_in_His_Eastern_Paradise_with_Cr

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manichaeism

Manichaeism taught an elaborate dualistic cosmology describing the struggle between a good, spiritual world of light, and an evil, material world of darkness.[6] Through an ongoing process that takes place in human history, light is gradually removed from the world of matter and returned to the world of light, whence it came. Its beliefs were based on local Mesopotamian religious movements and Gnosticism.[7]

• Like 1

Scudbuster
11 hours ago, Ajay0 said:

Well....I wouldn't exactly call that "proof" or evidence of any type...ancient people back then had no clue whatsoever as to what was going on, so they spun some wild yarns hoping to fill in the blanks - the big gaping blanks of the big "unknown"out there.

IMO it's pretty silly to put much stock in them.....and to believe them - but it's your choice. :D

ouija ouija

I think the Light mentioned in various religions is symbolic of knowledge and clarity, so the God/leader of that religion is seen as All-Knowing. And perhaps the image of a God/leader is simply symbolic of ultimate understanding.

Where has AjayO gone? :blink:

• Like 3

acute
2 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Where has AjayO gone? :blink:

I think it was a hit 'n' run!

CONTENT COUNT  1

JOINED  17 hours ago

LAST VISITED  16 hours ago

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Ajay0
On 2/25/2019 at 11:06 PM, ouija ouija said:

Hi Ouija Ouija,

Well, I was trying to pick your minds on what this maybe all about. :)

As per Hinduism, God or Brahman is of the nature of pure consciousness.

Prajñānam brahma - Brahman is pure consciousness (Aitareya Upanishad 3.3 of the Rig Veda)

And enlightened sages like Ramakrishna and Ramana had pointed out the nature of Brahman in these sayings....

'It has been revealed to me that there exists an Ocean of Consciousness without limit. From It come all things of the relative plane, and in It they merge again. These waves arising from the Great Ocean merge again in the Great Ocean. I have clearly perceived all these things.' - Ramakrishna

“The Self (pure consciousness) is self-luminous without darkness and light, and is the reality which is self-manifest." - Ramana

So it is possible that God, who is of the nature of pure consciousness, may be self-luminous. As stated earlier, I am trying to pick your brains to get more data to create a more coherent picture. :)

Edited by Ajay0
  • Like 1

Ajay0

I have been researching other religious scriptures of Sikhism and the Bahai religion, and found more such correlations between God and light indicating or hinting that God may be self-luminous in nature...

The holy scripture of Guru Granth Sahib in the monotheistic religion of Sikhism states thus...

His light is in everything, He Himself is the Light.(13-5, DnwsrI, m 1 ).

There are also many references to light in the Bahai religious scriptures as well...

"This is the Day whereon naught can be seen except the splendors of the Light that shineth from the face of Thy Lord, the Gracious, the Most Bountiful."

(Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 29)

"The Prophets of God are the Mediators of God. All the Prophets and Messengers have come from One Holy Spirit and bear the Message of God, fitted to the age in which they appear. The One Light is in them and they are One with each other."

(Abdu'l-Baha, Abdu'l-Baha in London, p. 24)

Edited by Ajay0
  • Thanks 1

fred_mc

One thought I have is that mediums who are trying to help restless ghosts to pass on are talking about that they are guiding them into the light where there are spirits waiting for them. I also heard a medium say "They are really nothing else than light." when talking about spirits.

I'm also thinking about dark matter, which is much more common than ordinary matter in the universe. It is invisible and doesn't interact with ordinary matter. In other words, it is a bit like the spirit world. There is talk about that there might be dark light, and I've read about experiments to try to detect dark light. I'm thinking that if the spirit world is made of dark matter, and the light mediums are talking about that they lead the spirits into (which spiritually receptable persons together with the medium can also see if they close their eyes), is dark light, it would make sense that we can't see that light with our eyes.

freetoroam
On 10/18/2019 at 5:33 AM, Ajay0 said:

correlations between God and light indicating or hinting that God may be self-luminous in nature...

I asked you a question back in February, I am prepared to wait another 8 months for your answer. 

in terms of "light", are you referring to what is known as the sun?