Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Moon is INSIDE the Earth's Atmosphere

Dark_Grey

...I have so many follow up questions to this. 

RT
ScienceAlert
NewsWeek

Scientists have just discovered Earth’s atmosphere extends well beyond the moon, reaching out almost 400,000 miles into space. Using data from over 20 years ago, a team of researchers measured just how far the outermost part of the atmosphere goes—a region of space known as the geocorona.

Earth’s atmosphere is made up of layers of gas surrounding the planet and held in place by gravity. The different layers are known as the troposphere, the stratosphere, the mesosphere, the thermosphere and the exosphere. The geocorona—where the atmosphere merges with outer space—is a cloud of hydrogen atoms.

In a study published in the Journal of Geophysical Research: Space Physics, researchers led by Igor Baliukin, of Russia’s Space Research Institute, found the geocorona extends twice the distance of the lunar orbit. “The Moon flies through Earth’s atmosphere,” he said in a statement. “We were not aware of it until we dusted off observations made over two decades ago by the SOHO spacecraft.”

earth-atmosphere.jpg

So technically speaking, man has never left the Earth's atmosphere. Good thing an extended atmosphere was not a factor during the Apollo missions. This could be an issue for astronomers, though...

While the hydrogen atoms do scatter ultraviolet radiation, the quantity is negligible, especially compared to the vast amounts being blasted out by the Sun, making space a hazardous radiation environment for astronauts.
[...]
What the discovery does mean is that any space telescopes within the geocorona will likely need to adjust their Lyman-alpha baselines for deep-space observations.

"Space telescopes observing the sky in ultraviolet wavelengths to study the chemical composition of stars and galaxies would need to take this into account," said astronomer Jean-Loup Bertaux of the French National Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS), and former principal investigator of SWAN.

Are they going to have to re-calibrate deep space telescopes and if so what does that mean for previous measurements and pictures taken?

Spoiler

This feeds the Flat Earthers as their model of the Earth includes the moon within the "dome" of the Earth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

...and what holds the gases around Earth and the moon at such a vast distance? Gravity? The gases are outside of the immediate atmosphere and beyond the moon quite a distance. 

I'm a physics noob. Humor me.

is this part of that conspiracy theory that says that the earth is surrounded by a great big glass dome and the moon is actually inside it a few miles up? I've always thought there might be something in that theory. :unsure: 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

The gases are outside of the immediate atmosphere and beyond the moon quite a distance. 

That's the whole point,  these gases ARE part of the atmosphere. 

As to what holds them around the Earth, you are right, gravity. Remember it is gravity that it is holding the Moon in orbit around the Earth.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

As to what holds them around the Earth, you are right, gravity. Remember it is gravity that it is holding the Moon in orbit around the Earth.

Am i right in guessing this is why the moon affects our tides? We know it is the gravitational pull, so because of this, i am guessing this is why scientist thought about invesyigating how far our atmosher reached?  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

I've come to learn that space isn't a vacuum like a Dyson is a vacuum, actively sucking air. Space is just "the absence of air". The gasses of the Earth's upper atmosphere are less dense than the gasses down near the surface so gravity is able to keep them near the Earth instead of floating off in to space. It's interesting stuff for sure.

18 hours ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

is this part of that conspiracy theory that says that the earth is surrounded by a great big glass dome and the moon is actually inside it a few miles up? I've always thought there might be something in that theory. :unsure: 

That's the one - you can see the ice wall on the of the dollar bill. They have been hiding it in plain sight all along...

9 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Am i right in guessing this is why the moon affects our tides? We know it is the gravitational pull, so because of this, i am guessing this is why scientist thought about invesyigating how far our atmosher reached?  

Yes, the Moon pulls on Earth and make the tides. It is probably also partly responsible for the 391,000 miles exosphere, but the tides and the exosphere are not causing each other.

21 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

This feeds the Flat Earthers as their model of the Earth includes the moon within the "dome" of the Earth.

Their world view also includes a huge cover up to hide "the truth".
To publish this information seems to counter that "cover up".

Is it UrAnus sorry i could not help my self :-)

• The title was changed to The Moon is INSIDE the Earth's Atmosphere