Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

China bans game over Winnie the Pooh joke

Still Waters

A Taiwanese games company has had its latest release pulled from mainland China, after players noticed subtle references mocking Chinese President Xi Jinping, including comparing him to Winnie the Pooh.

Red Candle Games released Devotion, a first-person horror game set in 1980s Taiwan, on games platform Steam on 19 February.

The game quickly went viral after players spotted so-called "easter eggs" and publicised them. However online discussion has since been censored.

An "easter egg" is a hidden message or joke in a computer game, normally only picked up by some players paying close attention.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-47361172

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

THis being Taiwanese, its going to be seen as provocation and nothing to do with games or The Pooh ... China's People Power takes provocation very seriously and finds very little humor in it, more so if its Taiwanese ...

~

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 7:21 AM, third_eye said:

THis being Taiwanese, its going to be seen as provocation and nothing to do with games or The Pooh ... China's People Power takes provocation very seriously and finds very little humor in it, more so if its Taiwanese ...

~

Awww....Poor widdle guys.  Someone made fun of their weader.  :lol: 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, OverSword said:

Awww....Poor widdle guys.  Someone made fun of their weader.  :lol: 

There are still active Hereditary 'Lodges' in China with sworn oaths against the KMT / Taiwan that are complying with a 'stand down' decree , as fragile as the Political calm

~

• Like 1

1 hour ago, third_eye said:

There are still active Hereditary 'Lodges' in China with sworn oaths against the KMT / Taiwan that are complying with a 'stand down' decree , as fragile as the Political calm

~

I was really commenting from the perspective of someone from a country who’s leadership has been constantly criticized and mocked for decades. I’m like “grow up” if you can’t withstand jokes and criticism you’re probably weak and immoral.

• Thanks 2

Just now, OverSword said:

I was really commenting from the perspective of someone from a country who’s leadership has been constantly criticized and mocked for decades. I’m like “grow up” if you can’t withstand jokes and criticism you’re probably weak and immoral.

All good and well, if this was some joke on the part of the Taiwanese, what you do not appreciate is the level of venom regarding early Taiwan's role of contributions to Japan's Invading and Occupational forces over mainland China and then later with the KMT / Taiwan's crimes in looting and plunder of China's riches and Palatial antiquary reserves. Something that is yet to be resolved I might add.

Taiwan is as much North and South, the South though not aligned with the CCP isn't all that sympathetic to the North and the KMT either, whom is regarded as Occupiers from old China

You figure this is just some MTV type good laugh and dumping of slime over celebrities, I can assure you the vendetta runs much deeper and not only in a Political and spiritual sense. This is as much Clan as what the Scots and Irish had running in their blood for hundreds of years

~

• Like 2

10 hours ago, third_eye said:

All good and well, if this was some joke on the part of the Taiwanese, what you do not appreciate is the level of venom regarding early Taiwan's role of contributions to Japan's Invading and Occupational forces over mainland China and then later with the KMT / Taiwan's crimes in looting and plunder of China's riches and Palatial antiquary reserves. Something that is yet to be resolved I might add.

Taiwan is as much North and South, the South though not aligned with the CCP isn't all that sympathetic to the North and the KMT either, whom is regarded as Occupiers from old China

You figure this is just some MTV type good laugh and dumping of slime over celebrities, I can assure you the vendetta runs much deeper and not only in a Political and spiritual sense. This is as much Clan as what the Scots and Irish had running in their blood for hundreds of years

~

The mention of clans makes me roll my eyes even more as I have always considered that ridiculous. The truth about crimes committed by Taiwan to China is that those crimes were committed by dead people to dead people in a world that no longer exists. If people are never going to get over offenses committed on their ancestors by the ancestors of some other people then let’s just nuke the world now and have done with it.

• Like 1

The mention of clans makes me roll my eyes even more as I have always considered that ridiculous. The truth about crimes committed by Taiwan to China is that those crimes were committed by dead people to dead people in a world that no longer exists. If people are never going to get over offenses committed on their ancestors by the ancestors of some other people then let’s just nuke the world now and have done with it.

That doesn't mean it does not require resolution or need be resolved, especially when Taiwan insists on being some 'real' China and sells and continues to profit from that ill gotten plunder at China's expense. Its easy to make judgements about dead people long dead in the past but if it were your ancestors on the short end of the justice scales, I would believe things would be a little bit more complicated.

~

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, third_eye said:

That doesn't mean it does not require resolution or need be resolved, especially when Taiwan insists on being some 'real' China and sells and continues to profit from that ill gotten plunder at China's expense. Its easy to make judgements about dead people long dead in the past but if it were your ancestors on the short end of the justice scales, I would believe things would be a little bit more complicated.

~

I understand how that seems to be the case with most people but I don't think I personally am like that.  I was born into this world.  Should I resent the Catholic church for converting my ancestors and preventing me my heritage of worshipping Thor?  No.  I never worshipped Thor, and for that matter don't follow Catholic doctrine either.  I exist in the world that is and don't waste my time thinking about how it would be if this or that moment in history didn't disenfranchise me.  My Grandparents were very wealthy.  My parents are very well off.  I'm poor.  Damn the economy!  What injustice!  I should be retired by now, instead I'll work until I die.  It is what it is.

Whatever things some element in Taiwan took with them when they left will improve zero for the average person in China were it to somehow revert back to them.  Get over it.  Or cry forever.  Whatever.  Sick of victims.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, OverSword said:

I understand how that seems to be the case with most people but I don't think I personally am like that.  I was born into this world.  Should I resent the Catholic church for converting my ancestors and preventing me my heritage of worshipping Thor?  No.  I never worshipped Thor, and for that matter don't follow Catholic doctrine either.  I exist in the world that is and don't waste my time thinking about how it would be if this or that moment in history didn't disenfranchise me.  My Grandparents were very wealthy.  My parents are very well off.  I'm poor.  Damn the economy!  What injustice!  I should be retired by now, instead I'll work until I die.  It is what it is.

Well, if the RCC constantly rubs at sore old wounds and keeps reminding you that barely 50, 60 years ago they slaughtered everyone in your town and carried off something not so unlike the Liberty Bell and then exhibit it on daily basis while having a good laugh over the good old days of how they did it, yeah, it is exactly what it is

Now think many towns and villages, many clans and a whole museum of exhibits on top of what they sold off and given off as 'gifts' to other Governments calling themselves China as if it was all theirs

It is not something a can of cold beer while watching the sunset could heal, I assure you

~

12 hours ago, OverSword said:

Whatever things some element in Taiwan took with them when they left will improve zero for the average person in China were it to somehow revert back to them.  Get over it.  Or cry forever.  Whatever.  Sick of victims.

That's what they said about those Statues of Civil War / Confederate Heroes not that long ago ... but still ....

~

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, third_eye said:

That's what they said about those Statues of Civil War / Confederate Heroes not that long ago ... but still ....

~

Totally indifferent to that. My family was from the south and plenty of people sharing my surname fought in that war. As a matter of fact one of the worlds largest cotton companies has my last name so I’m sure my ancestors lost plenty in that war. I don’t care. That was their war not mine. I didn’t live that world I live this one. We can dwell and resent and hate and seek justice/revenge for something we didn’t live through or we can move on. I’m a move on guy and don’t respect those that aren’t.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, OverSword said:

We can dwell and resent and hate and seek justice/revenge for something we didn’t live through or we can move on. I’m a move on guy and don’t respect those that aren’t.

One our best friends is a black man in his seventies. I wouldn't advise anyone to call him an African-American. He will tell you flat out he doesn't come from Africa and the rest of it couldn't be said in polite conversation. He has a rebel flag in his man cave and respects the fact that many white southerners did indeed lose their lives manning the underground railroad too.

He is a realist, which is refreshing.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Totally indifferent to that. My family was from the south and plenty of people sharing my surname fought in that war. As a matter of fact one of the worlds largest cotton companies has my last name so I’m sure my ancestors lost plenty in that war. I don’t care. That was their war not mine. I didn’t live that world I live this one. We can dwell and resent and hate and seek justice/revenge for something we didn’t live through or we can move on. I’m a move on guy and don’t respect those that aren’t.

Like I said, unlike Taiwan and China, you don't have the whole system still geared at grabbing you by the throat and scheming to undermining your day to day plans with more and more on a day to day basis. All good and well for you and congratulations for coming to grip with your current state of affairs, that does not change the fact that things still aren't all that close to being resolved yet as is the case between China and Taiwan. They have to work it out just as things had to work themselves out for you and yours

~

• Like 1

10 hours ago, third_eye said:

Like I said, unlike Taiwan and China, you don't have the whole system still geared at grabbing you by the throat and scheming to undermining your day to day plans with more and more on a day to day basis.

Don't I?  I think we all do.  I know plenty of people who are fixated on politics or race or gender  and the associated injustices each one can represent and which media shoves down our throats daily.  Moving on and ignoring it, not buying into it is a choice I make unlike many who live in the same society as I do.  I'm sure there are people in China who don't feel hatred of Taiwanese people or even Japanese people.  There are Jews that live in Germany, you know?

• Thanks 1

Don't I?  I think we all do.  I know plenty of people who are fixated on politics or race or gender  and the associated injustices each one can represent and which media shoves down our throats daily.  Moving on and ignoring it, not buying into it is a choice I make unlike many who live in the same society as I do.  I'm sure there are people in China who don't feel hatred of Taiwanese people or even Japanese people.  There are Jews that live in Germany, you know?

Sure and of course, as long as Taiwan / Taipei keep insisting it is an independent Republic of China and not only ignores mainland China but actively challenges the People's Republic of China, I guess the people on both sides of the Straits can do little about it or what happens

~

7 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Sure and of course, as long as Taiwan / Taipei keep insisting it is an independent Republic of China and not only ignores mainland China but actively challenges the People's Republic of China, I guess the people on both sides of the Straits can do little about it or what happens

~

I'm not sure what you're talking about.  I guess I'm ignorant of the situation.  I'm under the impression that China insists it owns Taiwan and Taiwan wants no part of being governed by China.  And the real reason China fills it's peoples minds with anti-Taiwanese propaganda is because the plan is to eventually take it by force in a glorious war of repatriation.

17 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I'm not sure what you're talking about.  I guess I'm ignorant of the situation.  I'm under the impression that China insists it owns Taiwan and Taiwan wants no part of being governed by China.  And the real reason China fills it's peoples minds with anti-Taiwanese propaganda is because the plan is to eventually take it by force in a glorious war of repatriation.

Uhmmmm I guess you were not aware that Taiwan Island was also Farmosa ( under Dutch ) and part of Penghu Islands under Japanese , ahhhh well ... I'm not here to lecture on that Island's long stupid history

The KMT part of Taiwan's government today is also the KMT that  is wanted for war crimes in PR China among other things such as the looting of the Shanghai Bank and plundering the Palatial Antiquaries' treasures. Taipei Cove and Taiwan Island has always been part of China until the Japanese and Dutch governed it for a time, much like HK was for the Brits and Macau was for the Portuguese under ratified treaties, treaty up , return to China , and that's how China had always respected their end of the treaties

The thing with Taiwan is that after the KMT retreated from the mainland after the defeat by Mao and Chang Kai Shek went on to occupy Taiwan, there was a ceasefire for talks, technically the PRC and the KMT is still in a Civil war

~

Edited by third_eye
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/8/2019 at 9:24 AM, third_eye said:

The KMT part of Taiwan's government today is also the KMT that  is wanted for war crimes in PR China

I’m not trying to argue about who did what but when a repressive authoritarian government that is certainly guilty of violating the rights of its citizens accuses a group of people that fled the country when it was being forcibly acquired, of war crimes I have to roll my eyes. At best this is a case the pot calling the kettle black but given the record of the PRC government more likely a lie. You say they stole and looted, they probably say they preserved and fled with all their property they could flee with. At any rate it would be better for the world if all sides got over it.

Edited by OverSword

5 hours ago, OverSword said:

I’m not trying to argue about who did what but when a repressive authoritarian government that is certainly guilty of violating the rights of its citizens accuses a group of people that fled the country when it was being forcibly acquired, of war crimes I have to roll my eyes. At best this is a case the pot calling the kettle black but given the record of the PRC government more likely a lie. You say they stole and looted, they probably say they preserved and fled with all their property they could flee with. At any rate it would be better for the world if all sides got over it.

:lol:

ahhhh ... don't you just love the smell of propaganda in the morning ?

~

On 3/13/2019 at 3:15 AM, Silver Surfer said:

I quite enjoyed that dialogue must scratch up on the butter battle book.

What is that btw?

On 16/03/2019 at 1:46 PM, Tatetopa said:

What is that btw?

The Butter Battle Book is a rhyming story written by Dr.Seuss It is an Anti-War story.

The Yooks and Zooks live on opposite sides of a long curving wall. The narrator of the story is a Yook child whose grandfather takes him to the wall, explaining he is a retired soldier. The Yooks wear blue clothes; the Zooks wear orange. The primary dispute between the two cultures is that the Yooks eat their bread with the butter-side up, while the Zooks eat their bread with the butter-side down. The conflict between the two sides leads to an escalating arms race, which results in the threat of mutual assured destruction.

Edited by Silver Surfer
  • Thanks 2