Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
rashore

6 Possible Scientific Reasons for Ghosts

Recommended Posts

rashore
Quote

If you believe in ghosts, you are far from alone. Around 45% of Americans believe in ghosts and as many as 18% of people will go so far as to say they have had contact with a ghost. I will also admit to spooking myself out on occasion when my dog has refused to stop barking at what appears to be an empty corner of the house.

But what makes us feel like we are in the presence of a supernatural spirit? Are there possible scientific explanations for that tingling sensation you get on the back of your neck, or the sudden feeling of uneasiness with an origin you can’t quite place? Let’s investigate six possible explanations for that paranormal feeling that are rooted in science rather than the supernatural.

Many people believe in ghosts, but could there be scientific explanations for some of our paranormal experiences?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/6-possible-scientific-reasons-for-ghosts/

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
sci-nerd

6 x Thank You! The above article is a copy/paste for the future. Should be mandatory in high school too!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
papageorge1

My opinion is that all six of those put together would only explain a small percentage of all the ghost cases.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nnicolette

There is a range of frequency perceptable to the human senses. I believe there is more around us than we interact with because we are not compatible. That much should be obvious given that we are already aware of what our limited range is. I think it is likely if this were the case that nearby "layers" of reality may bleed through slightly at times. I think they are shadows and ghosts to us as we may be to them. Regardless i also believe there may be other inhabitants in our space that we are not fully aware of yet because of the near impossibility of interactions between.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tatetopa

I was hiking with three friends over a long weekend.  We had three nights on the trail.  All of us were over 30, and had at least some experience with solo camping.  One of us had a firearm.  On the second night, we were sitting around a small fire toasting each other and swapping yarns.  We talked about the coldest, the wettest, the hardest trips we had taken. We talked about encounters with bears and cougars and the possibility of crazies in the woods.  Most of the crazies we figured were closer to well traveled trails and campsites.  All of us had had one or more encounters with bears so we knew they could be around. One of my friends L.J. asked what scared us the most bears or cougars?   Another friend answered, "Monsters."   We laughed and laughed because all of us knew he was right.

Every one of us, rather alone in the woods or safe in our homes has heard the noise; a footstep, a cracking branch, the creaking of wood, the wind that sounds like a whisper.  We have all felt the sudden movement of cold air that raises the hair on the back of our necks or seen the shadow out of the corner of our eye. .  We have felt that sense that there is something out there just on the edge of our perception.  It may just be an ancient survival mechanism, but the first reaction we have is to fill the empty dark spaces with the shadowy indistinct beings from our imaginings.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
the13bats
2 hours ago, Nnicolette said:

There is a range of frequency perceptable to the human senses. I believe ..........

That sounds like john keels theories if you haven read his stuff you might like it, not the movie but try mothman prophecies. Most of the book isnt about mothman.

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
the13bats

I dont believe in "ghosts" as any kind of conscience soul or entity, when people say ghosts or spirits come to them and chit chat i call total bs, lies, delusion made up for attention but not true. ( sorry george )

what i do consider after being drawn to cases like soldiers walking in a field or resurrection mary, or a house or building where different people claim to see the same basic thing over the years and weeding out contagen or wanna bes making it up because they heard the story my thinking about how electrical and magnetic the earth is and we are, what if what is seen is like a recording of something that did happen in time and it plays over and over or when conditions are just right and then if even more is just right a person sees it,

I had some hurdles and holes and learned of dr Michael persingers god helmet work and it could be fit in with my theory, and why everything has to be just right to see these recordings even perhaps not all people could ever see them,

Its not very romantic or cool even a bit boring but i can buy into it more than i can a casper type concept or that photo artifact is my grandmother lost on a different plain.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Habitat
4 minutes ago, the13bats said:

I dont believe in "ghosts" as any kind of conscience soul or entity, when people say ghosts or spirits come to them and chit chat i call total bs, lies, delusion made up for attention but not true. ( sorry george )

what i do consider after being drawn to cases like soldiers walking in a field or resurrection mary, or a house or building where different people claim to see the same basic thing over the years and weeding out contagen or wanna bes making it up because they heard the story my thinking about how electrical and magnetic the earth is and we are, what if what is seen is like a recording of something that did happen in time and it plays over and over or when conditions are just right and then if even more is just right a person sees it,

I had some hurdles and holes and learned of dr Michael persingers god helmet work and it could be fit in with my theory, and why everything has to be just right to see these recordings even perhaps not all people could ever see them,

Its not very romantic or cool even a bit boring but i can buy into it more than i can a casper type concept or that photo artifact is my grandmother lost on a different plain.

And yet you were a bigfoot enthusiast for a long time ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
the13bats
7 minutes ago, Habitat said:

And yet you were a bigfoot enthusiast for a long time ?

I still am and still into ghosts, and all kinds of weird subject topics being an enthusiast didnt mean i believed in it,

I was honestly on the fence a good 50/50 on was bigfoot, the one in south america was a real creature, it was pretty much the net and guys like meldrum who drove me to disbelief,

Weird huh, the biggest name in pro bigfoot today helped me decide its not a real creature.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
4 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

I was hiking with three friends over a long weekend.  We had three nights on the trail.  All of us were over 30, and had at least some experience with solo camping.  One of us had a firearm.  On the second night, we were sitting around a small fire toasting each other and swapping yarns.  We talked about the coldest, the wettest, the hardest trips we had taken. We talked about encounters with bears and cougars and the possibility of crazies in the woods.  Most of the crazies we figured were closer to well traveled trails and campsites.  All of us had had one or more encounters with bears so we knew they could be around. One of my friends L.J. asked what scared us the most bears or cougars?   Another friend answered, "Monsters."   We laughed and laughed because all of us knew he was right.

Every one of us, rather alone in the woods or safe in our homes has heard the noise; a footstep, a cracking branch, the creaking of wood, the wind that sounds like a whisper.  We have all felt the sudden movement of cold air that raises the hair on the back of our necks or seen the shadow out of the corner of our eye. .  We have felt that sense that there is something out there just on the edge of our perception.  It may just be an ancient survival mechanism, but the first reaction we have is to fill the empty dark spaces with the shadowy indistinct beings from our imaginings.

Oh god, as an avid camper myself, the noises at night totaly make you realize just how thin that tent plastic keeping you from the outside world is lol.

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stereologist

The idea of low frequency noises causing an anxious feeling or dread is much more than a single study in 2003. I've read about studies looking for areas with low frequency sounds in haunted places and finding them. That's correlation and not causation. The 2003 study was looking into causation.

In this link we see that there are lots of studies looking into the effects because industrial sounds can affect those living nearby.

http://www.multi-science.co.uk/effects_low-frequency.htm

http://www.engineersjournal.ie/2018/01/23/ilfn-infrasound-low-frequency-noise-turbine-health/

Found a link to the 2003 study

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/3077192/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/infrasound-linked-spooky-effects/

This article gives more background into where this idea originated.

https://gizmodo.com/some-ghosts-may-be-sound-waves-just-below-human-heari-1737065693

Quote

We can thank a British engineer named Vic Tandy for associating this so-called fear frequency with ghostly visitations. He was a real-life ghost buster, thanks to his own personal experience with a suspected “ghost” while working late one night at the (supposedly haunted) Warwick Laboratory. He inexplicably felt the hairs on his neck prickle, as if in fear, and caught the barest glimpse of a gray blob-like figure out of the corner of his eye. It vanished when he turned his head to look at it directly.

I recommend reading the whole article to get more insight into what might be happening. It covers the 2003 experiment, a 2008 experiment and the "brown" note.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.