Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pop Culture Is Obsessed With Time-Loops....

rashore

Have you noticed a recurring theme on TV and the movies as of late? Recurring is indeed the word: again and again, we’re seeing variations on playing with the timeline popping up in our most popular media.

As a writer who covers Avengers: Endgame, I’ve been expecting time travel to be the key to undoing Thanos’ Snap since last spring. But if time is indeed in play, it’s likely nothing so simple as a straight-shot trip in a Delorean. It’s assumed that the Avengers will be using the trippy Quantum Realm time vortices to travel backward (or forward, and back again) to alter the galaxy-shattering event of the Snapture. We know from Doctor Strange’s use of the Time Stone in Infinity War that in over 14 million permutations of these events, there’s only one timeline where the Avengers can win. Every other conceivable world results in failure. And Doctor Strange saw them all.

https://www.themarysue.com/we-are-obsessed-with-time/

• Like 3

We are obsessed with do-overs, because we all screw up.
The only reason fiction has picked up on that, is because popular science has some weak theories that allows backwards time travel.
But those theories are so thin and fragile that most don't even consider them theories. They're just mind blunder.

• Like 6

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 8:38 AM, Robotic Jew said:

Everything always sounds so sciencey with the word Quantum in front of it.

Quantum Pizza, you're absolutely right! I'm going to start using it more in conversation.

Edited by Trelane
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 02/03/2019 at 8:49 AM, Trelane said:

Quantum Pizza, you're absolutely right! I'm going to start using it more in conversation.

You meant.... Quantum Conversations.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Time malarky is onerous to me in media now. It's been done and redone and redone to death.

11 hours ago, Podo said:

Time malarky is onerous to me in media now. It's been done and redone and redone to death.

The most interesting one I've seen done lately was the one in Star Trek Discovery - where the perspective character is part of the loop and has only her gut instinct that the already being driven mad by something else scientist is telling the truth about there being a time loop. It then goes on to explore how someone can exploit a time loop for their own advantage (the villain used the loop to gain intimate knowledge of Discovery's systems across unknown numbers of loops and then for kicks-and-giggles goes onto murder the captain time and time again).

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 9:38 AM, Robotic Jew said:

Everything always sounds so sciencey with the word Quantum in front of it.

"Gee Rick, is something wrong with the Quantum Carburetor?" 

"Quantum Carburetor? Morty you cant just stick a science word in front of a car word and expect it to mean something." 

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 12:13 AM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

You meant.... Quantum Conversations.

You meant... quantum thoughts.

7 hours ago, Galactic Goatman said:

"Quantum Carburetor? Morty you cant just stick a science word in front of a car word and expect it to mean something." 

2 words:

Flux capacitor.

:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 6:03 AM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

The most interesting one I've seen done lately was the one in Star Trek Discovery - where the perspective character is part of the loop and has only her gut instinct that the already being driven mad by something else scientist is telling the truth about there being a time loop. It then goes on to explore how someone can exploit a time loop for their own advantage (the villain used the loop to gain intimate knowledge of Discovery's systems across unknown numbers of loops and then for kicks-and-giggles goes onto murder the captain time and time again).

Stargate the series. T'ealc & O'neill keep repeating the same day. Greatest SG episode ev-ah!

Golfing into the stargate...

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Stargate the series. T'ealc & O'neill keep repeating the same day. Greatest SG episode ev-ah!

Golfing into the stargate...

Jack teaching himself to juggle over the course of several loops.... quitting and planting a huge kiss on Carter’s lips (and what Heterosexual male or Lesbian wouldn’t want to do that?!)... I felt sorry for Michael Shanks having to deliver that rather impassioned line over and over again and not alter his performance. 

• Like 2