Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stories that we've heard ( folklore etc. )

TrumanB

Recently a friend of mine told me a story that he heard from his grandpa-uncle. His grandpa lived in a village in western Serbia near the mountain Cer. One day he went with his neighbour into nature to pasture the cows. They went further than they planned into the wild and in one moment they saw something that looked like a camp or a circus. They came a bit closer and saw humans with dog heads. They got scared and ran back to their village. Now here is the funny part, that friend of mind later took some book about folklore and weird creatures on Balkans. And interestingly dog-heads were tagged on the map in the area where his relative lived.

Here is an another story that village people from my part of the world keep telling. Sometimes, when they go with horses to some areas and they oversleep there in the morning horses would have braids. It is said that these spots are visited by fairies.

There are some other stories too, but I won't mention them for now. This one with dog-heads is particularly interesting and terrifying to me. I don't see why would they lie...

important note to sceptics: I opened this topic for folklore stories like this. That doesn't mean that I believe in them or that I want you to believe. I would also like to hear similar stories from your countries. Folklore and mythical creatures is an interesting subject.

Edited by TrumanB
  • Like 6

My favourite mythical creature found in scandinavian folklore is the hulder she is known as the forest spirit she rules over the animals in the forest and is incredible seductive and beautiful but her back side is hollow like an old tree and she is known to lure men deep into the forest however She could be helpful too.

Only vid i found on the tube about her in english.

Edited by Impedancer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, TrumanB said:

And interestingly dog-heads were tagged on the map in the area where his relative lived.

I once saw an interview with an anthropologist, where "dog heads" was mentioned. He explained that in mediaval times, lying was considered a mortal sin, so the basic approach to peoples anecdotes were that they must be true. Maps were indeed made back then, based on testimonies, and show people with dog heads.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

I once saw an interview with an anthropologist, where "dog heads" was mentioned. He explained that in mediaval times, lying was considered a mortal sin, so the basic approach to peoples anecdotes were that they must be true. Maps were indeed made back then, based on testimonies, and show people with dog heads.

Just to make things clearer - this map was within a book created probably by the author to visually present data.

So what do you think about the story itself? It happened in the 20th century. Do you think that those villagers just fabricated it?

1 minute ago, TrumanB said:

Just to make things clearer - this map was within a book created probably by the author to visually present data.

So what do you think about the story itself? It happened in the 20th century. Do you think that those villagers just fabricated it?

Well, people can do strange things sometimes, so it's not that far fetched that a group of people would put costume dog heads on, for some strange reason.

But, even for a second, to think that humanoids with real dog heads could exist, is ridiculous.

What is specifically interesting is that people with such feature were seen probably for centuries there since it became a part of folklore.

I mean, I know that it's ridiculous but there is always part of me that says...well wait, maybe they really saw something. Like this story with horses with braids. Or stories about village people again who go from one village to another during the night after some party or so and see very strange things ( nuptials that don't exist in reality for example ).

1 hour ago, TrumanB said:

Here is an another story that village people from my part of the world keep telling. Sometimes, when they go with horses to some areas and they oversleep there in the morning horses would have braids. It is said that these spots are visited by fairies.

Free ranging horses get little tangles in their manes that looks like braids. They are a real pain to untangle. takes a hour with a pick.

My Magyar friend would call them fairy braids. 

@piney is there any simular mythical creature in the native american folklore as the scandinavian hulder or skogsra as we call her.

4 minutes ago, Impedancer said:

@piney is there any simular mythical creature in the native american folklore as the scandinavian hulder or skogsra as we call her.

The Miisiingkh  was the Guardian of the Forest. He was basically what you call a "Bigfoot". 

• Like 1

I have hair to my waist i wish thinkerbell would come brush and braid it while i sleep but all i wake to is a rats nest,

No, i dont like pigeon holing and saying people "lie" well some do but i dont see any malace in your friends grandpas story so for me to call him a liar feels too snide, that doesnt mean i believe dog headed people live,

Did you ever see the movie " the village" or 13th warrior, some people do wear costumes to appear as creatures.

• Like 2

Yes, I saw both movies. Those two guys from our story said to my buddy that they were that those were real heads.

6 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Did you ever see the movie " the village" or 13th warrior, some people do wear costumes to appear as creatures.

We've dug up Adena Warrior-Shaman skeletons in Kentucky and New Jersey where they actually had their lower faces beaten out and teeth pulled to fit wolf jaws over their mouths so it looked and acted like a working snout. 

As for the 13th Warrior Creighton borrowed a Arab account of the Varangian Rus meeting the Samoyed ( which actually means "man eater" in Russian.

• Like 2

Im also very into history of things like carnivals and old sideshows with unique individuals "freaks" as they were once called,

I dont recall any abnormality causing a persons face to look like a canine,

While a bit skin crawl producing piney points out intense physical mutilation even took place, i know people at the club to be cool or trendy go through a hell of a lot of pain for things like horn implants or elf pointed ears,

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, the13bats said:

I dont recall any abnormality causing a persons face to look like a canine,

I was born to a "Medicine" family with double fangs and yellow eyes and mewed instead of cried, and although it's a chromosomal disorder that runs in Central Algonquians I'm still one of the "monsters". 

• Thanks 1

Which part is yellow,

I sold a car part about 5 years ago the fellow who came got it was about 60, about 5 foot tall stocky, otherwise looked like a typyical white guy, took off his sun glasses and his eyes, ive seen a lot but was jarred, they for lack of describing it looked like diesels eyes in pitch black, i knew right off they werent contacts, he saw my curiosity and said, i was born with em, i asked the condition he said i dont know, i found that odd, the whites had a silver grey hue but the center was like diesels.

While perhaps you could have made a good living entertaining in the early 20th century, i know i would have , not down playing at all your condition still doesnt give you a canine muzzle, im pretty sure i knew a club guy who went by "wolf" with a condition like yours.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Piney said:

I was born to a "Medicine" family with double fangs and yellow eyes and mewed instead of cried, and although it's a chromosomal disorder that runs in Central Algonquians I'm still one of the "monsters". 

WE've all a degree of monster.   update;Didn't you see that movie jokes eh?!!? I have to go you all take very good care.

Impedancer ... they don't like to talk about it in some places, however... in BC / British Columbia there's stories and names for the woman female one of the forest, A million other names.. one is 'zoonokwa / Dzoonokwa', you don't let the children out after night or walk long distances by themselves no matter the season or weather.

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, the13bats said:

im pretty sure i knew a club guy who went by "wolf" with a condition like yours.

It also comes with heart defects. I hope he had a ok life. I'm not sure about my missing kidney though. That might of been from my mother's addictions. 

The iris's. They turn blue when I'm sick, stay greenish yellow then go full gold when I'm p***ed.

Hum, come to think of it wolf ( this was in the early 90s ) he was a young guy and did mention heart trouble, he seemed in good shape, healthy looking fellow, who knows.

Hum, for all intents i have plain old brown eyes but have been told many times they turn green and very gold, ive never seen it.

Mwoo7,

I knew people who knew and partied with "monster" Aileen Carol Wuornos, she hung at many of the daytona biker type booze and brawl joints.

People thought she was nuts but not that nuts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, TrumanB said:

Yes, I saw both movies. Those two guys from our story said to my buddy that they were that those were real heads.

And l thought that the Mars Attacks dog head swapping was just a trashy idea?

^_^

Again, people with heads were seen for centuries in that part of the country...it was told from mouth to mouth ( you probably have an expression in English for this, I just don't know it lol).

12 minutes ago, TrumanB said:

Again, people with heads were seen for centuries in that part of the country...it was told from mouth to mouth ( you probably have an expression in English for this, I just don't know it lol).

"Word of mouth" :lol:

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MWoo7 said:

Impedancer ... they don't like to talk about it in some places, however... in BC / British Columbia there's stories and names for the woman female one of the forest, A million other names.. one is 'zoonokwa / Dzoonokwa', you don't let the children out after night or walk long distances by themselves no matter the season or weather.

A female "Bigfoot" like creature. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dzunukwa

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Piney said:

The Miisiingkh  was the Guardian of the Forest. He was basically what you call a "Bigfoot". 

I found one native american mythical being who sounds pretty close to the hulder called  "Deer woman" or "Deer lady" primarily associated with fertility and love but is also known to lure promiscuous men to their death.

1 hour ago, Impedancer said:

I found one native american mythical being who sounds pretty close to the hulder called  "Deer woman" or "Deer lady" primarily associated with fertility and love but is also known to lure promiscuous men to their death.

Deer Woman wasn't associated with those things and the guardian of nothing . Just a murderous spirit. 

• Like 2