Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cat,Mongoose type animal

openozy

In a case like this i cant really call any idea uninformed,  since the fellow who saw it knows his local critters and didnt recognize this creature,

What is common to one of us might be unknown to the next person,

I like this case its not like some 900 pound bi pedal hominid, a cat sized unknown creature very well might be running about in anyones back yard,

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, openozy said:

That is very close to what I saw,the head was slightly smaller in comparison to the body,the colour was like a wild rabbit.I live in Western NSW in a remote area.

The color can vary. What about these ones? 2016-03-23-22.59.24-2.jpg?resize=300,248

There are other types too. None from Australia but non-native animals (especially farmed ones) can wind up a lot of places.

_14db518c-96e9-11e7-9cb6-5fa30af43469.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the13bats said:

images(42).jpg.c1f52e1e1f878311d3d1342d21b86f24.jpg

I figured living there he knew these guys , but ill post em anyway,

I doubt it would back down to cats.

Unless it happened around 2,500 kya I think we can rule out a thylacine. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, openozy said:

I don't think the thylacine was as tough as they made out,I heard a Scottish terrier killed one back in the day.Maybe thats not saying much as my Jack Russells take on wild pigs and kill foxes and feral cats.

A story I'm afraid, we've no idea whether it was true or told by someone who had a fox terrier for sale. And even if it were true there's no mention of the age, size or condition of the thylacine. There are also counter stories which describe them bitting through the skulls of larger dogs with a single snap, killing them on the spot. Again though, stories nothing more. We have really no idea how formidable or otherwise tigers were. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Unless it happened around 2,500 kya I think we can rule out a thylacine. 

3 minutes ago, oldrover said:

A story I'm afraid, we've no idea whether it was true or told by someone who had a fox terrier for sale. And even if it were true there's no mention of the age, size or condition of the thylacine. There are also counter stories which describe them bitting through the skulls of larger dogs with a single snap, killing them on the spot. Again though, stories nothing more. We have really no idea how formidable or otherwise tigers were. 

Why 2500? The last captive one died in a zoo... Couldnt have been too hard to study. 

The thylacine is likely extinct,  however people claim to see them from time to time so i wont be so short sighted as to say its not possible.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, oldrover said:

It may have been but people underestimate a working terrier in action.Some pitbull terriers can easily get the better of wolverines.My Russells kill feral cats much bigger than themselves,they have a drive that no wild animal can match.I think those dog killing stories were to justify the Tiger's extermination.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nnicolette said:

Why 2500? The last captive one died in a zoo... Couldnt have been too hard to study. 

That was in Tasmania, the other side of the Bass Strait, on the mainland the youngest remains are around 2,500 years old and actually come from Western Australia. As I recall the eastern population isn't known to have persisted as long. 

And you'd think it wouldn't have been too hard to study wouldn't you, but sadly that's not have it played out. I'm currently writing a paper on that last individual at the zoo in Hobart, we have almost nothing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, openozy said:

It may have been but people underestimate a working terrier in action.Some pitbull terriers can easily get the better of wolverines.My Russells kill feral cats much bigger than themselves,they have a drive that no wild animal can match.I think those dog killing stories were to justify the Tiger's extermination.

I really wouldn't argue with any of that. A terrier is a tough customer. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, the13bats said:

The thylacine is likely extinct,  however people claim to see them from time to time so i wont be so short sighted as to say its not possible.

When you spend weeks in The Great Dividing Range,you realise anything could be living there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, openozy said:

Just to add: one of the very few things we can be reasonably certain of about the tiger is that it was not a particularly ferocious animal. If it had had the personality of a Jack Russel, I'm not sure Tasmania would be settled. 

Edited by oldrover
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Nnicolette said:

The color can vary. What about these ones?

The head is very much like it,It had longer legs and a more narrow body.

49 minutes ago, Nnicolette said:

2016-03-23-22.59.24-2.jpg?resize=300,248

That's turned me off coffee for life.

42 minutes ago, openozy said:

That's turned me off coffee for life.

Its only one type of super over priced coffee, normal coffee isn’t made of crap. 

Thou some crap brand taste like it 

1 hour ago, Nnicolette said:

The color can vary. What about these ones? 2016-03-23-22.59.24-2.jpg?resize=300,248

There are other types too. None from Australia but non-native animals (especially farmed ones) can wind up a lot of places.

_14db518c-96e9-11e7-9cb6-5fa30af43469.jpg

That coffee is imported not made here, so none here. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ruby04 said:

normal coffee isn’t made of crap. 

Every been to a coffee shop in Western NSW lol.

I have to wonder like i have with oysters, who first thought, hum, ill eat this wad of flem,

But geez making a drink from animal feces, i couldnt believe it back with rinos or hippos or whatever crappee animal used to be the hot one....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, openozy said:

The head is very much like it,It had longer legs and a more narrow body.

I've got to say, it does look an awful lot like a quoll, are you positive it couldn't have been?  I know you said you'd fed them before, but they really do look like quolls. And if it was a quoll depending on where you are it might be really significant. But I wasn't there and not trying to tell you what you saw.

5 minutes ago, oldrover said:

I've got to say, it does look an awful lot like a quoll, are you positive it couldn't have been?  I know you said you'd fed them before, but they really do look like quolls. And if it was a quoll depending on where you are it might be really significant. But I wasn't there and not trying to tell you what you saw.

We used to feed a big quoll chicken wings, he would come in every afternoon within feet of us.This animal is leggier with the build of a hungry cat and a small head to body ratio.I've always been interested in animals since a kid,I really don't know what this was.I walked up thinking it was a feral cat but took a back step when I looked at it.It was agouti colour like a mongoose.My initial thought was a very long generation feral cat that had evolved into something different,maybe that's what it was, but I'm going to try to trap it.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, openozy said:

We used to feed a big quoll chicken wings, he would come in every afternoon within feet of us.This animal is leggier with the build of a hungry cat and a small head to body ratio.I've always been interested in animals since a kid,I really don't know what this was.I walked up thinking it was a feral cat but took a back step when I looked at it.It was agouti colour like a mongoose.My initial thought was a very long generation feral cat that had evolved into something different,maybe that's what it was, but I'm going to try to trap it.

A feral cat is a strong liklihood. Initially you mentioned a fosa as being similar, so while most cats don't look particularly fosa like, some really do. Mine do. 

So a big rangy short haired feral might be a good match. It's all a question of being there at the time.

If it is a feral, good luck trapping it. Be interested to see what turns up. 

Edited by oldrover
  • Like 2

If It didn't have the long muzzle and weird running style I wouldn't have bothered with it,I just feel it was something different.Maybe a feral cat decended from very old explorers ships way before English settlement here,but nothing like any feral or domestic cat I've seen.Ive seen wild dogs very near Katoomba in the Blue Mountains that resembled wolves,not dingoes.Must have been feral for a large number of generations.They were circling an English bull terrier,presumably to kill and eat it.

Edited by openozy

3 hours ago, openozy said:

If It didn't have the long muzzle and weird running style I wouldn't have bothered with it,I just feel it was something different.Maybe a feral cat decended from very old explorers ships way before English settlement here,but nothing like any feral or domestic cat I've seen.Ive seen wild dogs very near Katoomba in the Blue Mountains that resembled wolves,not dingoes.Must have been feral for a large number of generations.They were circling an English bull terrier,presumably to kill and eat it.

I know it was scoffed but the reason i threw thylacine in there is that a few videos had surfaced a few years back of what seemed like specimens getting into trash. In the footage they looked to move a bit like cats but the clear distinction was the long muzzle and longer hindlimbs and tail. The posturing was very catlike but they seem to run with a hop. 

Also its notable that in all the recent sightings around victoria and such that there is one noticable thing missing from the footages. No visible stripes. 

Edited by Nnicolette

3 hours ago, Ruby04 said:

Its only one type of super over priced coffee, normal coffee isn’t made of crap. 

Thou some crap brand taste like it 

That coffee is imported not made here, so none here. 

Thats exactly what i said. If you just read all the words... I know they are not native but is it so hard to believe one could be smuggled in considering that the area has a high market for them? Its not hard to see that somebody could have been trying to cut production costs and cash out on this incredibly expensive poop.

8 hours ago, Nnicolette said:

Are you aware that cats are reported to be capable of crossbreeding with wallabys and kangaroos?

http://www.macroevolution.net/cat-kangaroo-hybrids.html

I took the time to look through the link you provided and it reminds me of an older idea in Victorian times that suggested all of the different animals of the world could cross breed and that is how all of the various forms came about. It was an idea before Wallace and Darwin. At that time and even after Wallace and Darwin it was not known how traits are passed down from parent to child. Lots of ideas were being tossed out there and they were being shown to be wrong. I tried to find a page describing the idea but have not been able to.

In short the link you used discusses an idea that was pre-Darwinian.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nnicolette said:

I know it was scoffed but the reason i threw thylacine in there is that a few videos had surfaced a few years back of what seemed like specimens getting into trash. In the footage they looked to move a bit like cats but the clear distinction was the long muzzle and longer hindlimbs and tail. The posturing was very catlike but they seem to run with a hop. 

Also its notable that in all the recent sightings around victoria and such that there is one noticable thing missing from the footages. No visible stripes. 

And no visible thylacines either. The films from a few years back all shiw dogs and foxes, and have all been discussed here.  Take it from soneone who does know a little about the thylacine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, stereologist said:

I took the time to look through the link you provided and it reminds me of an older idea in Victorian times that suggested all of the different animals of the world could cross breed and that is how all of the various forms came about. It was an idea before Wallace and Darwin. At that time and even after Wallace and Darwin it was not known how traits are passed down from parent to child. Lots of ideas were being tossed out there and they were being shown to be wrong. I tried to find a page describing the idea but have not been able to.

In short the link you used discusses an idea that was pre-Darwinian.

McCarthy is the crank who also believes that humans were created by chimps interbreeding with pigs, which is a biological impossibility.