Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

First gun control bill passed in over 20 years

Still Waters

11 minutes ago, aztek said:

well to be blunt, gun laws pushed and passed by dems in last 10 years  or so are all pointless,  

Then why do you complain about them?  It should be a non-issue like the amendment you are talking about is to me and practically everyone else in America.

4 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Then why do you complain about them?  It should be a non-issue like the amendment you are talking about is to me and practically everyone else in America.

Because they infringe on the rights of the law abiding. 

Edited by preacherman76
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, preacherman76 said:

It wasn’t because of the crimes. It was because in NY you have to produce paperwork on any arrest you have ever had to get a permit. I couldn’t provide that cause I was told they had no record of it. Which was a lie.

I had two. One for shoplifting, and one was a trespass charge after being invited to a party in the middle of the woods, that turned out to be someone’s property. I was new in town and just looking to make friends. Which I did. 

Eh, I think different states might as well be different planets.  Here in Iowa I just walk into the sheriffs office with my dd-214 from the military and they just hand it to me. (well in 30 days, but you get a permit to acquire immediately)  I assume they do a background check and what not in the meantime. You can't be a felon or do an aggravated misdemeanor in the last three years, but that's about it.

It's pretty lax,  gun shows still sell modification kits that can convert your weapons to automatic (It's just illegal to install) and half my friends are technically felons because they still have bump stocks on some of their firearms that they keep in their gun lockers.  Heck one guy on the crew is a convicted felon and bought an AR-15 with a 40 millimeter grenade launcher on the bottom with a flip sight for both the rifle and grenade launcher.  He just registered it under his daughter's name. 

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 4:42 AM, Still Waters said:

There are exemptions to the law like "gifts to family members and transfers for hunting, target shooting, and self-defense

So no teeth at all. Perhaps a feel good bragging rights thing "And we passed the first gun control legislation in 20 years" and the crowd goes wild, HOORAH! Or perhaps a foot in the door?  At any rate I say the last thing we need is more laws that do nothing so either do  it right or don't do it. This is just crap. 

Hmmm, sometimes you don't know what your mood's like until you post in a political thread. :lol:

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 5:34 AM, freetoroam said:

Ok bare with me, 

I am guessing the unlicensed sellers could be neighbours, friends, Jake behind the bar in the local saloon?

I do not get how a gun can be sold by someone who does not have a licence in the first place. How did they initially get a gun to sell without a licence? 

Can one of you American folks explain to me what an unlicenced seller is.

Someone that's not commercially licensed as a retail seller of guns.  In other words your average joe that owns a gun and want's to sell it.

16 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Someone that's not commercially licensed as a retail seller of guns.  In other words your average joe that owns a gun and want's to sell it.

Yeah, there are basically 393 million guns owned by civilians here in the United States. https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/bj3485/how-many-guns-are-there-in-america

When grandpa dies or gets sent to the nursing home, the family usually just up and sells the guns.  Some of the guys around here bought some as investments.  Prices go up with Democrat controlled government and go back down with a Republican one.  Bunch of my friends made a ton of money selling parts their private collections to other friends during the Obama hysteria, for instance.  It's not really that well regulated.

The felon buddy I mentioned called up his deputy buddy to see if the AR he bought was stolen or even registered before he bought it.   (It wasn't registered, but there is no penalty for buying an unregistered gun and registering it.) The person he bought it from found it under his deceased father's mattress when they were cleaning out his house. The father was also a convicted felon, so it put the rifle's legality into doubt.

The gun shows around here are better because they are more public, but everyone knows everyone so it wouldn't be too hard to slip a sale through less than honorable means.