Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Still Waters

Shigir Idol: The world's oldest wooden statue

Still Waters

Wooden statue 5.3m high with eight faces gazed over the water for only two decades, but leaves us with a conundrum 11,600 years later.

With its evocative main face and O-shaped mouth, its mysterious zigzag etched lines, the Shigir Idol is now accepted as one of the world’s oldest examples of monumental art. 

All the more remarkably, it is made of larch not stone yet still survives, thanks to it falling into a peat bog, once a paleo-lake, in which it was superbly preserved. 

Now experts who know it best are suggesting some intriguing new theories about this ancient relic found late in the 19th century by tsarist gold prospectors.

https://siberiantimes.com/science/casestudy/features/the-awesome-shigir-idol-depicting-the-ancient-spirit-world-originally-stood-tall-beside-a-paleo-lake/

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Piney

That thing has fascinated me for years. I thought about making a smaller copy to put in my step sister's library-museum for some time. I would actually like to find some larch to use though.

• Like 6

skliss
On 2/28/2019 at 9:17 AM, Piney said:

That thing has fascinated me for years. I thought about making a smaller copy to put in my step sister's library-museum for some time. I would actually like to find some larch to use though.

That would be really cool. There is something engaging about it.

• Like 3

Piney
1 hour ago, skliss said:

That would be really cool. There is something engaging about it.

My stepsister told me since I was the Mask, dance stick and war club carver for my tribe I would put something special in it.  :lol:

• Like 3

skliss
1 hour ago, Piney said:

My stepsister told me since I was the Mask, dance stick and war club carver for my tribe I would put something special in it.  :lol:

I think so! It's primitive but sophisticated at the same time. If you do, post a picture. :)

• Thanks 1

Piney
10 minutes ago, skliss said:

I think so! It's primitive but sophisticated at the same time. If you do, post a picture. :)

We were looking at a Slavic triple headed idol found in the Ukraine too. My carving saws are still stashed in the basement. Maybe one day. :yes:

• Like 2

Tatetopa

The article mentioned the possibility it was carved with a beaver jaw, teeth intact.  Have you ever tried animal teeth for carving Piney?  How would they do compared to a knapped blade or adz?

• Like 2

Piney
1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

The article mentioned the possibility it was carved with a beaver jaw, teeth intact.  Have you ever tried animal teeth for carving Piney?  How would they do compared to a knapped blade or adz?

A Beaver tooth gouge is the traditional Algonquian carving tool for "living" masks. It's time consuming but not horrible. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Still Waters

Update:

The World's Oldest Known Wooden Statue Is Over 7,000 Years Older Than Stonehenge

This wooden figurative statue with a number of mask-like faces was carved thousands of years ago, and preserved for millennia in the acidic, antimicrobial environment of the Shigir peat bog in the Ural Mountains in Russia.

Now, we have learned the statue seems to be even older than we thought.

The wood used in the sculpture appears to be around 12,250 years old. Since the Shigir Idol was made from the trunk of a larch tree with 159 growth rings, this suggests that the statue itself was carved around 12,100 years ago - around 500 years earlier than the 2018 analysis showed.

This suggests that the sculpture was carved at the end of the Last Ice Age, and the beginning of the Holocene. (For comparison, Stonehenge is thought to be constructed just 5,000 years ago.)

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-world-s-oldest-known-wooden-statue-is-even-older-than-we-thought

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1040618220306455

• Like 3