Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ancient groundwater system on Mars

Waspie_Dwarf

First evidence of planet-wide groundwater system on Mars

Mars Express has revealed the first geological evidence of a system of ancient interconnected lakes that once lay deep beneath the Red Planet’s surface, five of which may contain minerals crucial to life.

Mars appears to be an arid world, but its surface shows compelling signs that large amounts of water once existed across the planet. We see features that would have needed water to form – branching flow channels and valleys, for example – and just last year Mars Express detected a pool of liquid water beneath the planet’s south pole.

A new study now reveals the extent of underground water on ancient Mars that was previously only predicted by models.

arrow3.gif  Read More: ESA

• Like 4

Could an underlying reason to send expeditions and probes to Mars is to see if we can somehow stop climate change or what the Earth may face in the distant future?

1 hour ago, paperdyer said:

Could an underlying reason to send expeditions and probes to Mars is to see if we can somehow stop climate change or what the Earth may face in the distant future?

Not really. The underlying reasons for current missions to Mars are to determine if it was ever capable of sustaining life, whether life actually arose and whether v it still exists there.

However all knowledge is interconnected. Mars will probably not tell us how the Earth will be in the future, but it may tell us how it could have been if things had been different in the past. Such understanding of how climates evolve on other planets can only be helpful in understanding our own.

There was full blown Bass tournaments on Mars years ago...

Edited by AllPossible
  • Haha 1

When reading things like this, I'm always getting a bit sad that we are arriving on Mars 3-4 billion years too late. It would have been truly spectacular to see what it looked like back then.

• Like 2

Ok but these are known news since 1980's. I dont understand why Science is publishing discoveries older as 30 years. Two years ago I entered in to some serious debates on this forum by simply saying this very sam thing as I read from magazines my dad used to read in 85
And now I see it posted here

Edited by qxcontinuum
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

Ok but these are known news since 1980's. I dont understand why Science is publishing discoveries older as 30 years. Two years ago I entered in to some serious debates on this forum by simply saying this very sam thing as I read from magazines my dad used to read in 85
And now I see it posted here

No it wsn't known 30 years ago. As always you are confusing your lack of understanding with that of science.

Time and time again your posts are full of false statements, such as the one above,  which only prove to demonstrate that you seem to be incapable of understanding the difference between what science SUSPECTS and what science can PROVE. To you they might be the same thing, but science relies on a very important thing called EVIDENCE.

• Like 2

You are obviously too young to know such things. In fact if I search through posts I made over an year ago stating that Mars had water and was a known fact since 80's, you called me worse just to create a post one year later announcing old news.

Relax my dear, itll be the same in the next 20 - 30 years. The obscure publications made by fameous space agencies will fade away in time once again and a new generation of rovers will rediscover these things again:)

Edited by qxcontinuum
  • Like 1