Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Eye injections could give humans night vision

UM-Bot

Having glacoma, working on curing that would be higher on my ist than increasing our visual range.

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 11:57 AM, paperdyer said:

Having glacoma, working on curing that would be higher on my ist than increasing our visual range.

Medical Cannabis relieves the symptoms without bad side effects.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, openozy said:

Medical Cannabis relieves the symptoms without bad side effects.

...and the good side effects are very enjoyable...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I fear for whoever volunteers for the first human trials, you don’t (bleep) with your eyes man!  I could see it being a great asset for the military, search and rescue, mining, lasertag, and security though.  And yes the obligatory Riddick mention, first thing that came to mind too.

I had my lenses replaced due to cataracts.  On the down side, plastic lenses cannot change shape like your natural ones; you must choose near focus or far focus.  I chose far focus so I am totally dependent on reading and computer glasses to focus on the near --at- hand.  Yet, I can see the leaves on trees once more.  Rather exciting.  If you have ever tried to ski with corrective lenses, or even walk in the rain, you know  that it is a pain.  No longer.

On the up side, my light gathering power is increased, everything looks brighter.   My night vision is somewhat improved.   Also, a grey shroud has been removed from all colors.  I can see more vibrant colors again.  Prior to surgery, my vision had taken on a caste of fog.  It happens slowly, so you may not notice, but after surgery, the result is dramatic.  I can see the leaves on trees once more.  Rather exciting.  If you have ever tried to ski with corrective lenses, or even walk in the rain, you know  that it is a pain.  No longer.

Not really sure that I need more night vision, but if it is as life changing, cheap, and safe as cataract surgery, I would try it.

Better yet but more complex: a few people are born with an additional color receptor in their retina.  They can detect color variations that most people cannot.   And many shrimp and even bees can see a host of colors that are indistinguishable to humans.  What would that be like? Patterns everywhere that are invisible to humans.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Update:

The scientists, presenting their findings at the American Chemical Society (ACS) Fall 2019 National Meeting & Exposition yesterday (27 August), have now reported progress in making versions of these nanoparticles for human applications.

Also:

The team also has plans to test the technology on dogs as part of its project. “If we had a ‘super-dog’ that could see NIR light, we could project a pattern onto a lawbreakers’ body from a distance and the dog could catch them without disturbing other people,” Han enthused.

https://eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2019/08/night-vision-for-human-eyes-could-be-possible-after-nanoparticle-breakthrough/