Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trudeau accused of corruption

OverSword

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is facing scrutiny after former Justice Minister and member of parliament Jody Wilson-Raybould publicly accused him of trying a squash a corruption and fraud investigation into an influential Canadian construction company.

Wilson-Raybould accused Trudeau and his aides of improperly pressuring her to seek a financial settlement with SNC-Lavalin, The Globe and Mail first reported in early February. The construction and engineering giant holds multiple contracts with the Canadian government and employees approximately 9,000 Canadians.

In her Wednesday testimony before the House of Commons' Justice Committee, Wilson-Raybould said the government pressured the Justice Department to settle with SNC-Lavalin after prosecutors charged the company in 2015 with bribing the Libyan government during the reign of dictator Muammar al-Ghadaffi.

If found guilty of the charges, the company could be banned from doing business with the Canadian government for a decade, potentially leaving the 3,400 Quebec residents employed by SNC-Lavalin out of a job. One of Quebec's pension funds is also one of the largest shareholders in SNC-Lavalin, owning a 20% stake in the company, the Wall Street Journal reported.

Link

• Thanks 7
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, OverSword said:

He was the pretty idiot ushered in to office so the fat cats around him could get rich. He's Canada's Dubya but with even less intel on what his country is involved in. I think he's a terrible leader but I would feel bad for him if he ends up being the fall guy in a situation he doesn't fully comprehend. Thanks for posting

• Like 5

Here's hoping that Wilson-Raybould gets a shot at Liberal Party leadership. There are good people in the party, just far too few. I've never been a fan of the liberals, they've always just been the "better than Conservatives but only barely" option for me.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

If he is corrupt, screw him. He should have never been in politics.

If he's corrupt then what else would he have done except politics?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Trump has been accused of trying to get investigations called off many times.  Just more proof that these people are all the same, just spewing different rhetoric.  Behind the scenes they all serve big money and don't actually give 2 figs about people like us.  They will gladly order us to die in a war if they think it's a popular thing to do.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Meh. We'll probably get a minority Liberal government this fall.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Podo said:

Here's hoping that Wilson-Raybould gets a shot at Liberal Party leadership. There are good people in the party, just far too few. I've never been a fan of the liberals, they've always just been the "better than Conservatives but only barely" option for me.

The only reason the Liberals got in this last time was because of the 'anyone else but Stephen Harper' vote.

Liberals in scandal, Conservatives with an offshoot nipping at their heals and the Orange Wave awash in Quebec.

If Jack Layton hadn't died, I still think that he'd of been PM by now... :angry:

• Like 2

He's accused of frequently looking an idiot, I do know that much 

5 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

the Orange Wave awash in Quebec.

was that Trump?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, OverSword said:

Trump has been accused of trying to get investigations called off many times.  Just more proof that these people are all the same, just spewing different rhetoric.  Behind the scenes they all serve big money and don't actually give 2 figs about people like us.  They will gladly order us to die in a war if they think it's a popular thing to do.

I reckon 10% of politicians are there to make a difference, the rest are feeding off the dying body that is the country’s economy. The people who want power are the last ones who should be allowed to have it

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

I reckon 10% of politicians are there to make a difference, the rest are feeding off the dying body that is the country’s economy. The people who want power are the last ones who should be allowed to have it

Well said, kind of why I look at people funny when they think their party or favorite politician is infallible.  If more of us were centrist and voted less on party lines and more on character or policy we would be better off. But every politicians character is a charade so lol, North America is doomed.

On 2/28/2019 at 5:02 PM, OverSword said:

If he's corrupt then what else would he have done except politics?

Police Officer?  Nah never mind, too blue collar and the pay is terrible.  

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

The only reason the Liberals got in this last time was because of the 'anyone else but Stephen Harper' vote.

Liberals in scandal, Conservatives with an offshoot nipping at their heals and the Orange Wave awash in Quebec.

If Jack Layton hadn't died, I still think that he'd of been PM by now... :angry:

He would have had my vote 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 8:02 PM, Likely Guy said:

If Layton was alive, the whole country would be better for everyone. He wouldn't have lost an election yet.

• Like 1