Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Crew Dragon launches on first flight to ISS

UM-Bot

5 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

Don't know if getting the pretty look is efficient or not, but their craft are pleasing to the eye.

Beauty is often a side effect of efficiency. Look at super cars, jet fighters, people with athletic bodies and symmetrical faces, basically all of nature...

Of course, beautiful things can be beautiful for just aesthetic reasons, like jewelry, art, etc. but there is always a certain beauty in the form of excellent function. At least, IMO.

Edited by Seti42
  • Like 3

It’s possible that naming the test dummy Ripley wasn’t the best idea.

Latest:

SpaceX Dragon capsule docks with space station

America's new astronaut capsule has successfully docked with the International Space Station (ISS) as part of its demonstration mission.

The Dragon vehicle, launched by California's SpaceX company on Saturday, made the attachment autonomously.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-47430432

Am I missing something here? Space-X have launched a capsule that has docked with the ISS. What is so special about that? Fifty years ago - yes, half a century ago - the Apollo astronauts were preparing to land on the Moon. Yet the media have gone overboard with Space-X. When Space-X does something special - like sending people to Mars - then the company will deserve to be hailed as innovators.

3 hours ago, Derek Willis said:

Am I missing something here? Space-X have launched a capsule that has docked with the ISS. What is so special about that? Fifty years ago - yes, half a century ago - the Apollo astronauts were preparing to land on the Moon. Yet the media have gone overboard with Space-X. When Space-X does something special - like sending people to Mars - then the company will deserve to be hailed as innovators.

At least they are doing something. As a life long resident of the Space Coast it has been a sad, sad decline when it comes to manned launches. I have made it a habit to avoid many of the main-stream media's "news" outlets but locally they have barely mentioned it, which I find odd. We finally can launch our own astronauts instead of relying on Russia. 

I too would like to see some great leaps, forget Mars though, too dangerous, expensive and at this point not worth the risk. If an attempt was made, and failed, it would only set any space program back a LONG time. Hopefully we'll concentrate on the moon and setting up a permanent base there to further our capabilities for further exploration. 

Of course with elections coming up in a few years it is likely, like many times in the past, any progress will likely be erased and some other 'goal' put in place. I hope I am wrong about that but history shows otherwise.

1 hour ago, esoteric_toad said:

At least they are doing something. As a life long resident of the Space Coast it has been a sad, sad decline when it comes to manned launches. I have made it a habit to avoid many of the main-stream media's "news" outlets but locally they have barely mentioned it, which I find odd. We finally can launch our own astronauts instead of relying on Russia. 

I too would like to see some great leaps, forget Mars though, too dangerous, expensive and at this point not worth the risk. If an attempt was made, and failed, it would only set any space program back a LONG time. Hopefully we'll concentrate on the moon and setting up a permanent base there to further our capabilities for further exploration. 

Of course with elections coming up in a few years it is likely, like many times in the past, any progress will likely be erased and some other 'goal' put in place. I hope I am wrong about that but history shows otherwise.

I'm not criticizing Space-X. I am criticizing the media for portraying the mission as a major technical achievement. It is great that the US will soon be able to launch astronauts from your own soil again, with the Dragon capsule and with the Orion capsule. I agree a return to the Moon is what is needed. As someone who can remember the Apollo missions I find it bizarre it has taken half a century to even think about going to the Moon again.  

6 hours ago, Derek Willis said:

I'm not criticizing Space-X. I am criticizing the media for portraying the mission as a major technical achievement. It is great that the US will soon be able to launch astronauts from your own soil again, with the Dragon capsule and with the Orion capsule. I agree a return to the Moon is what is needed. As someone who can remember the Apollo missions I find it bizarre it has taken half a century to even think about going to the Moon again.  

Absolutely agree regarding the moon. Mars had been focused on way to much.

I'm a bit cynical about peoples backing of any space program at all. Most are not focused on anything beyond their lifetime to truly start on target for super long term progress in space exploration. 

I think, unfortunately, no one really pays attention anyway. At least SpaceX is actually doing things and at a pace that I find rather impressive. I can actually imagine they'll be getting back to the Moon and beyond before NASA will.

On 3/5/2019 at 1:06 AM, Derek Willis said:

In a number of ways it is a major technical achievement.

It's the first American crew-capable spacecraft with the ability to abort anywhere from the launch pad to orbital insertion since Apollo (Shuttle had no abort capacity on the pad or while the SRBs were firing).

It's the first ever American crew-capable spacecraft with the ability to autonomously dock with another spacecraft (previous manned spacecraft had to be piloted to dock, and the Cargo Dragons used in CRS missions to the International Space Station are berthed with the ISS by the crew using the robot arm).

It's the first American crew-capable capsule-style spacecraft which can be reused (and with much less refurbishment than was needed with the Shuttle).

And it's a dang sight cheaper than the Shuttle ever was.

As for the delay in returning to the Moon, it's only in the last few years that we've had the combination of technical development and wealth concentration that would allow private companies to send people to the Moon - governments these days don't have the appetite for spending money on projects of that sort.