Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Apatheism: your opinion/facts?

ant0n

45 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Doesn't agnosticism say that a false malevolent god rules this universe (or tries to)?

You are thinking of gnosticism, a fun, yet also completley ridiculous "religion"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

You are thinking of gnosticism, a fun, yet also completley ridiculous "religion"

Dammit, there's so many ism's! I think I'll just focus on science from now on...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Dammit, there's so many ism's! I think I'll just focus on science from now on...

I'm going full tilt Discordianism. 

Us Discordians must stick apart, after all.

Hail Eris

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Hail Eris

I know her!

Always fun at parties, makes everyone gossip about everyone

• Haha 2

Just now, Jodie.Lynne said:

I know her!

Always fun at parties, makes everyone gossip about everyone

I dunno, last party she was at, there was this apple....

• Haha 1

Just now, Imaginarynumber1 said:

I dunno, last party she was at, there was this apple....

Oh don't you start!

That apple was bait, I swear. Damn Aphrodite and her "Hey, let's see who the fairest goddess is" game!

I would have ripped those fake blonde extensions right out of her head, if Hera hadn't held me back and said "wait, let's see where this goes".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Oh don't you start!

That apple was bait, I swear. Damn Aphrodite and her "Hey, let's see who the fairest goddess is" game!

I would have ripped those fake blonde extensions right out of her head, if Hera hadn't held me back and said "wait, let's see where this goes".

I mean, not to start drama, but the apple was clearly addressed to me...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

I mean, not to start drama, but the apple was clearly addressed to me...

Uh-huh. Soooooo, how many lady gorillas have asked to >ahem< 'groom' you lately? :innocent:

And just so you know, I was 40th runner-up for the 'most beautiful goddess' category.....

Edited by Jodie.Lynne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Jodie.Lynne said:

Uh-huh. Soooooo, how many lady gorillas have asked to >ahem< 'groom' you lately? :innocent:

Do you really want to know the answer to that?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Do you really want to know the answer to that?

You can PM me with the gory details....

:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

You can PM me with the gory details....

:D

Careful what you wish for....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Careful what you wish for....

I double dog dare you! :P

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

I was going to give my opinions, but I couldn't be bothered. :( 

Surely the true "apatheist"  has no impulse to opine on the subject, at all, thus none will be found here !

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Surely the true "apatheist"  has no impulse to opine on the subject, at all, thus none will be found here !

@Likely Guy

• Thanks 1

It strikes me as humorous that an apathist is said to regard the existence of God as completely unimportant,   No matter how much PROOF of God's existence was evidenced !     What if God was real and his law caused you,because of your life choices,to be cast into a fiery lake to burn for eternity ! ?    ....would the question ,then, gain importance ?    Hehe.

.......then again!   Maybe a true apathist just wouldn't care one way or the other ! Hehe

Edited by lightly

4 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

I wish believers could see the world with my eyes for just 5 minutes, then the world would truly be saved. Saved from folly.

As a species, we have evolved over millions of years.  We have collectively built up then torn down several civilizations.  The aggregation of knowledge is greater today than at any other time and our level of overall comfort, safety and prosperity is greater and is shared by many more people than ever shared it in the past.  Our human drive to explore, experiment and learn has been fueled by our dreams of wealth and power and despite the giddying heights we've reached, there is no doubt that we'll tear it all down again someday.  What was the specific folly you were speaking of sci-nerd?  Do you think that if your world view was shared by all, it would cure us of our basic nature?  What I'm trying to say is that, as destructive as religion has been over the centuries, as a driver of chaos, domination, and wars among humans, it still doesn't compete with plain old lust for wealth and power over others.  THAT has always been the E-Ticket ride for humans during all epochs.  Organized religions have just been a convenient means to an end.

As to the OP, it sounds like a thoroughly modern, enlightened outlook and I believe everyone has a right to hold personal beliefs in keeping with their own, personal expression of conscience but I see one small problem with the way Apatheism is described.  To say that one does not care and would not alter their behavior even if they had proof of the existence of a god, I think that's a bit of whistling past the graveyard.  If your god is of the eastern persuasion you'd do okay but if you found proof you felt compelled to really accept that the God of the Bible, of the three Abrahamic faiths, was who He says He is, that particular God makes it clear He won't be mocked or dismissed like a child.  It's probably better to say "I wouldn't change or obey Him no matter the consequences"  That actually is supposed to be the true state of most of humanity when Christ returns.  During the plagues, manmade and supernatural, the Bible says that people will be so hardened that they will curse God, knowing He is God and knowing that if they changed their minds and decided to obey, they would be saved, they will still resist Him to the last.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, and then said:

What was the specific folly you were speaking of sci-nerd?

To think you know!

Everybody thinks they know. They might call it "faith" but they know it's true.

Even I struggle with that. Having an ontology that makes so much sense, that it must be true, but I try hard to not make it my truth. It's just a favorite option.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, anton00 said:

What do you think about 'apatheism'? Are you an apatheist?

no, god/s do not exist

• Like 1

We would never know a true apatheist  because, by definition, they would be too apathetic to ever discuss such issues. :)  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, danydandan said:

Nope.

"It simply means that a man shall not say he knows or believes that which he has no scientific grounds for professing to know or believe." From the guy who coined the term Someone Huxley. 

Edited: Henry Huxley I believe?

Not so much what a man says, but you are basically correct and that is probably a  "turn of phrase" as much as anything,

Agnosticism is the conscious decision not to construct either  a belief or  a disbelief position concerning the existence of gods,

25 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

To think you know!

Everybody thinks they know. They might call it "faith" but they know it's true.

Even I struggle with that. Having an ontology that makes so much sense, that it must be true, but I try hard to not make it my truth. It's just a favorite option.

Oh, I see.  I didn't understand what you meant.  Yes, having a sense that one cannot be wrong is not a great approach to all things.  It has been my experience that most believers realize how ridiculous some of our tenets of faith appear.  Almost as ridiculous as people used to consider men flying through the air or traveling to the moon or talking to each other face to face while standing on different sides of the planet.  

21 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

no, god/s do not exist

What evidence would you accept that would make you change that belief?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, and then said:

What evidence would you accept that would make you change that belief?

a god or whatever appearing to me= this has never happened in the 60 years of existing on this planet-- why is that do you think?

2 minutes ago, Nnicolette said:

So in other words an apatheist doesn't care about anything.

no, that's not what it means

• Like 1