Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
anton00

Apatheism: your opinion/facts?

158 posts in this topic

Aquila King
8 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

Anyone who cares about others inevitably pokes their nose in.

Would you truly  rather, that no one cared about you enough to try and help you,     or  about anyone but themselves. 

I have no problem with people offering help to others. What I have a problem with are people who try to enact their religious views onto others by force or without the other person's consent - be it through government enforcement, or simply obnoxiously expressing their opinion and advise on most everything you do, despite expressing your disagreement with them numerous times on the matter, asking them to stop doing so yet they persist cause they supposedly "care," as well as never even asking for their advice/opinion from them to begin with. You know, kind of like what you do on here to people all the time.

• Like 2

Dejarma
9 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

You've just been incredibly unlucky, I guess. :) 

so it's all down to luck then- wonderful

Mr Walker
12 hours ago, Dejarma said:

so it's all down to luck then- wonderful

That is subjective.

i had a good life without a god in it 

When god pushed it self into my life it meant huge changes and adaptations. 

Since then my life has been totally different,  but i have to say it has been much "better" where better is measured by objective things like health, happiness,  empowerment, purpose etc 

You might be right. 

You might be very lucky that a god has not entered your life, and thus you have been compelled from within to radically change every aspect  of your mental  and physical landscape. 

There are many benefits, but it is like a marriage.  It comes with costs,  sacrifices, surrender of self,    compromises, and changes. 

jmccr8
3 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

When god pushed it self into my life it meant huge changes and adaptations.

Hi Walker

Where is the inspiration? Cohesion under stress is not an acceptable option for free choice.

jmccr8

• Like 1

Mr Walker
22 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Walker

Where is the inspiration? Cohesion under stress is not an acceptable option for free choice.

jmccr8

You will have to explain your question a bit, as it is it doesn't make any sense to me.

I will answer as i understand it 

You meet a person, fall in love, and get married 

Inevitably this will result in major changes in your life and if you  didn't realise this you will have hard time of a marriage 

Neither marriage itself,  nor your partner, compels or coerces you to change, bBut circumstances require you to  

Part of it is the love you  hold and your  desire to make your partner happy But some of it is just the new physical requirements on your time You might have to sacrifice going to the football or baseball   He /she may also have job and require moving to a new home. He /she might want children requiring major changes in lifestyle

You might have to compromise on the movies you watch or the music you listen to. The time yo go to bed and turn out your light is likely to change.

Your circle of family and friends will evolve and change

It will not be a hardship, (or it should not be)  and no coercion occurs.

It is just the reality of life 

Connecting to, and living with, a god is very very similar  to connecting to, and living with, a loved one.   

Desertrat56
On 3/2/2019 at 1:35 PM, danydandan said:

Isn't it basically agnosticism, kinda!

But this going to break down quickly into a God exists vs God doesn't exist discussion and your initial OP will be forgotten about. 

no, agnostism indicates a waiting for proof one way or another, apatheism indicates apathy towards the whole subject. 

I had never heard of apatheism before but it makes a lot of sense to me, live your life and do your best or not, don't worry about what something intangible that may or may not have effect on your life. 

My question is, does it include an lack of interest in non explainable non-physical experience?

danydandan
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

no, agnostism indicates a waiting for proof one way or another, apatheism indicates apathy towards the whole subject. 

I had never heard of apatheism before but it makes a lot of sense to me, live your life and do your best or not, don't worry about what something intangible that may or may not have effect on your life. 

My question is, does it include an lack of interest in non explainable non-physical experience?

Actually according to the Oxford English Dictionary it is this.

"A person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God"

I call myself an Agnostic Theist because I would like to think there is God but nothing can be or is known about it/him/her/them/us etcetera.

I think you can be apathetic to many things, it isn't solely relating to the existence of God.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 2

Rlyeh

I'd like for a God to exist (not the Abrahamic monster), I'd also like to be a million dollars richer.  I don't believe in either.  

• Like 3