Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Saudi App that lets men control women

Eldorado

"Google has declined to remove from its app store a Saudi government app which lets men track women and control where they travel, on the grounds that it meets all their terms and conditions.

Google reviewed the app — called Absher — and concluded that it does not violate any agreements, and can therefore remain on the Google Play store."

Report at the Insder: https://www.thisisinsider.com/absher-google-refuses-to-remove-saudi-govt-app-that-tracks-women-2019-3

"The Absher system, little-discussed in Western media, contains a log of women in Saudi Arabia and the means to bar them from travel or catch them trying to leave without permission.

Many of Absher's functions are benign and would not be out of place in any local or national government online portal. You can use it to pay parking fines, register a newborn baby, or renew a driver's license.

Vitally, Saudi men can also use this site to specify when and where women are allowed to fly out of the country and grant or revoke travel permission with a few clicks, rendering specific airports or destinations off-limits."

Full Article: https://www.thisisinsider.com/absher-saudi-website-men-control-women-stop-escape-2019-1

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

16 hours ago, Podo said:

Absolutely reprehensible.

Disgusting, makes me wanna puke in a Saudi man's face then they can track that. 

• Confused 1

"Google has declined to remove from its app store a Saudi government app which lets men track women and control where they travel, on the grounds that it meets all their terms and conditions.

Google agreed to meet China's censorship requirements to get their services over there. Google doesn't give a flying crap about freedom or morals.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, odas said:

Disgusting, makes me wanna puke in a Saudi man's face then they can track that. 

Do not hold an unrelated individual accountable for the transgressions of another. Be angry at the Saudi leadership, and anyone who uses such an app, but do not strike out in anger at one who is undeserving.

• Like 2

that is normal thing for Islamic culture, females are more property than anything else,  i wonder why some idiots  have no problem with it taking over their culture, oh well......

• Like 9

31 minutes ago, aztek said:

that is normal thing for Islamic culture, females are more property than anything else,  i wonder why some idiots  have no problem with it taking over their culture, oh well......

This is why they are the UN's choice for "Human Rights". Duh!

• Like 2

On 06/03/2019 at 1:26 PM, Podo said:

Do not hold an unrelated individual accountable for the transgressions of another. Be angry at the Saudi leadership, and anyone who uses such an app, but do not strike out in anger at one who is undeserving.

Azteks post above IS why I said what I said. As a muslim I am fed up with the behaviour of Saudis. Saudi Arabian men are responsible for what is wrong with Islam. They are making a mokery of my relgion. The birthplace of Islam was supposed to be the champion of human rights, human dignity, education both male and female. All according to the Holy Quran. And? The Saudis are the biggest threat to Islam. How can I blame Aztec and others for moking Islam when the Saudis give them what they need to hate. And tomorrow, when some of those googlesaudis come to the west with their wife tracker app they will claim it is according to Islam. Saudis are dirty players, enemys of the original Quranic Islam.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, odas said:

Azteks post above IS why I said what I said. As a muslim I am fed up with the behaviour of Saudis. Saudi Arabian men are responsible for what is wrong with Islam. They are making a mokery of my relgion. The birthplace of Islam was supposed to be the champion of human rights, human dignity, education both male and female. All according to the Holy Quran. And? The Saudis are the biggest threat to Islam. How can I blame Aztec and others for moking Islam when the Saudis give them what they need to hate. And tomorrow, when some of those googlesaudis come to the west with their wife tracker app they will claim it is according to Islam. Saudis are dirty players, enemys of the original Quranic Islam.

I wholly agree. I have read the Quran many times. While nonreligious, I agree with much of its content. Saudi Arabia is a huge problem, and one that must be dealt with. I was more referring to, maybe don't go out and assault a random Saudi dude in the street, since that seems unwarranted. I understand your context better now though, so all's good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Podo said:

I wholly agree. I have read the Quran many times. While nonreligious, I agree with much of its content. Saudi Arabia is a huge problem, and one that must be dealt with. I was more referring to, maybe don't go out and assault a random Saudi dude in the street, since that seems unwarranted. I understand your context better now though, so all's good.

It is just my frustration that gets sometimes the best of me. I don't like hipocryts regardles what background.

• Like 5

Which reminds me of relatively recent comedy in UN, one in which Saudi's drafted resolutions about human rights abuse in Iran.

As quick reminder, one comment by Saudi politician : ''Saudi Arabia’s ambassador to the UN, Abdallah Al-Mouallimi, said the “Iranian people continue to suffer under a regime that does not respect human rights, that denies freedoms, that persecutes religious and racial minorities.He also said the Islamic Republic should stop giving “shelter to terrorists.”''

Quote taken from this link. 

We see strange rise of similar dishonest actions in front of General Assembly (even in front of Security Council) which were not properly reviewed and sanctioned after by authority.

Why should such regime be given access to do such actions and preach to others? While atrocities in Yemen and Bahrain are going on for years, Saudis preach about human rights. While they support terrorism and wild sects which are disgrace to Islam if i may add, and then they accuse others of their own misconduct. All while they are being legitimized by UN and by their close allies. 

It's absurd so this ''app'' doesn't surprise me at all. I can bet that it was made in order to give regime more tools to control discontent woman ( and i am sure that there are many in SA who are feed with their government and rulers). I mean, just imagine how many possibilities there are to defame with this app?

No one likes this we are all like disgusted but our countries are all supporting the scum.

23 hours ago, odas said:

They are making a mokery of my relgion.

I was quite relieved when i learned who that Saudi royal family actually is. Nothing but an insult to Islam, from their support for sects (terror wahabi groups) and distortion of religion (this app for example it is a tool which helps them to enforce the law which is in contradiction with teachings of Islam, woman has special and respected place in Islam but i leave that for other topic) to murders of innocent people in Yemen... Obsession with gold which is forbidden to wear, well more precisely it's advised against wearing gold...There is so much wrong about them but as long as they have support of world governments nothing will change.

• Like 2

why should google take down the app when its own government and the western world protect and treat the Saudi regime as an endangered species? 

• Like 3

On 09/03/2019 at 7:00 AM, Captain Risky said:

why should google take down the app when its own government and the western world protect and treat the Saudi regime as an endangered species? 

Most don’t. 

• 2 weeks later...

oh please, like the rest of the Muslim world are saints, and only evil ones are Saudis, what a b.s. in every Islamic country females are lower class,  honor murders are legal in most of Islamic countries,  if a female gets raped she will be stoned to deaths in majority of Islamic countries, or executed in front of everyone. we see it happen all the time, so how is it that Saudis are the only evil ones

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, aztek said:

honor murders are legal in most of Islamic countries,  if a female gets raped she will be stoned to deaths in majority of Islamic countries, or executed in front of everyone. we see it happen all the time,

Real or fake?

8 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Real or fake?

i'm not sure if you are real, to be honest

Edited by aztek

34 minutes ago, aztek said:

i'm not sure if you are real, to be honest

Well thanks. No question it is barbaric and there is no excuse,  Does it happen in all muslim countries or just middle eastern ones?  Are you stating fact or exaggeration to prove your point?   That is what I am asking.

6 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Well thanks. No question it is barbaric and there is no excuse,  Does it happen in all muslim countries or just middle eastern ones?  Are you stating fact or exaggeration to prove your point?   That is what I am asking.

what exactly are you questioning?

females  having lower social status?

honor killing being legal, in most Islamic countries? 

stoning for adultery in most Islamic countries?

execution for adultery in most Islamic countries?

note that i never said every or all, i said most. 

if you want to argue accuracy of statements then maybe you need to accurately read them first, so far it seems to me that every argument you pick up with me is for the sake of arguing, noting more.

Edited by aztek

1 minute ago, aztek said:

stoning for adultery in most Islamic countries?

execution for adultery in most Islamic countries?

Aha that explains that part.  You said adultery in your original post and I read it as rape.  I guess I just read it wrong.

1 hour ago, aztek said:

if a female gets raped she will be stoned to deaths in majority of Islamic countries,

‘Honor’ Killings Continue in Pakistan Despite New Law

Stiffer Punishments Don’t Appear to be Deterring Crimes

I think that implies it is not legal but still happening.   

But on your major point, you are right. Women getting stoned for any reason is barbaric  I was probably just nitpicking a couple of inaccuracies.  I should not criticize someone who stands up for women in other countries. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Aha that explains that part.  You said adultery in your original post and I read it as rape.  I guess I just read it wrong.

you read it right i did say rape, because they are being stoned for that too. 

Woman, 19, is sentenced to death by stoning for adultery after she was 'raped at gunpoint by her cousin' in Pakistan.

https://metro.co.uk/2017/05/31/woman-to-be-stoned-for-death-for-adultery-after-being-raped-at-gunpoint-by-her-cousin-6673785/

Isis stones to death four women for adultery 'after they were raped by militants', activists claim

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/isis-stones-to-death-four-women-for-adultery-after-they-were-raped-by-militants-activists-claim-a6876886.html

as we see it is not limited to Saudis

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, aztek said:

oh please, like the rest of the Muslim world are saints, and only evil ones are Saudis, what a b.s. in every Islamic country females are lower class,  honor murders are legal in most of Islamic countries,  if a female gets raped she will be stoned to deaths in majority of Islamic countries, or executed in front of everyone. we see it happen all the time, so how is it that Saudis are the only evil ones

I’m the last person to make excuses for a Muslim regime but you’ll find honour killings common place in many Latin American actions and even a few European ones. But that still doesn’t make it right.

Just now, Captain Risky said:

I’m the last person to make excuses for a Muslim regime but you’ll find honour killings common place in many Latin American actions and even a few European ones. But that still doesn’t make it right.

practiced by Muslims living there? or by locals who are not Muslims. because if it is later, i'm pretty sure it is not true, i work with people from Latin america for decades, i have not heard of anything like that as being their traditions.  i wont call you out just yet, on that but i will talk to them again tomorrow and find out. 

5 minutes ago, aztek said:

practiced by Muslims living there? or by locals who are not Muslims. because if it is later, i'm pretty sure it is not true, i work with people from Latin america for decades, i have not heard of anything like that as being their traditions.  i wont call you out just yet, on that but i will talk to them again tomorrow and find out. 

It’s all that Latino macho chit. and yes they’re Catholic. Google Brazil and Argentina would bother with Mexico I don’t think they would even care these days. 

21 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

It’s all that Latino macho chit. and yes they’re Catholic. Google Brazil and Argentina would bother with Mexico I don’t think they would even care these days. 

ok you are right, honor killings in brazil was taking place, but outlawed in mid 80s, 

In a response to the pressure, state governments across Brazil have opened 71 so-called Police Stations in Defense of Women since 1985. Policewomen at the precincts specialize in dealing with complaints of rape and domestic violence. Dimensions of Violence

https://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/29/us/honor-killing-of-wives-is-outlawed-in-brazil.html

yet in Islamic world it is still legal and practiced.

• Like 1