Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

2,000-year-old ‘elixir of immortality’ found

Still Waters

"Given that the elixir is now over 2,000 years old, drinking it today is definitely not recommended."

Elixir of immortality goes bad?

Interesting...

• Haha 1

Why do I have a feeling some crazy people are still going to press to try it. I mean if they petitioned to drink mummy sewage...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nnicolette said:

Why do I have a feeling some crazy people are still going to press to try it. I mean if they petitioned to drink mummy sewage...

I was just thinking that, LOL. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Potassium nitrate is a food preservative, particularly of meat. Alunite is used in pickling, also a food preservation method. One begins to see a pattern here. What makes foodstuffs last was supposed to do the same for a human being. Seems like rather simplistic thinking from our perspective, but twenty centuries ago it probably seemed to make sense.    

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, bison said:

Potassium nitrate is a food preservative, particularly of meat. Alunite is used in pickling, also a food preservation method. One begins to see a pattern here. What makes foodstuffs last was supposed to do the same for a human being. Seems like rather simplistic thinking from our perspective, but twenty centuries ago it probably seemed to make sense.    

I'm sure 20 centuraries from now alot of people will think our health methods are dumb haha

• Haha 1

I've heard that all these preservatives we eat now are making our corpses stay looking preserved longer. I don't know where i heard that though, is that true? Where's the gorilla?

5 hours ago, bison said:

And I think it is simplistic thinking that you assume to know how Chinese people must have thought 2 millennia ago.

• Sad 1

On 3/5/2019 at 9:21 PM, bison said:

The article says the nobleman was well preserved. They don't know if it was meant to be consumed. It would be interesting to know what the studies of the body shows.

• Like 1