Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

18 years of Unexplained Mysteries

Saru

Where is UM HQ?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Hawken said:

Where is UM HQ?

The site is run from the UK, hosted in the US.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Happy birthday UM ❤️ and well done Saru.

• Like 8

Congratulations Saru. Happy 18th UM.

:tsu:

• Like 6

Ahhhh seems like just yesterday when ...

*sniff*

~

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Only two good things came out of 2001. My GF got pregnant with my second daughter, and UM.

Congrats!

• Like 2

Happy Birthday UM..... Its your round and don't forget the cake x

• Like 2

On 06/03/2019 at 2:16 PM, Saru said:

The site is run from the UK, hosted in the US.

I've always thought if this an an American site, but then once Piney said it was Scottish. 

If it is a British site, being histed in the US is probably a very good thing, judging by what happened to the FT last year because of the copyright (whatever the right word is) laws here. 

Happy Birthday.

Edited by oldrover
  • Like 2

Wait, Americans can do all those things listed in Saru's post, but they can't legally DRINK until 21?

What madness is this.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Podo said:

Wait, Americans can do all those things listed in Saru's post, but they can't legally DRINK until 21?

What madness is this.

weeeeelllllll....... one can drink with ones parents, or if ones spouse is over 21, and folks in the military can drink on base but not off base if I’m recalling correctly. It was 18 for a long time, but then in the early/mid-60’s-ish it got upped. Had something to do with highway funding. 

But in general, yep. One can be enlisted, married, having kids, property owning/legal contracting, voting and sometimes  running for office or even an elected official, getting tats and lottery tickets and still can’t legally buy or drink till 21. Depending on state and local law, one can serve or sell when 18. There are also a smattering of dry places that don’t allow alcohol sales at all.

Blood donor is actually 17-lots of high school drives with seniors, some underclassmen with parental consent. Fireworks depend on state and local laws- it can range from 16 and up, sometimes depending on what kind of fireworks, and not all states allow fireworks sales.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 3/14/2019 at 8:28 PM, rashore said:

weeeeelllllll....... one can drink with ones parents, or if ones spouse is over 21, and folks in the military can drink on base but not off base if I’m recalling correctly. It was 18 for a long time, but then in the early/mid-60’s-ish it got upped. Had something to do with highway funding. 

But in general, yep. One can be enlisted, married, having kids, property owning/legal contracting, voting and sometimes  running for office or even an elected official, getting tats and lottery tickets and still can’t legally buy or drink till 21. Depending on state and local law, one can serve or sell when 18. There are also a smattering of dry places that don’t allow alcohol sales at all.

Blood donor is actually 17-lots of high school drives with seniors, some underclassmen with parental consent. Fireworks depend on state and local laws- it can range from 16 and up, sometimes depending on what kind of fireworks, and not all states allow fireworks sales.

Absolutely ridiculous!

• Like 1

Happy Anniversery. Happy birthday. Thanks for allowing all these honorable scholars and ignorant rogues. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

¸ƸӜƷ * ¸. • * ¨ `* •.♫. • ° ¸. • *

★☆ HAPPY 18th ☆★

• * ¨ `* •.♫. • ° ¸. • * ¨` ☆ *  

游昇達 ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
¸
ƸӜƷ * ¸. • * ¨ `* •.♫. • ° ¸. • * y `* •.♫. •   

游昇達 ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆                                                                                        ° ¸. • * ¨` ☆ * 

۩۞۩
  ♥ CONGRATULATIONS

۩۞۩

• Like 1

Congratulations Saru and UM.

• Like 1

You can now also buy a beer in Quebec. I joined in 2004, maybe time to come back a bit more.

• Like 3

18 years of unexplained mysteries is a lot of years without an explanation. Being a fairly new comer here, I came here by recommendation. I was told that here I would find a wealth of knowledge on Atlantis. I'm still looking for this knowledge, but I did find a lot of interesting folks on this site, and many interesting subjects to ponder on. And that is why I linger here. Definitely a place of learning and meeting of minds.

Congratulations to its founder and operator!

• Like 1

18 years! Awesome! I am a high school teacher and this is a common birthday for our classroom. :)

• Like 1