Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Baby T. Rex was an adorable ball of fluff

Still Waters

• The topic was unpinned

nom nom nomm

~

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, third_eye said:

nom nom nomm

~

From the top of the food chain to the bottom. That's where Westerners are headed. :yes:

• Haha 1

Just now, Piney said:

From the top of the food chain to the bottom. That's where Westerners are headed. :yes:

I'm seeing an increase of foodies ( Internet Nomads ) that are traveling and learning all about real food right across Asia, perhaps there is a sniff of a change in the air

~

• Like 1

I'm seeing an increase of foodies ( Internet Nomads ) that are traveling and learning all about real food right across Asia, perhaps there is a sniff of a change in the air

~

Lei Fengs secret recipe? 

Just now, Piney said:

Lei Fengs secret recipe? 

Nahhhh I don't believe there was any secret in the first place, it was just another excuse to put more versions of a tasty variation on the table, the great thing is that the novelty of bizarre foods nonsense is finally wiped off the table and they're really getting into the idea that food that doesn't come in a pretty package or tin can is what food is supposed to be.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, third_eye said:

Nahhhh I don't believe there was any secret in the first place, it was just another excuse to put more versions of a tasty variation on the table, the great thing is that the novelty of bizarre foods nonsense is finally wiped off the table and they're really getting into the idea that food that doesn't come in a pretty package or tin can is what food is supposed to be. 

:lol: That just came out of nowhere. Now I can't stop laughing about it....

As long as they stay out of Korea. G.I. Joe done ruined their palates.....

.....Look, you handle the goat stew. I'll handle the rice. I can't trust you with the rice anymore. :yes:

• Haha 1

Just now, Piney said:

:lol: That just came out of nowhere. Now I can't stop laughing about it....

As long as they stay out of Korea. G.I. Joe done ruined their palates.....

.....Look, you handle the goat stew. I'll handle the rice. I can't trust you with the rice anymore. :yes:

Uhmmmm something off the record, I've met Yanks and Brits that have lived and stayed in Korea, they confessed that they did learn a whole new thing about puppy love, suffice to say it is not something they will willingly share openly with everyone, as one did say in all honesty ' My mum will kill me if she knew about it '

ON a side note, I am reminded of a squid fishing night trip tour years ago, an old fella I was working with on the boat noticed something in the water, gave me a great big smile and told me I was in for a treat. He moved stern and aft the boat before puling up a pot of sea water, brought it up to a slow boil and tossed a few squid off the hook and right in, then some noodles. It was a wok of bubbling inky mess but the taste was out of this world. What he was hunting in the water was the plankton or krill or whatever it was the squid was eating, don't see it all that often that close to the surface but I have no idea, all I know is that the taste is beyond words. The rest of the folks on the boat were dubious and a few of course couldn't even hold in a mouthful but would rather munch on a bag of crackers and chips which kinda says it all, really

It was only much later that I found out that squid ink is also part of some secret recipe of some special dish all across the coasts from Japan to the Mediterranean, I did try it once in some fancy restaurant one time but I guess without that scoop of sea in that first experience, it just wasn't as good. The owner of the Restaurant being a friend I made while he was touring the Island and he invited me, I couldn't afford to eat there in the first place, and we were chatting after the meal joined by the Chef. After hearing of my side of the story, I can honestly say he had tears in his eyes, he told of his first experience at sea with his Italian Grandpa,

~

On an end note, I am the Rice master of the neighborhood, you are still not hearing that the day the rice was soggy, I was not in that kitchen that day

:yes:

~

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, third_eye said:

ON a side note, I am reminded of a squid fishing night trip tour years ago, an old fella I was working with on the boat noticed something in the water, gave me a great big smile and told me I was in for a treat. He moved stern and aft the boat before puling up a pot of sea water, brought it up to a slow boil and tossed a few squid off the hook and right in, then some noodles. It was a wok of bubbling inky mess but the taste was out of this world. What he was hunting in the water was the plankton or krill or whatever it was the squid was eating, don't see it all that often that close to the surface but I have no idea, all I know is that the taste is beyond words. The rest of the folks on the boat were dubious and a few of course couldn't even hold in a mouthful but would rather munch on a bag of crackers and chips which kinda says it all, really

I love squid. I run through it when it's in the house. Especially steamed, pickled in rice vinegar and chilled. I always put it in my salads too. 

I'd love to go back to China. But I look like a Uighur, always get mistaken for one and only speak Quipchak and Nihongo. They would probably think I was Genyosha sent to stir things up. Especially since ISIL and the Saudis have been stirring them already.  

• Like 1

Just now, Piney said:

I love squid. I run through it when it's in the house. Especially steamed, pickled in rice vinegar and chilled. I always put it in my salads too. 

Same here, squids were the poor people peasant food and cheapest picks on the seafood tray not that long ago. Damn consumerism has made it one of the priciest pile out of the sea.

~

Just now, Piney said:

I'd love to go back to China. But I look like a Uighur, always get mistaken for one and only speak Quipchak and Nihongo. They would probably think I was Genyosha sent to stir things up. Especially since ISIL and the Saudis have been stirring them already.  

I don't know senpai, what I am wondering here is if it is not you that is reading the locals wrong, China Chinese is pretty hard to get along with if you give off the wrong vibes on the first smile. Things were worse ten twenty years ago when a lot of them had that 'Chinaman / woman' insecurity complex , now the pendulum has swung and they are going through that Crazy Rich Asian 'Ugly Chinaman / woman' phase not unlike that 'Ugly American / Arab' thing once upon a time. Its that cultural minefield / mindfield divide that does take a bit of awareness to negotiate, the younger ones are more easy going and more open but they still get all antsy when you try to stereotype them with Commie and slanty eye attitudes. I guess no one is immune to that kind of stuff.

Most of the ones I get along famously are those that are really old coots or the really young ones, I don't really know why

~

• Like 1

I don't know senpai, what I am wondering here is if it is not you that is reading the locals wrong, China Chinese is pretty hard to get along with if you give off the wrong vibes on the first smile. Things were worse ten twenty years ago when a lot of them had that 'Chinaman / woman' insecurity complex , now the pendulum has swung and they are going through that Crazy Rich Asian 'Ugly Chinaman / woman' phase not unlike that 'Ugly American / Arab' thing once upon a time. Its that cultural minefield / mindfield divide that does take a bit of awareness to negotiate, the younger ones are more easy going and more open but they still get all antsy when you try to stereotype them with Commie and slanty eye attitudes. I guess no one is immune to that kind of stuff.

Songshan treated me well. Everybody did. But I was "Jimmu the Lion"s nephew. People in Beijing were nice too. They just thought I was Tujue. Face it the yellow green eyes and brown hair make me look Tujue. 

• Like 1

Just now, Piney said:

Songshan treated me well. Everybody did. But I was "Jimmu the Lion"s nephew. People in Beijing were nice too. They just thought I was Tujue. Face it the yellow green eyes and brown hair make me look Tujue. 

Well ... stop thinking Tujue and making you will not be seen so much as Tujue

The Bodhidharma has a lot to say about that but I am sure in Songshan you would have heard it all so I don't have to repeat it one little bit

~