Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woo.

danydandan

3 hours ago, eight bits said:
3 hours ago, third_eye said:

Just to set the record straight, 'wooly' is real and is a good thing, 'wooey' is not real and is not always a good thing

Context is all. It is winter here, and most things wooly are good to wear outside.

As someone in the vicinity of this, I concur!!!!!!!!!

Somebody dreams something that comes true and concludes "I has powerz" is wooly, and that's bad inside and out.

I can assume that too. 

But, those catz who you stole their script from, ( ;) ) are going to be ready for their come back posts. :yes:  

:devil:  

ETA: I was trying to post a cat typing away at the computer gif, but none of them can’t seem to post here. Ah, well. I hope the message was understood. ;)  

Edited by Stubbly_Dooright
I guess, I was getting to catty.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, danydandan said:

What exactly is Woo!

Should such an overarching term be used to describe something's? On this website we have numerous sections each with there own 'Woo' proponents. But what exactly is woo and has it now become a derogatory term we use to dismiss everything we deem counter to our own perspectives? 

I will be the first to say I believe the term Woo has now become this derogatory term outlined above. 

woo-woo
[ˈwo͞oˌwo͞o]

ADJECTIVE
woo (adjective)
  1. relating to or holding unconventional beliefs regarded as having little or no scientific basis, especially those relating to spirituality, mysticism, or alternative medicine.
    "quartz crystals that were so popular with the woo-woo crowd" · "phrases like that will prove a little woo-woo for some readers"
NOUN
woo (noun)
  1. unconventional beliefs regarded as having little or no scientific basis, especially those relating to spirituality, mysticism, or alternative medicine.
    "some kind of metaphysical woo-woo"

ORIGIN
1980s: probably in imitation of a wailing sound traditionally attributed to ghosts and humorously associated with mysticism and the supernatural.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Oxford has been out of touch with the American secne for the longest time. Woo-woo as a description of nonsense is attested in American English way before the 1980's. Most notably, in the Athens of America,

Randi's an American, and no doubt woo-woo as a general expression of nonsense was an influence upon him when he coined just one woo, but his invention is nevertheless distinct.

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

I thought it was the sounds kids make, playing make believe we are on a train thing. :o. ;)

You know, “WOO WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO”

And that is rather strange in itself, since it is a long time since trains made that sound !

7 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

As someone in the vicinity of this, I concur!!!!!!!!!

I can assume that too. 

But, those catz who you stole their script from, ( ;) ) are going to be ready for their come back posts. :yes:  

:devil:  

ETA: I was trying to post a cat typing away at the computer gif, but none of them can’t seem to post here. Ah, well. I hope the message was understood. 

tenor.gif?itemid=9588201

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

The difference is that the cat actually has powerz. Their purr spell settles the case. We are reduced to zombies by the sound.

• Like 3

I do like Farmer's approach.  Woo is more about the method than the conclusion.

Farmer and I could have a disagreement about the existence of Bigfoot.  We could each present from our respective sides reasons and evidence for either case.  We might view the same evidence differently, but  we would have a chain of what we believe are facts and logic linking them to a conclusion.

If Farmer said, "On my way to work today I saw the word Big and the word Foot on three different signs.  That means the universal consciousness is trying to tell us Bigfoot exists", that would be woo.

If I said that I had a dream last night in which the Greenman of the forest spoke to me and said Bigfoot never was, therefore he cannot be.  That would be woo too.

Woo by my definition is the abandonment of logic and the chain of discovery to reach a conclusion without putting in any work or thought.

Because many people believe it does not make it immune from being woo.  I think religion can fall into this category of woo as well.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, danydandan said:

What exactly is Woo!

Should such an overarching term be used to describe something's? On this website we have numerous sections each with there own 'Woo' proponents. But what exactly is woo and has it now become a derogatory term we use to dismiss everything we deem counter to our own perspectives? 

I will be the first to say I believe the term Woo has now become this derogatory term outlined above. 

I don’t consider woo a derogatory term.  Woo is used in a derogatory fashion by those types of materialists or atheists who deny any existence of soul, spirit, or spiritual realms.

Woo can’t be tested by science, it’s something one experiences.  

28 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Because many people believe it does not make it immune from being woo

And conversely, because many consider the supernatural BS, does not make that immune from being wrong, and especially as it only need to be wrong once. One must observe a more conservative approach.

Woo exists on different levels.  There can be natural woo...which one may experience as awe, or inspiration from something beautiful or marvelous.  Then there’s the supernatural woo.  I’ve had some of that and I would like to have some more one day if such a thing be permitted.

And let’s not forget about the workers of woo.  If you can work the real woo, you have spiritual joo joo.

17 minutes ago, Guyver said:

And let’s not forget about the workers of woo.  If you can work the real woo, you have spiritual joo joo.

if-a-man-smiles-all-the-time-hetsprobabl

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, GoldenWolf said:

if-a-man-smiles-all-the-time-hetsprobabl

A woo peddler if you will.

A professional peddler of woo who gets paid for bringing woo, and not to poorly, I might add. ;)

3 hours ago, Habitat said:
11 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

I thought it was the sounds kids make, playing make believe we are on a train thing. :o. ;)

You know, “WOO WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO”

And that is rather strange in itself, since it is a long time since trains made that sound !

I said,  I thought it was the sound kids made while pretending to be on trains.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

tenor.gif?itemid=9588201

Thank you! That’s the very one I was trying to post. How was it you were able to do it? 

• Like 1

Just now, Stubbly_Dooright said:

I said,  I thought it was the sound kids made while pretending to be on trains.

Oh, I know what you said, but kids imitate sounds they are familiar with, and they are not familiar with steam trains !

No cat in the hat, aaaaahw-- I did like the "to hoo?" by three eyes or sparkle kitty.

So -  Does anyone know the root of it eh?!?!?! any etymologists floating by or around?

I'd say it started with the foo fighters era but I could be mistaken.

" One man's woo-woo, of course, is another's deeply held belief system.— Julia Moskin" https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/woo-woo

Oh ,,, don't touch the slang dictionary hahahahaaa!  You all have a goodnight.

Edited by MWoo7

10 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Thank you! That’s the very one I was trying to post. How was it you were able to do it? 

Well, I'm psychic, so I knew which one you were thinking about. Then I telepathically linked to the gif with my mind and placed it in the reply box.

But seriously, I just opened the gif itself in a new window and copied that link into the reply. If it shows up as the pic/video in the reply before you post it, you did it right and it should appear correctly. 

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

tenor.gif?itemid=9588201

That cat has a lot to say!

Must be responding to all the woo posts on UM.

:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

16 hours ago, danydandan said:

But what exactly is woo and has it now become a derogatory term we use to dismiss everything we deem counter to our own perspectives

Yeah, basically that ^

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

That cat has a lot to say!

Must be responding to all the woo posts on UM.

:D

That cat is actually @Harte

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Aquila King said:

Yeah, basically that ^

Yes we have a two person consensus, now my interpretation of Woo isn't Woo!

Do Creationist Woo peddlers call Evolutionists Woo peddlers, Wooers?

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 1

@danydandan: I may have used the word ‘woo’ on here before, but I can’t remember if that is so or not. 

Having said that, my interpretation of ‘woo’ would be defined something like: Something someone believes while being unable to provide evidence for that belief. 

Eg. ‘What you are claiming is simply woo! Where is the evidence?’

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

IDK personally I think maybe the term woo should be used more to define the process one uses to justify their unjustifiable belief in a particular subject than that subject itself.

My "belief" in bigfoot being a good example. I have enough faith in humanity that I think out of the litany of reported sightings enough of them have to be from sober minded - believable folks,I.E the professional Alaskan hunting guide - that its a possibility that they exist. I dont think thats woo, thats just fun conversation along the lines of "who would win Woods or Palmer in their prime?"  . 

IMO where the woo comes in is when I start describing all the reasons to justify the negation of established science, logic and reason in order to argue for BF's existence - government coverups, subterranean existence, ability to see IR in order to avoid trail cams, inter dimensional portals, UFO's etc.

This makes for a good example.

Believing that Bigfoot may exist is not woo.

Believing Bigfoot exists, and then following that belief up with claims of knowledge of Bigfoot behavior, motivation, origins, etc.,,, that's woo.

Harte

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Harte said:

This makes for a good example.

Believing that Bigfoot may exist is not woo.

Believing Bigfoot exists, and then following that belief up with claims of knowledge of Bigfoot behavior, motivation, origins, etc.,,, that's woo.

Harte

Is the claim that JC rose from the dead, "woo" ?