Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woo.

danydandan

1 hour ago, Mr Walker said:

To be pedantic the correct term is woo woo and it can not really be shortened. But i guess people do as they please with words these days

To woo is to court a person '

Your sudden conversion for pedantry is fooling no one but yourself as usual Here your sudden marranostic passion with woo for wooing clearly shows your lack of imagination to discern when the noun became a verb on top of adding to your present failure to demonstrate any credibility to your claims of being that glorified 'Educator' which you are so fond of declaring yourself to be

woo woo is a "modern"  term of undetermined  origin,  although there is some suggestion it imitates the background weird music of sci fi and supernatural tv shows  This may also refer to woo woo used to blind people to the rational and scientific by using "background noise"  ie scientific sounding but completely made up   descriptions of properties etc 

You may want to refresh your photographic memory by speed reading the posts herewith posted already in the thread.

~

ha ha ha  :)  That is not woo.  Too simple and  not enough big words. 

ha ha ha indeed

~

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, third_eye said:

marranostic

There are no results for marranostic

• Check your spelling or try different keywords
  • Haha 3

Just now, Habitat said:

There are no results for marranostic

Its a riddle ... never mind, expatiating it to you WILL BE NOTHING but a waste of time

~

• Haha 2

Did you mean: melanistic

No results containing all your search terms were found.

Your search - marranostic - did not match any documents.

Suggestions:

• Make sure that all words are spelled correctly.
  • Try different keywords.
  • Try more general keywords.

6 hours ago, third_eye said:

Your sudden conversion for pedantry is fooling no one but yourself as usual Here your sudden marranostic passion with woo for wooing clearly shows your lack of imagination to discern when the noun became a verb on top of adding to your present failure to demonstrate any credibility to your claims of being that glorified 'Educator' which you are so fond of declaring yourself to be

You may want to refresh your photographic memory by speed reading the posts herewith posted already in the thread.

~

ha ha ha indeed

~

*snip*

Despite, or taking into account,  what 8 bits says, woo woo is the original term and woo is only a contraction of it. Both mean almost exactly the same thing, with perhaps small variations   like the difference between  "going bat ****" and "going ape **** "   The verb would remain woo woo, if people weren't simply lazy. eg as in fish 

I fish for fish.

People woo woo, on, about woo woo .

I go through a thread answering from the top down, so yes sometimes things have already been discussed. This was the first time i had looked at his thread  

woo woo has been used as both a noun and a verb since at least the early 1960s,  just from my own experience and use  of it  

1 hour ago, third_eye said:

Its a riddle ... never mind, expatiating it to you WILL BE NOTHING but a waste of time

~

Technically it means I do not believe/disbelieve  in mates. ie I am agnostic about mate ship (or if you  take the latin nosis for knowledge it might mean I am knowledgeable about mates  (marra is a  west Cumbrian  word for mate )   

No one can ever know what  third eye means, by anything, however.    :) 

He doesn't believe in enubilating his obscurations,  which are designed to make him sound wiser than he is  (Either that or his spell checker is not working, which is why he cant   expatiate anything to any one) :)  expatiate means to wander.   In English language usage,  it means to  go into a lot of detail about something, often digressing from the topic , so maybe 3rd eye means that  . 

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Haha 1

Here is a recent Australian attested example, where woo is used with enough context to ensure that it means what Randi's coinage means, and not as a synonym for nonsense in general (i.e. not woo-woo):

https://www.skeptics.com.au/2017/01/18/strange-stuff-for-sydney-skeptics/

I am also pleased to see that at least some Aussies are finally acknowledging that they are indeed upside down :) 

On a point arising, 3ye was well within English standards of building adjectives from nouns. Google usually sees through such things, but didn't in this case. which could hardly be 3ye's fault.

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

To be pedantic the correct term is woo woo and it can not really be shortened. But i guess people do as they please with words these days

To woo is to court a person '

When I tried to woo her I found out she was gay. :whistle:

ps   As usual...wait, let me rephrase that....As, Always, @eight bitsis correct about the history of woo woo.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

idiot.!

Now now ... let's not be bursting any blood vessels now

~

Despite, or taking into account,  what 8 bits says, woo woo is the original term and woo is only a contraction of it. Both mean almost exactly the same thing, with perhaps small variations   like the difference between  "going bat ****" and "going ape **** "   The verb would remain woo woo, if people weren't simply lazy. eg as in fish 

I fish for fish.

NOpe, on this occasion, you stank of fish as well as you tanked out on trying to show yourself up as smarter than the casual soapbox top 'yeller'

~

People woo woo, on, about woo woo .

I go through a thread answering from the top down, so yes sometimes things have already been discussed. This was the first time i had looked at his thread  

woo woo has been used as both a noun and a verb since at least the early 1960s,  just from my own experience and use  of it  

That's not too pedantic of you was it, is it sometimes or first time ?

~

Technically it means I do not believe/disbelieve  in mates. ie I am agnostic about mate ship (or if you  take the latin nosis for knowledge it might mean I am knowledgeable about mates  (marra is a  west Cumbrian  word for mate )   

YOur claims to supreme incomparable knowledge abilities fails again. Guess you won't be winning any prizes on this Quiz Show @Habitat can breathe again

~

No one can ever know what  third eye means, by anything, however.    :) 

Do you mean that as an  abstract noun or an indefinite pronoun ?

~

He doesn't believe in enubilating his obscurations,  which are designed to make him sound wiser than he is  (Either that or his spell checker is not working, which is why he cant   expatiate anything to any one) :)  expatiate means to wander.   In English language usage,  it means to  go into a lot of detail about something, often digressing from the topic , so maybe 3rd eye means that  . 

:lol:

Someone set the barbie alight ... we got ourselves a Highly qualified English Teacher pontificating the prawns from the shrimps on the dunes

~

~

expatiate
/ɪkˈspeɪʃɪeɪt,ɛkˈspeɪʃɪeɪt/
verb
gerund or present participle: expatiating
  1. speak or write in detail about.
    "she expatiated on working-class novelists"
    synonyms: hold forth about, speak/write at length about, pontificate about, discourse on, expound, go into detail about, go on about, dwell on;

~

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, eight bits said:

Here is a recent Australian attested example, where woo is used with enough context to ensure that it means what Randi's coinage means, and not as a synonym for nonsense in general (i.e. not woo-woo):

https://www.skeptics.com.au/2017/01/18/strange-stuff-for-sydney-skeptics/

I am also pleased to see that at least some Aussies are finally acknowledging that they are indeed upside down :) 

On a point arising, 3ye was well within English standards of building adjectives from nouns. Google usually sees through such things, but didn't in this case. which could hardly be 3ye's fault.

I must admit i thought Randi was younger and a newer phenomenum than he is . However it depends when he is supposed to have coined the singular  woo particularly for supernatural nonsense  Woo woo was certainly in general usage as such by the early sixties, even in Australia, If he coined it before then,  I am happy y give him credit, but if he used  it after then, then he simply adopted it fromm common usage and shortened it to woo, possibly to make its application more specific for his own purpose.

As to English; well yes it is a funny old language. Quite easy to learn in a general way but very difficult to "get right" in all its intricacies (which are often "local"  and custom/usage based)  unless you spoke it from birth

Maybe  that is because, unlike the classic and romance languages, it is more of a hybrid or bastardised language with very mixed parentage.   

4 hours ago, third_eye said:

Now now ... let's not be bursting any blood vessels now

~

NOpe, on this occasion, you stank of fish as well as you tanked out on trying to show yourself up as smarter than the casual soapbox top 'yeller'

~

That's not too pedantic of you was it, is it sometimes or first time ?

~

YOur claims to supreme incomparable knowledge abilities fails again. Guess you won't be winning any prizes on this Quiz Show @Habitat can breathe again

~

Do you mean that as an  abstract noun or an indefinite pronoun ?

~

:lol:

Someone set the barbie alight ... we got ourselves a Highly qualified English Teacher pontificating the prawns from the shrimps on the dunes

~

Idiot is an Australian idiom of affectionate usage applied when a person makes a fool of themselves in a minor  and somewhat endearing way. 

No matter how much of an olfactory offence i presented to you, i was correct about the usage of woo woo as a verb :) 

Well yes i considered the use of  "verbal meandering"  but it didn't  make contextual sense So either you just made a spelling mistake, and  are now trying to cover it up, OR you tried to use a word almost unheard of by native  English speakers, to make a point, and failed because it didn't   fit  You will note i GAVE that definition also, but it made no sense in your sentence. 

I suspect by your use of google you didn't know the word existed before this, but that might be unfair, because i am sometimes accused of the same.

Like defenestration, I have been using enubilating the obscuration(s)  in  my general  language for decades,  ever since i stumbled upon it. I like the irony of using it.  

Verb[edit]

enubilate (third-person singular simple present enubilates, present participle enubilating, simple past and past participle enubilated)

(rare, transitive) To clear from mist, clouds, or obscurity.

I don't care for teachers and preachers but as you can imagine- woo and esp. woo~woo oh and of course wowee wooing are the epitomes of hilarious banter for some eh!!  I do like edifying reads here and there in the evenings and I must admit, I might be able to glean something from this thread with you two. WOOHOO! for world class woo!  Lastly no reply necessary busy busy these days byebyenow.

Edited by MWoo7
naturally a typo fix _______ oh and after closer study of the joker tomes the word epitome had to be used.

8 hours ago, joc said:
When I tried to woo her I found out she was gay. :whistle:

Wanna here the unfortunate truth? :ph34r:

Spoiler

Some women fake it.

• Haha 2

Just now, Aquila King said:

Wanna here the unfortunate truth? :ph34r:

Reveal hidden contents

Some women fake it.

WHAT!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

Idiot is an Australian idiom of affectionate usage applied when a person makes a fool of themselves in a minor  and somewhat endearing way. 

My, you are up bright and early for a Monday, endear your lies as much as you want, I'm sure no decent and properly or professionally trained English teacher would use it so out of context as you inadvertently did when you did. As for myself, my dear sweet idiotic liar, I'm no fool nor do I suffer fools gladly just for the sake of liars, especially for such a liar with such distasteful disaffection for the truth

~

No matter how much of an olfactory offence i presented to you, i was correct about the usage of woo woo as a verb :) 

Deny it all you want my so self declared warrior of pedantry, you were proven more than wrong, you were proven to be an outright liar. again. :)

~

Well yes i considered the use of  "verbal meandering"  but it didn't  make contextual sense So either you just made a spelling mistake, and  are now trying to cover it up, OR you tried to use a word almost unheard of by native  English speakers, to make a point, and failed because it didn't   fit  You will note i GAVE that definition also, but it made no sense in your sentence. 

I suspect by your use of google you didn't know the word existed before this, but that might be unfair, because i am sometimes accused of the same.

Sometimes ??

Now that's the pedantic understatement of the decade

~

Like defenestration, I have been using enubilating the obscuration(s)  in  my general  language for decades,  ever since i stumbled upon it. I like the irony of using it.  

Verb[edit]

enubilate (third-person singular simple present enubilates, present participle enubilating, simple past and past participle enubilated)

(rare, transitive) To clear from mist, clouds, or obscurity.

General language ... hmmmm ... is that your general bastardization or your standardized lying denominator ?

~

GOod Morning by the way :yes:

~

~

Marranos were Jews living in the Iberian Peninsula who converted or were forced to convert to Christianity during the Middle Ages, yet continued to practice Judaism in secret. ...
Portugal · ‎Spain · ‎Migrations · ‎Today

~

My gift of the top of the morning for you ... Marranostic

;)

~

Edited by third_eye
haven't slept a wink
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, third_eye said:

There are no results for Marranostic

No one can ever know what  third eye means, by anything, however.    :) 

I always know what @third_eyemeans! :yes:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, joc said:

Well, you do have rare gift ! Especially since it is unclear whether he knows what he means ! I expect you must be able to say what "marranostic" means.

4 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Well, you do have rare gift ! Especially since it is unclear whether he knows what he means ! I expect you must be able to say what "marranostic" means.

Hello...this is joc's personal assistant.   joc is currently sniggling for eels somewhere within the confines of the Bliss Lounge...

Please try your call again later....

• Haha 3

I always thought 3 eye was handicapped by a language barrier, but aside from that, he does seem to suck a little too hard on the lemons.

3 hours ago, third_eye said:

My, you are up bright and early for a Monday, endear your lies as much as you want, I'm sure no decent and properly or professionally trained English teacher would use it so out of context as you inadvertently did when you did. As for myself, my dear sweet idiotic liar, I'm no fool nor do I suffer fools gladly just for the sake of liars, especially for such a liar with such distasteful disaffection for the truth

~

Deny it all you want my so self declared warrior of pedantry, you were proven more than wrong, you were proven to be an outright liar. again. :)

~

Sometimes ??

Now that's the pedantic understatement of the decade

~

General language ... hmmmm ... is that your general bastardization or your standardized lying denominator ?

~

GOod Morning by the way :yes:

~

;)

~

At last, a titbit of tasty nutrition in a cesspool of faeces.

It even sounds credible that you knew this before you googled it, and in a way, while not applicable to the sentence you used, it sort of fits me  

I was aware of Maronite Christians  but not marronite ones  Strange tha t wiki  explains what marronite chritians are, yet the word marronistic does not seem to exist, and certainly not marronostic  

Perhaps you were being REALLY clever and subtle, and using it as an epithet  

One source of the term derives from Arabic مُحَرّمٌ muḥarram; meaning "forbidden, anathematized". Marrano in this context means "swine" or "pig", from the ritual prohibition against eating pork, practiced by both Jews and Muslims. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marrano

if so, you were cleverer than you knew, because, indeed, we do not eat pork,  for the same reasons that musllms and jews do not 

So maybe, being from  SE Asia, you are actually of some Muslim descent/heritage,  in which case you might be familiar with such a word as an epithet,  and indeed In your original sentence it was intended as an insult. Ah, its becoming clearer now. :) :)  

You clever old crustacean, you.  

Edited by Mr Walker

1 hour ago, Habitat said:

I always thought 3 eye was handicapped by a language barrier, but aside from that, he does seem to suck a little too hard on the lemons.

I always thought you were an antagonistic old man, always projecting your own fears and shortcomings onto others.  Looks like I was right.

Oh well...back to the Lounge....  :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, joc said:

So what does "marranostic" mean, joc ? What, you don't know ? Stone the crows, the boxed quote is immediately shown to be false ! Maybe 8 bits can tell us, he likes to lecture on word meanings.

4 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

At last, a titbit of tasty nutrition in a cesspool of faeces.

Such that is only that which befits your mind

~

It even sounds credible that you knew this before you googled it, and in a way, while not applicable to the sentence you used, it sort of fits me  

I was aware of Maronite Christians  but not marronite ones  Strange tha t wiki  explains what marronite chritians are, yet the word marronistic does not seem to exist, and certainly not marronostic  

Perhaps you were being REALLY clever and subtle, and using it as an epithet  

One source of the term derives from Arabic مُحَرّمٌ muḥarram; meaning "forbidden, anathematized". Marrano in this context means "swine" or "pig", from the ritual prohibition against eating pork, practiced by both Jews and Muslims. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marrano

if so, you were cleverer than you knew, because, indeed, we do not eat pork,  for the same reasons that musllms and jews do not

Are you attempting to be pedantic in a pathetically subtle way ?

~

So maybe, being from  SE Asia, you are actually of some Muslim descent/heritage,  in which case you might be familiar with such a word as an epithet,  and indeed In your original sentence it was intended as an insult. Ah, its becoming clearer now. :) :) 

Ahhhh , you lost your plot to pedantry, and so soon ... alas ... your literalism failed your claim to purism

~

You clever old crustacean, you. 

Is this a feeble last gasp attempt at an insult ?

~

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Such that is only that which befits your mind

~

Are you attempting to be pedantic in a pathetically subtle way ?

~

Ahhhh , you lost your plot to pedantry, and so soon ... alas ... your literalism failed your claim to purism

~

Is this a feeble last gasp attempt at an insult ?

~

No it was clever pun, along the lines of the one which, if you are honest and clever, you used yourself with the word marronostic.    I will let the lobster simmer for a while before explaining it to you  :)