Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
danydandan

Woo.

180 posts in this topic

Golden Duck
Posted (edited)

Some long forgotten Aussie woo

a2yyx9zj9hi4uolselzg.png

Being unfamiliar with Peter Brock is pretty much unthinkable to Australian auto racing fans, but for much of the rest of the world, that’s the sorry state we live in. This is a shame, not just because Peter Brock was a truly gifted driver and ran a great factory-approved tuning company, but because the story of his downfall is truly fascinating, and involves a box of crystals and epoxythat tap into mythical orgone energy. 

https://jalopnik.com/how-a-box-of-magic-crystals-brought-down-australias-mos-1822559023

Edited by Golden Duck
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

third_eye
7 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Some long forgotten Aussie woo

Didn't Randi pull some stunt about a psychic 'Carlos' over there in Aus back in the 70s ? I remember reading about it in one of Sagan's titles, 'Demon Haunted World' I think

~

• Like 3

Golden Duck
8 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Didn't Randi pull some stunt about a psychic 'Carlos' over there in Aus back in the 70s ? I remember reading about it in one of Sagan's titles, 'Demon Haunted World' I think

~

I don't recall; but, I found this.

In February 1988, Randi tested the gullibility of the media by perpetrating a hoax of his own. By teaming up with Australia's 60 Minutesprogram and by releasing a fake press package, he built up publicity for a "spirit channeler" named Carlos,[48] who was actually artist Jose Alvarez (born Deyvi Orangel Peña Arteaga), a friend of Randi. While performing as Carlos, Alvarez was prompted by Randi using sophisticated radio equipment. According to the 60 Minutes program on the Carlos hoax, "it was claimed that Alvarez would not have had the audience he did at the Opera House (and the potential sales therefrom) had the media coverage been more aggressive (and factual)", though an analysis by The Skeptic's Tim Mendham concluded that, while the media coverage of Alvarez's appearances was not credulous, the hoax "at least showed that they could benefit by being a touch more sceptical".[62] The hoax was exposed on 60 Minutes Australia; "Carlos" and Randi explained how they had pulled it off.[63][64]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Randi

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

third_eye
Just now, Golden Duck said:

I don't recall; but, I found this.

Yup, that's the one right on the magic spot :tu:

~

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mr Walker
On 12/03/2019 at 10:41 AM, jmccr8 said:

Hi Walker

Well that smelt bad.

jmccr8

lol neither crayfish nor prawns are actually fish (from my limited biological knowledge)  but I still enjoyed the play on words 

The final question on one of Australia 's top quiz shows last year  was,  "What is  a smelt"?    The guy had breezed through with hardly a single mistake, but had no idea what a smelt was and thus did not win the final prize. I yelled out the answer to him as loud as I could, but he didn't seem to hear  :)