Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Civil War cannonball' found in castle wall

Still Waters

A "small football-sized" cannonball thought to have been fired during the English Civil War has been found wedged in a wall.

It was discovered during repair work at Castle Cornet in Guernsey.

During the 17th Century conflict, the Channel Island was on the side of Parliamentarians but the castle remained the last stronghold in the British Isles loyal to King Charles I.

Today, the castle is connected to Guernsey by a causeway, but during the conflict it was a cut-off island fortress, which held out for nearly ten years (1642-51).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-guernsey-47481717

• Like 3

Sometime in the late 90's I stayed at a southern mansion in Vicksburg Mississippi. This mansion also had a cannonball lodged in a wall and it was displayed for all to see. It has been there since the Civil War...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JVG said:

Sometime in the late 90's I stayed at a southern mansion in Vicksburg Mississippi. This mansion also had a cannonball lodged in a wall and it was displayed for all to see. It has been there since the Civil War...

This one?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g60985-d78716-i161013059-Cedar_Grove_Mansion_Inn_Restaurant-Vicksburg_Mississippi.html

• Like 1

@Eldorado no not that one it was inside the wall and encased in a glass frame. That was probably 25 years ago when I was still working. The one thing I remember about my room was that  the bed was really high and you almost needed a step ladder to get into it. 

• Thanks 1