Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Young Love

Bex

Secret Ingredient for Elderly Romance

Email this Story

Jan 27, 9:04 AM (ET)

LONDON (Reuters) - A mystery chemical isolated from the sweat of young women seems to act as a romance booster for their older counterparts.

When the researchers added the compound, Pheromone 10:13, to a perfume and gave it to older women, it made their partners more affectionate.

"In diaries kept by the women for 6 weeks, 41 percent of pheromone users reported more petting, kissing and affection with partners," New Scientist magazine said Wednesday.

Pheromones are airborne chemicals secreted from the body and recognized by their smell. Humans and animals emit pheromones.

Joan Friebely of Harvard University and Susan Rako, a doctor from Newton, Massachusetts, studied the behavior of 44 post-menopausal women. Half were given a perfume with the compound while the remainder used a fragrance with a placebo or dummy chemical.

Only 14 percent of women using the perfume with the placebo reported an increase in affection from their partners.

Biologist Winnifred Cutler, the discoverer of the mystery pheromone, is keeping the identify of the compound a secret until patents have been granted to her organization, the Athena Institute for Women's Wellness Research in Chester Springs, Pennsylvania, according to the magazine.

Yeahhhhhh that's what I'm taking about wub.gif

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bex

• warden

• Daughter of the Nine Moons

• VampChilde18

That makes sence, (no pun intended) one thing a remember vividly about one of my ex's is his smell, it was intoxicating, and really, i think addicting, and it was HIS smell, not a colon or anyhting. Anyway it drove me CRAZY.

That makes sence, (no pun intended) one thing a remember vividly about one of my ex's is his smell, it was intoxicating, and really, i think addicting, and it was HIS smell, not a colon or anyhting.  Anyway it drove me CRAZY.

466309[/snapback]

blush.gif That happened to me too once. I was minding my own business. Concentrating on the service at Church, when I turned around and notice this man. I would never ever turn around in Church... unless it was time to "Give an offering of Peace" to the people around me.

There was just something about that guy.

We became great friends but I soon learn why possibly I was drawn to him.

I believe I was attracted to him to be a friend because...

he was in a great accident that left him without a regular part of the male antomy and he was having trouble speaking to women.

He was such a wonderful man and he had that magic ya know. It's sad, he left town but I have never felt that way with a man like that before.

hahaha, please pardon me blush.gif

I believe smell has a lot to do with true love. I dated many women in my younger years, not bragging here. One of the things I love most about my wife is her natural smell even after a heavy workout. I have never noticed this attraction with anyone else. And hope I don't. We have six grown children and love each other as much, mayby more than when we first met.

I believe smell has a lot to do with true love. I dated many women in my younger years, not bragging here. One of the things I love most about my wife is her natural smell even after a heavy workout. I have never noticed this attraction with anyone else. And hope I don't. We have six grown children and love each other as much, mayby more than when we first met.

466325[/snapback]

That's wonderful, Irish.

When you have someone that special, it's a happiness you can't describe.

466325[/snapback]

Aw thats soo sweet happy.gif

I think its alittle gross making perfume out of sweat..

I also met a man once. unsure.gif

I beat the crap out of him because he

was hitting on me woman! Yes! Coyote can be fierce.

Edited by Isaac Lucado

I also met a man once.  unsure.gif

466561[/snapback]

ah yes, another one of your pointless comments. Yes Yes

Tell me, Isaac, why do you respond if you don't have anything beneficial to add?

I'm glad that older people can still enjoy their lives.

Oh sure, some giggle because most individuals don't think older people should make love. It's unfair of us to ridicule them for their vibrant lifestyle.

I'm wondering if this also happens with gays? It seems proven that it works interchangeable between men and women, but does it still have an affect between man-man or woman-woman?

I believe smell has a lot to do with true love.

I think you are correct.

Our sense of smell has lessened considerably over time; however, smell is a huge factor in determining likes and dislikes. One doesn't want to smell the garbage dump, yet one enjoys immensely the aroma of baked bread. Bad breath is a turn off...nice perfume is a turn-on....so we are attracted to certain smells and repelled by certain smells. The chemical reactions between a persons body aroma and the olfactory senses of another can be quite strong as well. Now, that I think about it...I always see ugly guys with beautiful women and vice versa...perhaps this sheds some light into that mystery.

This isn't new however. During the 70's a perfume of sorts was unleashed on a demanding public that went by the name of Musk....I think it was testosterone from the Moose or something weird like that...sometimes I still smell it passing by a stranger in a mall and I am almost completely taken over with it.

I also met a man once.  unsure.gif

466561[/snapback]

ah yes, another one of your pointless comments. Yes Yes

Tell me, Isaac, why do you respond if you don't have anything beneficial to add?

466572[/snapback]

Oh you evil person--=--=-=-=-=--=whats not beneficial to you is beneficial to some one alse

A friend of mine wears perfume made with pheremones. I personally find the smell of it repellant but it must work because she is a 40 year old woman who has dated quite a few twenty-something guys. They find her irristable.

laugh.gif @ warden

In truth though, she doesn't have casual sex as she is a single mom of a teenage son and she doesn't want to set a bad example for him.

I don't know if there is a connection like I said before, to me her perfume stinks.

In truth though, she doesn't have casual sex as she is a single mom of a teenage son and she doesn't want to set a bad example for him.

'Hey, honey, who was that guy you were with at the mall? He's kind of cute. Why don't you give him my number and ask him to call me. Oh, and tell him I don't really smell like I'm 40.' tongue.gif

I dunno if this should be in this category. It's not really bizarre, just interesting. More like good science than strange happening.

I believe smell has a lot to do with true love.

The chemical reactions between a persons body aroma and the olfactory senses of another can be quite strong as well. Now, that I think about it...I always see ugly guys with beautiful women and vice versa...perhaps this sheds some light into that mystery.

466899[/snapback]

Now that makes sense so to speak. My wife is a beautiful women and I look like a movie star ..... Schrek!!!. Thank god for smell. cool.gif

I could not tell you if my wife smelt of any thing when i first met her,all my senses stoped working when i approached her for the first time wacko.gif

I could not tell you if my wife smelt of any thing when i first met her,all my senses stoped working when i approached her for the first time wacko.gif

468450[/snapback]

That's so sweet Warden ahhhhh blush.gif

I'm wondering if this also happens with gays?  It seems proven that it works interchangeable between men and women, but does it still have an affect between man-man or woman-woman?

466738[/snapback]

If you had paid a little more attention, you might have noticed that I am a guy, and was talking about another guy. It was the very first personal story actualy.

Wow that sounds condescending, I didn't mean it that way, sorry.