Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Interesting true stories

Luca-RoseElsie-Raemom1921

Thought I’d start this topic for interesting, funny, different true stories others have, either your own or ones you were told but know are true. 

I posted elsewhere about this it happened to my dad. 

He and his brothers were Rabbit hunting (I think they were teens or just adults, it was before I was born) as they did. 

One of them shoots a wild rabbit, takes it home grandma skins and braises it dad goes to eat it. 
Ouch something hard, pulls bullet n fur out of mouth.

Rabbit previously shot, missed anything vital and hair regrew in area. 

AKA the rabbit that bit back, still eats (wild caught, farmed apparently taste different) Rabbit to this day. 

One of my own stories, I was doing my animal care course 2 rescue Common Wombats were booked in for dental and nail trim. 

No vet nurse students on, so those of us on clinic (we were certificate 3, vet nurse is 4) for that day got told oh you’ll be assisting in surgery. 

The 2 vets who are lecturers to sedate the Wombats (man are Wombats moody things), the male vet looks at me (all 5ft of me) and goes Casey you can help me weigh them. 

They were a bit over 3ft and over 20kg/about 40lb each. 

Get them back in the operation room, get told ok you’re going to check heart rate when we tell you to. 

Had to get help finding the exact spot for heart beat, they’re not little to lift a bit to get to side they’re laying on. 

It was hard but so amazing to do, they’re so stocky, fur is not soft, claws are huge and thick. 

• Like 7

Not sure its what you want but here goes,

My dad passed in 14 at 89 he was into many things and for a basic country fellow very escentric,

For about 30 years he had a bear claw that he made a silver topper and wore as a necklace, the story was colorful, he was hunting and startled a bear it reared up and he drew a pistol shooting at it it yelled and ran off, but my dad said he found its bloody toe on the ground the source of the claw.

I believed the tale all that time and when he passed it was something i asked my stepmother for, she had heard the story and asked me in an odd way did i believe it i said i did.

After his passing i talked to his sister she was in her late 80s and i told her the story, she laughed and said you know when virgil and i were kids we would see who could make up the tallest tale, and i think you fell for one,

About 4 years ago After 46 years in the same place we moved and still arent unpacked, lol,

I ran into the claw and decided to clean it, sure enoughthe claw is resin, what he used in his taxidermy work, it had been airbrushed where it did look real...last laugh on me dad.

Dad story 2, this one joke on him,

In the 80s he was working days as the machinist at the factory in Jacksonville that made king edward cigar boxes, but he was such a good taxidermist he had to turn down much work but a guy was going to pay him a lot to skin a 5gal bucket of rattlesnakes, the guy delivered the snakes assuring my dad they were all dead my dad placed the bucket in his big cooler and a few days later got them out to skin,  problem was as they warmed up one wasnt properly dead, my dad helped him out with a 22 he kept loaded with rat shot he would make himself, but he was pretty upset over that mad cold snake going after him, he told me that he charged the guy an extra fee, but the guy laughed and said, i thought it was dead.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I just happened to be visiting Cleveland Ohio when Amanda Berry and the other girls were found after being trapped in that horror house with Julian Castro. I heard and saw tons of lights and sirens from police cars, etc.

Never been to Cleveland except that day. 

• Like 6

@the13bats what I wanted people to post was their own or other true stories, they feel are interesting or different or worth sharing aka what you and @Aquila King king did. 

Thought be an interesting off topic topic :) 

• Like 2

My father and uncle were wig makers in NYC. Mostly for Broadway, some commercials, some Hollywood movies and Saturday Night Live.

Anyhow, one day my mother took me to “the shop”. I was just a baby (1969-70) At one point some lady started holding me and playing with me. After a while my mother asked my dad “who’s that lady with Carol?”. My dad said “ Thats Faye Dunaway, she’s an actress.”. My mother then said “Never heard of her!”.  

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

My father and uncle were wig makers in NYC. Mostly for Broadway, some commercials, some Hollywood movies and Saturday Night Live.

Anyhow, one day my mother took me to “the shop”. I was just a baby (1969-70) At one point some lady started holding me and playing with me. After a while my mother asked my dad “who’s that lady with Carol?”. My dad said “ Thats Faye Dunaway, she’s an actress.”. My mother then said “Never heard of her!”.  

:o you had a celebrity encounter as a baby how interesting 

• Like 2

Around 15 years ago I took a first aid course (nothing fancy, level 1) that ended about a half hour early and the instructor asked us if there was a procedure that we'd like to cover that wasn't part of the course. Someone said "Since we work with chainsaws, how about a hand amputation". I volunteered to be the 'patient" and the instructor showed us where to apply pressure on the artery and stump as well as to elevate the injury and how to prepare the severed hand for transport.

Less than a week later we were on an old logging block, in the snow over an hours drive from anything. We were using large hydraulic splitting rams to salvage cedar shells to later saw into lumber. The machine was low on hydraulic oil so one guy jumped down to top it up and another guy covered his station for a minute. Unfortunately, he hadn't been properly trained and he put his hand between the butt of the log and the splitting ram and inadvertently stepped on the foot peddle that activated it. The blade cut off his hand between the wrist and elbow.

Initially panic ensued and the next thing we knew me and the only other guy with first aid were packaging up the hand for transport while the big part of the patient was still bleeding. With the other guys yelling at us, "Where's the pressure point!" we quickly snapped out of it when the patient cried out, "Hey guys give me a hand!" Yes, he did have that kind of a sense of humour.

Long story short, we did what we had to do and after an hours drive back into town we were eventually met by an air ambulance that took him away to the hospital in Vancouver where his hand was reattached.

Less than a year later he was playing bass guitar again as badly as he did before.

True story. :st

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I was fishing with my dad, as I often do, several years ago. We land a huge salmon, a monster tyee, and fight it for a solid half an hour. The massive creature got up to the boat several times, but bolted each time. Eventually, it snaps the line, taking the headholder, hooks, and flasher with it. We are frustrated but it's fishing, you lose gear, whatever.

Later that day, after we finish, clean the boat, and go home, my dad phones me all excitedly. Earlier in the day, he had talked to one of his friends who had been fishing that day, and his buddy had told him a curious sighting. My dad's friend had seen, on the surface of the water, a monster tyee swimming around with a red Hot Spot flasher attached to it, about an hour after we had lost the titan. My dad hadn't told his friend about this story beforehand! In the whole ocean, the big spring WE lost happened to swim past someone that we knew. What are the odds of that?

It still makes me laugh, to this day.

• Like 5

I've got no belief in the paranormal so I'm presenting this as what it was, a coincidence.

One afternoon in 2015 I was shopping in the local Tesco, I had an issue on my mind at that time and remember I was mulling it over. Until that was my mind wondered off onto thinking of how I'd explain Stellar's sea ape ( a nonsense creature once allegedly seen by explorer Georg Stellar, the man whom Stellar's sea cow is named for) to my friend Rob. He and I discussed natural gustory, folklore etc regularly but this was a topic that'd never come up. 

On arriving home I checked my emails, within roughly 10 to 20 minutes either way of my suddenly thinking the above I'd received an email from Rob titled something like 'Weird one from the sea cow guy',  asking me if I'd ever heard of Stellar's sea ape, and if so what I knew about it. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

When I was in the army in the 70's I was stationed in Germany and everyone I met when I arrived asked "where are you from."  I told them Albuquerque and they all said "Oh, you must know Adela."  I did not remember anyone named Adela.  I said "Albuquerque has over 80,000 people.  I don't know them all."   I ended up working with Adela and one day when there was nothing much to do we talked about where we went to school.  It turns out I had lived next door to her cousins and had met her when she was 5 ( I was 2 years older than her), and I had classes in junior high with her sister.  :lol:  Small world. 

Once, in the 80's, my parents went on an alaskan cruise and ran in to a couple they had gone to high school with in the 50's.  They grew up in a very small town so the odds were huge.

• Like 2

It was when my first daughter was and my wife had just had my second daughter.   My wife had a few extra pounds on her.

We were going to go swimming at night in a lake my parents live on.   My 4 year old asked my wife if she was going fat-dipping.    Instead of skinny-dipping of course.  

• Haha 2

In the 70's my dad got a job working as a right of way agent for the electric company.  They were putting in a new coal plant in northern New Mexico and it was his job to go around the reservation, researching who owned land that the electric company needed to buy right away rights to.  He spent many years doing that job and he really enjoyed it.  There was a trading post where he would hang out with friends he had made, usually so that he could find someone to tell him where a person lived and how to get there.  He told me this story and I think it is hilarious.  One morning a man showed up to the trading post and asked where a man named Begay lived.  He got directions and took off.  He was driving a white cadalac with a Texas license plate and steer horns on front (probably a rich, crazy oil man).  When he got to the turn off to Begay's hogan he saw a man walking down the road and stopped to ask if that was where Begay lived.  The man said "yes" and kept walking.  When Begay got to the trading post everyone asked him what the Texan wanted and he said "I don't know.  He asked if that was where I lived and I told him yes."  Everyone was still laughing when the man came back to the trading post very angry. 

• Like 3

Buddy of mine was in Berlin on vacation in the early 2000's.  After lunch one day, he and a friend went into a gallery featuring a photography exhibit.  The exhibit was a series of photos taken on Venice Beach in the mid 1980's and my buddy was rather surprised to see his younger self staring back at him from one of the photos the artist featured in the exhibit. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Here i go again,

it was early 70s in orlando i was 8 or 9 and my best playmate was christy a girl a year or two older who lived on the cornor of my street, she was kind of tge leader of us kids the main street was paved but the short side street still dirt and all us kids gravitated to play there.

Somewhere we acquired a metal beach pail, about 10" tall a bit dented and used, it started as just mud pies but you onow kids other stuff got tossed into the mix, bugs of all types, any little dead creatures we found, even dog mess went right in there, christy would stir it with a big stick and to keep it soupy you can guess what some of the more daring kids added to help it along.

she would hide the bucket of putrid mess in her hibiscus hedge to bring it out at odd times, like some weird gross trophy only young brats would covet, sometimes someone would threaten to put some on you with the stick, i was not the most healty child and by this point even the sight of it much less the smell would have me heaving which some of my friends found very funny,

During this same period a middle aged balding man would drive up that dirt road in a very big fancy car, i didnt have a clue back then but likely a gold caddy he would stop at the intersection, he had his windows all down, and call us over waving money, but then expose himself, we would scream running in horror and he would peel away, he got where he did it about every 2 days and what he was doing to himself got more graphic.

we had told christies mother but she never even saw the car and i doubt looking back believed us,

Some days things you think are going really badly take a turn for the better, by the time i got out to play that day a rather extroverted boy named Todd who seldom came around already had the bucket of mess out, it was extra nasty and he was threatening to put it on me, christy scolded him told him to either play with it on the other side of the dirt road or just put it back in the hedges, then we see the gold car, todd was holding his bucket of mess like some terrorist would hold their bomb, over alone on the far side of that little dirt road,

we yelled at todd thats the guy thats the guy, when the man stopped at the cornor i was about 20 ft from his passenger side but saw to my confusion and fear this man doing something to his privates, as he turned to tell Todd to watch almost in slow motion it seemed, Todd upended that bucket right through that guys open window splattering right into his lap covering his exposed part and a lot of him in that disgusting slurry.

The man shriked more like one might expect a nervious lady to do over a big rat as he floored his car through the intersection up over the curb across the main street then fish taling down the street, i bet we heard him yelling ever word we got in trouble for saying at least 1/2 a block.

We all hailed Todd as the hero, never saw that man again but i recall that story anytime i see a gold caddy.

• Haha 3