Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New documentary to investigate Mothman

UM-Bot

I hope its good, entertaining anyway i was rather disappointed when i researched the actual point pleasant mothman stories, its super mundain, very prosiac, not much to it and very embellished and had an old worn out bridge not happened to have collapsed at the same time the mothman would be like the dover demon, or perhaps Flatwoods monster,

Like john keel called it, when he was there "folklore in the making".

We had the convoluted details changing tale of marlon rowe and his claims of being picked up by a huge condor like bird, and depending on the version of the story it drops him.

Papua New Guinea and its claims of pterodactyl like creatures which sport bio lumination.

We have miscellaneous flyingn humanoid shapes which are cool as depending on the viewer they are ghosts, demons, aliens, etc, most look like balloons to me.

The list goes on most encounters are limited to anecdotal evidence the rare few with picture just do not prove anything, its basically impossible to gauge size of an unknown object at unknown distant, especially in the sky.

Seems giant flying creatures wouldnt care about hiding and would be seen far more

Always considered the Mothman a flying Urban Legend anyway and like Bigfoot there are all kinds of sighting reports...Was reading an account I think by Tim Beckley where there was some kind of blood sucking vampire like creature roaming around Point Pleasant. I cannot for the life of me find the article now...Here is an article by Sean Casteel over on Spectral Vision thats pretty interesting:

https://spectralvision.wordpress.com/tag/mothman/

Lon Strickler over on Monsters and Phantoms seems to think these winged creatures are more than fantasy which he denotes in the article...Granted he is basing this on eyewitness accounts and we all know eyewitness accounts lack a lot to be believed. I think these flying humanoids are a lot like the Bigfoot sightings; until some one produces a body or some other physical evidence they are filed under Urban Legend.

• Like 2

( im deliberately not using some names )

It started near PP,  a couple grave diggers claimed to have seen something more like a dementor, then Mothman was very much like dover demon in that a few kids out drinking partying claim to see the alleged creature, one girl who was it seems prone to hysteria did a lot of crying and had badly puffy blood shot eyes and well you know what that morphed to,  so after the kids tell the story other kids tell theirs then a few guys claim to see a large bird, and others claim to see "lights" in the sky, all this is stirred and fanned by a very escentric beat nik writer of odd stuff john keel, who has a convenient habit of seldom stating his sources, which later made me question who much did he make up himself.

Keel pressed little weird things like saying all the women who saw mothman were having their menstrual cycle.

To this day people in PP will say they saw mothman ufos or whatever back in the era,

Any time i look at the classic mothman drawing

mothman.jpg.6ec4ae222d0c9e78ce15c5339c9b1954.jpg

I think of an owl in attack mad stance.

Flying humanoids are tricky as i believe they are lots of different things.

I have seen some huge vulture types here by my house, and i fully believe some birds do grow larger than some of us are used to seeing, and we might see them bigger than they are.

Edited by the13bats
  • Like 1

Never a good sign of a quality documentary when your trailer ends with a gofundme/kickstarter ad.

• Haha 2

They are fun enough but they seemed better talking about off the beaten path bigfoot stories. They were shoe string budget but being about very specific occurrences in a small town they had a certain charm. They almost need to tackle smaller elements of a story like a full doc for the Indrid Cold story.

• Like 1

Indrid cold ?! There isnt much story there Woodrow Derenberger made it up to sell his book even his family believes he made up the stuff, keep in mind his proof was anecdotal only.

Grinning man, the kids saw was a story without any source that john keel wrote about and that while i do not recall him mentioning the name "indrid cold" in his mothman book it was tacked onto the movie but that was hollywood and escentric embelishment writter.

So there is no connection to Derenbergers indrid cold and grinning man, i believe keel made up his grinning man.

However, there is so much myth and embelishment surrounding it you can find youtube click bait documentaries i doubt any are factual.

If you like Derenbergers stuff you might enjoy buck nelson.

Well its more the size of the documentary they had one on the "Minerva Monster" and another on "Boggy Creek".  Those came off ok because the "Small Town Monsters" were dealing with a pretty tight topic.  Seems like they can bite off too much to chew on larger topics.  But if they can go into an area and interview over a few weeks then they have something.  So its interesting enough because they are talking about a specific area other folks might not cover and giving it an hour.  It's not bigfoot its one specific town's stories of bigfoot (or whatever).  

I am actually about as interested in the stories fake or not.  I have always enjoyed information that is highly isolated to a particular group of people.  For example there are these goofy tales related to Hicks Road in San Jose, CA.  I enjoy talking about it with other long time San Jose folks because of how the story morphs with different generations and people coming to and leaving the area.  In talking with folks people told us of a gravity hill near the area of hicks road.  Tracking down that was interesting as it seemed to disappear from knowledge after a certain point.  People older than X might know about it, Younger would not.  I think the geography may have changed enough that the gravity optical illusion was destroyed by housing developments, was the reason for this. 

Im not to interested in isolated little groups they tend to all embelish the made up story to the point of ridiculous,

you would like flatwoods monster or dover demon,  folklore

On 3/8/2019 at 2:50 PM, travelnjones said:

Small town monsters already has a Mothman doc.

I enjoyed the legend of boggy creek documentary they produced.  It fleshed out the story much more and gave a better depiction and peered into the collective psyche of the town.  Everyone seemed genuinely convinced that there were something in them woods, from what I remember.(I was shwasted)The budget shows in the production value, just like in the original from the 70s.

i moved from orlando to a town 10sq miles, eustis, at one time lake eustis was a big deal not so much so the last 50 years, but still a popular recreational very large lake connected with smaller lakes and i bet it wouldnt be hard to perpetuate a myth , create folklore where none is there and have a bunch of people claim that they have seen a creature never there to start with,

I believe boggy creek was just like that as was point pleasant with mothman, its cool to be more and special.

I think Mothman would have been bigger with a cooler name like"Raptor Man" or "Satans Eagle".Something scary and dangerous.Whats Mothman going to do, chew holes in your clothes.

Edited by openozy
  • Haha 3

The story on that was a reporter who needed a name for it because if you track down the orginal reports the kids call it a large bird with red eyes,  not very spooky, she called it "mothman" after "batman" which was on TV at the time.

After my own reaserch weeding out embelishment and out right fabrications i will always believe the kids saw an owl, the description fits, the eye glow, everything,

A lot of stuff was a result of john keel, he would use rather hard suggestions like ask a person have you seen any lights in the sky, no? , are you sure seems there would be ufos here, next thing you know a witness sees ufos....

• Like 1