Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Eternal Employment' will pay you to do nothing

UM-Bot

• The title was changed to 'Eternal Employment' will pay you to do nothing

Is this Occasional Cortez's latest brilliant idea?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

56 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

Is this Occasional Cortez's latest brilliant idea?  

Some variation of Universal Basic Income for "those who are unable or unwilling to work". Wrap your head around that one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sign me up lol

Sadly the money must come from people who are working 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 4

This is in Gothenburg where I live, I am lost for words at the stupidity.
They have earmarked money to have a person on salary for 120 years :blink:

At the moment there is a major construction called västlänken (The west link) that will go on for many many years and cost billions.

https://www.trafikverket.se/en/startpage/projects/Railway-construction-projects/The-West-Link-ProjectVastlanken/

Another new station here in the Haga district gets a giant 318 meter long phosphorus python skeleton.
You´ll enter the station by going through its open mouth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Sign me up lol

Sadly the money must come from people who are working 

at some stage robots and AI will do most of the work so why shouldn't governments overtax technology to provide for those without work. 

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

at some stage robots and AI will do most of the work so why shouldn't governments overtax technology to provide for those without work. 

I get the theory and agree,

I am still just a little skeptical of if a time when robots can do all the jobs and replace humans actually happens. 

The economy and employment is always very organic and adaptive, new fields tend to arrive as old ones disappear. 

We will find out one way or another though lol

• Like 3

Just now, spartan max2 said:

I get the theory and agree,

I am still just a little skeptical of if a time when robots can do all the jobs and replace humans actually happens. 

The economy and employment is always very organic and adaptive, new fields tend to arrive as old ones disappear. 

We will find out one way or another though lol

years ago i had an interesting discussion with a futurist and he said pretty much the same. people working less hours, doing more that one job and having the ability to work via the net, freeing up time to maintain your own lifestyle choices. example you could move to a rural area and grow your own food, produce your own power and water and work part time. when you don't need much you don't need a big income. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Captain Risky said:

years ago i had an interesting discussion with a futurist and he said pretty much the same. people working less hours, doing more that one job and having the ability to work via the net, freeing up time to maintain your own lifestyle choices. example you could move to a rural area and grow your own food, produce your own power and water and work part time. when you don't need much you don't need a big income. 

I can kinda see your friends point in using less and needing less income. Truth is though i would think that free water, power, and acreage for the food to be grown and building the dwelling would still be a substantial investment they would have to work fulltime to payoff before getting any real benefits.:unsure: Just my thoughts.

• Like 1

I live in Sweden i will so singn up to this.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

technically this is not an "equal opportunity "  because it will only be worthwhile to those who live within reasonable travel distance of said station= rediculous

• Like 3

1 hour ago, aniknonymous said:

i really wish someone would pay me for doing nothing

become a Lord

• Haha 2

Sign me up. Despite what conservatives think, there is enough wealth in the world to actually do this for people. The millionaires and billionaires will have to give up a lot, though. It will (one day, in the far future) become a necessity as automation takes over basically every job.

Also, the idea of universal basic income is a solid one. Give everyone enough to have shelter, food, health care, and an education. Anything else you want, well...Work for it.

Edited by Seti42
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Seti42 said:

Sign me up. Despite what conservatives think, there is enough wealth in the world to actually do this for people. The millionaires and billionaires will have to give up a lot, though. It will (one day, in the far future) become a necessity as automation takes over basically every job.

Also, the idea of universal basic income is a solid one. Give everyone enough to have shelter, food, health care, and an education. Anything else you want, well...Work for it.

This isn't necessarily true. If 100 years ago you told families that had farmed for generations that automation would replace the need for workers, they would be rightly concerned about jobs for their children, grandchildren, etc. You wouldn't be able to explain to them that in 100 years their grandchildren will be writing the software or networking the servers for that automation. The loss of labor jobs to automation will make way for jobs that we don't even know about because they haven't been invented, yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

This isn't necessarily true. If 100 years ago you told families that had farmed for generations that automation would replace the need for workers, they would be rightly concerned about jobs for their children, grandchildren, etc. You wouldn't be able to explain to them that in 100 years their grandchildren will be writing the software or networking the servers for that automation. The loss of labor jobs to automation will make way for jobs that we don't even know about because they haven't been invented, yet.

Correct me if I'm wrong but when AI gets advanced enough. It'll be able to teach itself the new jobs because it would create the new jobs. It'll be able to write programs to preform tasks and (this is assuming a hive mind like connection) it'll be able to give orders to connected robots (for lack of a better word). I get what you mean by the "We don't know what because we haven't invented it" sentiment but imo with the rise of AI (assuming it doesn't render the human race extinct) will come the drop of humans working.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, UM-Bot said:

An experimental art project in Sweden will pay you $2,300 per month to do absolutely nothing at all.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/326135/eternal-employment-will-pay-you-to-do-nothing

Is this some kind of experiment to see how a fully automated society would function?

What would they do all day? Coffee shop? Computer gaming? Gym? Politics? Pub? Wont life get boring pretty fast because we would quickly run out of stuff to occupy ourselves all day long?

4 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Is this some kind of experiment to see how a fully automated society would function?

What would they do all day? Coffee shop? Computer gaming? Gym? Politics? Pub? Wont life get boring pretty fast because we would quickly run out of stuff to occupy ourselves all day long?

The idea is with automation ultimately people will stop being a resource used for work and become simply consumers.

I'd like to think that with their basic needs take care of that people would start to turn towards artistic or intellectual pursuits that would better mankind.  Philosophers, writers, researchers, etc.  But the harsh reality is that most will probably be happy just being a pig in a pen with food regularly coming into their slop table.

This experiment should explore that.  I can't say it's all bad.  I know of people who would love to be a writer or florist or the like but can't because the world demands they do something else to feed themselves in the present and save money for the future.

• Like 1

I love Sweden, hate working and going anywhere, so I think I'm the best qualified person for the role.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

'The only snag is that they will have to clock in at the Korsvagen train station in Gothenburg, Sweden, every morning before being permitted to go off and spend their time as they please.'

So what happens if they don't clock in, they don't get paid?  If I was one of them I'd complain to a FairWork Consultant for breaches against my Sick Leave entitlements.

Edited by Black Red Devil

I certainly couldn’t live off $2,300 a month and would probably spend even more because I’d be trying to fill up all that time. Could you punch in a the station then go off to your real job? An extra $27,600 a year would be nice. 

8 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

It's actually very similar to the waning years of my last job, except that I wasn't allowed to leave.  I was the tech expert in a highly automated shop.  I used to compare my job to the Maytag repairman on the commercials.  My job was essentially waiting around for something to break.  I read the paper and drank a lot of coffee with the IBM service tech whose job was basically the same.  People used to pass through and say "must be nice" but in many ways it was the hardest job I've ever had.  I dreaded going in and the days seemed interminable.  Every now and then a creative project would come up when a new piece of software needed to be written or something did actually go wrong and needed my attention.  That was all that kept me from going completely bonkers.

• Like 2

WHY SHOULD BILLIONAIRS GIVE UP A LOT. THEY EARNED IT. SMH...COMMUNISM

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Big Jim said:

It's actually very similar to the waning years of my last job, except that I wasn't allowed to leave.  I was the tech expert in a highly automated shop.  I used to compare my job to the Maytag repairman on the commercials.  My job was essentially waiting around for something to break.  I read the paper and drank a lot of coffee with the IBM service tech whose job was basically the same.  People used to pass through and say "must be nice" but in many ways it was the hardest job I've ever had.  I dreaded going in and the days seemed interminable.  Every now and then a creative project would come up when a new piece of software needed to be written or something did actually go wrong and needed my attention.  That was all that kept me from going completely bonkers.

I can relate.. I've had a few jobs like that for a very short time. It practically drove me nuts! Waiting around for something to do makes the day drag by. It was torture.

I was raised in a restaurant/bar. It was constant activity and a challenge every minute of the day or night. I thrive in that kind of atmosphere.

I love physical work, which meshed very well with the little welding shop my husband and I have had for around thirty years. You never know what is going to come in on a daily basis and it's never mundane.

• Like 2