Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mammoth resurrection is now one step closer

UM-Bot

right...this still seems like a bad bad idea. its gone,leave it be.

I mean what next Raptors?! well I mean we have chickens etc but you know what I mean. cant wait to hear what others think.

Cheers.

Edited by MasterHex
more context.
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, MasterHex said:

I mean what next Raptors?! well I mean we have chickens etc but you know what I mean. cant wait to hear what others think.

Cheers.

Would love raptor ! A savage chicken of death !

• Haha 6

22 minutes ago, MasterHex said:

Cheers.

I'm pretty much in agreement.  We shouldn't resurrect them to be kept as zoo specimens and their place in the eco-system is defunct. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Piney said:

The plan is to release them on the Siberian Taiga where it isn't and needs browsers. But they wouldn't be true mammoths. They would be hybrids.

Indian elephants are genetically closer to mammoths then they are to African elephants. They are technically "bald mammoths".  So what they are breeding is fuzzy cold weather Indian elephants.

The whole thing gives me flashbacks of nightmares I used to have as a younger Danydandan, after I was snuck into the cinema to see Jurassic Park as a seven year old. My poor Godmother still asks me if I  have nightmares about it nearly twenty six years later. 

But anyways the technology is fascinating. Maybe we can breed Raptor/Elephant hybrids so they can defend themselves against the scumbags slowly pushing the African Elephant towards extinction in Africa.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, danydandan said:

The whole thing gives me flashbacks of nightmares I used to have as a younger Danydandan, after I was snuck into the cinema to see Jurassic Park as a seven year old. My poor Godmother still asks me to I have nightmares about it nearly twenty six years later. 

A common myth is we lived alongside of nature. Actually we constructed working ecosystems which provide for us yet maintained themselves. I see this as the rest of the world coming closer to accomplishing this.

We can't repair the planet. It's too late for that. What we can do is rebuild the ecosystems of the planet so they work for us and maintains themselves. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Piney said:

A common myth is we lived alongside of nature. Actually we constructed working ecosystems which provide for us yet maintained themselves. I see this as the rest of the world coming closer to accomplishing this.

We can't repair the planet. It's too late for that. What we can do is rebuild the ecosystems of the planet so they work for us and maintains themselves. 

I take the view that nature is everything!

We are nature, we are apart of nature, all we do is apart of nature, thus everything is natural and nature. Some might disagree but I think it holds true.

We can still repair the planet, obviously not to it state prior to optimised conditions, but stabilisation isn't out of our grasp. 

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 6

32 minutes ago, Piney said:

The plan is to release them on the Siberian Taiga where it isn't and needs browsers. But they wouldn't be true mammoths. They would be hybrids.

Indian elephants are genetically closer to mammoths then they are to African elephants. They are technically "bald mammoths".  So what they are breeding is fuzzy cold weather Indian elephants.

Why does it need browsers?  Has that ecosystem not been getting along without them since mammoths went extinct?  Do we know that this would be more sustainable than the natural process now in place?  Will we also need to bring back sabre toothed tigers to be predatory population control on the mammoths?  Seems like this goes beyond our wisdom.

• Like 1

I don't think Mammoths can hurt that much.

On a geological timescale they haven't been gone for *that* long. The last mammoths went extinct in 2000-2500 BC. And they are a large species with a slow reproductive rate. That would make them (relatively) easy to control, when compared to something like rodents or insects. 

Compare it with re-introducing wolves and bears into central and western Europe. Those places went centuries without wolves. Sure centuries are a much shorter timeframe than millennia, but  I think it can work out and if they get too numerous...just let some hobby hunters at them.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Why does it need browsers?  Has that ecosystem not been getting along without them since mammoths went extinct?  Do we know that this would be more sustainable than the natural process now in place?  Will we also need to bring back sabre toothed tigers to be predatory population control on the mammoths?  Seems like this goes beyond our wisdom.

They were big "bobcats" who jumped Mastodons in the forests.

Several Siberian tribes have the idea they would like to return sections of it to a pre-man state. 

16 minutes ago, danydandan said:

stabilisation isn't out of our grasp. 

It isn't. But biotic exchange has already caused some ecosystems to become unrestorable due to invasive species. Just repairable.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Piney said:

They were big "bobcats" who jumped Mastodons in the forests.

Several Siberian tribes have the idea they would like to return sections of it to a pre-man state. 

It isn't. But biotic exchange has already caused some ecosystems to become unrestorable due to invasive species. Just repairable.

You know what I mean Piney.  Among the predators of mammoths were extinct varieties of wolves and of course the number one predator man.  So I guess at some point after resurrecting them we'll have to hunt them for their own good.  Can you imagine the backlash from that?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

You know what I mean Piney.  Among the predators of mammoths were extinct varieties of wolves and of course the number one predator man.  So I guess at some point after resurrecting them we'll have to hunt them for their own good.  Can you imagine the backlash from that?

When has indigenous tribes ever worried about Lib turd backlash? They are usually cuddling us. :lol:

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I take the view that nature is everything!

I think you remember "Tribal Cultural Resource Officer" does include a background in Forestry ( wetlands) Management.  :yes:

12 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Sorry, I didn't specify. The project is being supported by several Indigenous Siberian tribes ( You know, Indians that stayed behind) In a effort to restore part of their old lifestyle and crawl out of poverty with some tourist traps. 

5 minutes ago, Piney said:

I think you remember "Tribal Cultural Resource Officer" does include a background in Forestry ( wetlands) Management.  :yes:

I member.

But I meant my statement to be taken differently, I think.

I meant everything is natural, regardless if it's man made or not.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, danydandan said:

I meant everything is natural, regardless if it's man made or not.

True that.

But we have to fix the ecosystem we broke or we're in deep poop. 

• Thanks 2

On natural predators: The African Elephant has no natural predators during its adulthood, yet the Savannah's aren't overrun with hordes of Elephants trampling over each other. 

Part of it is the slow reproductive cycle, part is that calves and newborn are preyed upon, and for those (if it is even necessary) there's still wolves and bears in Siberia.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

True that.

But we have to fix the ecosystem we broke or we're in deep poop. 

I honestly think the only way to actually do that is World War Three. You're not going to stop China, India, Brazil or the like growing and developing without it. 

Not that I'm in favour of mass culling of the human race or anything, other then space colonisation I can't see an alternative. We are all a load of greed ****ers and thats not gonna change. Reduce our demands through reduction of population and we'll be good. Again I'm not in favour of this, but can you realistically see an alternative?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I honestly think the only way to actually do that is World War Three. You're not going to stop China, India, Brazil or the like growing and developing without it. 

China has done a full reversal on their practices. They've started replanting forests and cleaning up rivers.

India is the main problem. Brazil runs a close second. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, danydandan said:

can you realistically see an alternative?

I believe in 'Natural Law" so the answer is no. :hmm:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

I believe in 'Natural Law" so the answer is no. :hmm:

Maybe nature has send the anti-vaxxers to this end?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Piney said:

The problem I see with the hybrid, gmo mammoth, it's that it can be patented and they can do whatever they want with it... like ivory production. It's a Pandora box to create other extinct hybrid,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Piney said:

China has done a full reversal on their practices. They've started replanting forests and cleaning up rivers.

India is the main problem. Brazil runs a close second. 

Yeah they are planting home but abroad, Chinese companies are cutting forest in Africa in an alarming rate...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Maybe nature has send the anti-vaxxers to this end?

They anger me. Because volunteering with ARC and the AFSC I've seen too many sick, injured, starving, dying and dead children. But pre-contact one of the jobs of a Kiimochknii was to painlessly and quietly put infants to death who had Down Syndrome, severe retardation or severe birth defects. I'm am actually glad that part was phased out. But 'Natural Law' does dictate the survival of the strongest and smartest.  That doesn't apply anymore and our gene pool will pay the price. 

• Like 1