Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

California governor suspends death penalty

Still Waters

California Gov. Gavin Newsom announced a moratorium on the death penalty Wednesday, halting more than 700 executions in the state.

The executive order grants a reprieve to 737 inmates on the country's largest death row and halts the use of the death penalty in the state, according to the governor's office.

"I do not believe that a civilized society can claim to be a leader in the world as long as its government continues to sanction the premeditated and discriminatory execution of its people," Newsom said in prepared remarks on Wednesday. "In short, the death penalty is inconsistent with our bedrock values and strikes at the very heart of what it means to be a Californian."

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/california-gov-gavin-newsom-announces-moratorium-death-penalty/story?id=61647302

• Like 6

Now if we can just get the murderers to stop enacting the death penalty on their victims, we'll really have something to be proud of!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Only the victims and / or the victims families should decide after the call has been made.

If the family believes justice was once done - this guy has now reversed that.

"I do not believe that a civilized society can claim to be a leader in the world as long as its government continues to sanction the premeditated and discriminatory execution of its people," 

The reason there are so many people on death row is because they are not part of the civilized society. You can not be world leaders as long as you have these murderers in your mist.

If you want a civilised society, then get rid of those who murder civilised innocent people. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

"I do not believe that a civilized society can claim to be a leader in the world as long as its government continues to sanction the premeditated and discriminatory execution of its people," 

In the same State there are marches for the "right" to kill innocent babies. Its celebrated. Are most people >100 IQ? How are so many people so eager to eat up the propaganda without question? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

In the same State there are marches for the "right" to kill innocent babies. Its celebrated. Are most people >100 IQ? How are so many people so eager to eat up the propaganda without question? 

ugh. severe mischaracterization alert.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That’s not controversial at all, if you murder anybody in cold blood, you need to be taken out of society and the gene pool.  The less psychopaths on the streets, the better.  Then again we can’t be putting innocent people to death for crimes they didn’t commit either.  I’m surprised that Cali still had the death penalty.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, EnderOTD said:

Then again we can’t be putting innocent people to death for crimes they didn’t commit either.  I’m surprised that Cali still had the death penalty.

when the system is aimed at convictions, and making money in prisons for profit,  you get wrongful convictions,  

• Like 1

"I do not believe that a civilized society can claim to be a leader in the world as long as its government continues to sanction the premeditated and discriminatory execution of its people,

apparently who ever wrote the article also does not realize civilized society does not just happen, a society becomes civilized when its members act in a civilized manner, also a fact that some never do and never will, so unless they are removed you can't have a civilized society.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EnderOTD said:

Then again we can’t be putting innocent people to death for crimes they didn’t commit either.  

This is a whole different area.

With the technology out there today, eg: DNA, better communications between state records, better and newer forensics,  the chances are that the person on death row - should be there.

If that is not the case, then the governor should be focusing on the cases in doubt, but not cancel those who are not.

The majority on death row - are guilty.  Those who may be innocent are not the serial killers or mass murderers.

There are majority where there is no doubt about their guilt, they should not be getting reprieved.

Amnesty talk about the human right to live, shame they can not get that message through to the murderers who do not give a damn about that when they set out to take an innocent childs or persons life.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, EnderOTD said:

I’m surprised that Cali still had the death penalty.

Not only do they still have it, it was recently put to a vote before CA voters who voted not only to keep it but that they needed to move up the time between conviction and execution. The governor swore he would listen to the will of the people. And just like when CA voted down gay marriage their wants and wishes will be ignored. 

• Thanks 1

In the US you have a higher murder rate than we have here in Canada.

Canada doesn't have the death penalty.

Ergo...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

In the US you have a higher murder rate than we have here in Canada.

Canada doesn't have the death penalty.

Ergo...

Came for this, leaving happy. Well done California. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

Came for this, leaving happy. Well done California. 

Not the initial response I expected. I thought I was going to be called out for being anti-American. :lol:

But seriously, which country in the world other than Canada, does the US have more in common with?

Edit: ...in this regard (capital punishment),not a lot.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Not the initial response I expected. I thought I was going to be called out for being anti-American. :lol:

But seriously, which country in the world other than Canada, does the US have more in common with?

Yes, there are people who deserve to die, but due to overzealous prosecutors, the fact that your income may decide how skilled your defense lawyer may be, plus the obvious bias against coloured people, it's a good thing that they are taking a second look.

2 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

Yes, there are people who deserve to die, but due to overzealous prosecutors, the fact that your income may decide how skilled your defense lawyer may be, plus the obvious bias against coloured people, it's a good thing that they are taking a second look.

Yes there are people that deserve to die, where that line is drawn, I don't know.

• Like 2

I stopped believing in the death penalty when DNA testing started exonerating people on death row. 

The number of people wrongly convicted  is too creepy for me. The state simply has made far too many mistakes to trust their judgment. 

There are cases that deserve it, but bad prosecutions have destroyed all credibility in most states.

• Like 2

It takes on average something like 16 years to get through the mandatory appeals process for death penalty, anyway. It's not like people are being executed within a year or so.