Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Still Waters

Physicists reverse time using quantum computer

Still Waters

Researchers from the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology teamed up with colleagues from the U.S. and Switzerland and returned the state of a quantum computer a fraction of a second into the past. They also calculated the probability that an electron in empty interstellar space will spontaneously travel back into its recent past. The study is published in Scientific Reports.

"This is one in a series of papers on the possibility of violating the second law of thermodynamics. That law is closely related to the notion of the arrow of time that posits the one-way direction of time from the past to the future," said the study's lead author Gordey Lesovik, who heads the Laboratory of the Physics of Quantum Information Technology at MIPT.

https://phys.org/news/2019-03-physicists-reverse-quantum.html

• Like 7

Piney

System restore? :huh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

spartan max2

I don't understand this at all.

If someone can explain the science to me in basic terms I'm all ears lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

danydandan
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

It's basically what @Piney said, nothing more than a clever reset. 

But it's very very clever.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-40765-6

This should be accessible. It's very good. 

Edited by danydandan
  • Thanks 4

the13bats

Great scott marty, warm up the delorean...

• Haha 1

Piney
25 minutes ago, danydandan said:

But it's very very clever.

It still makes time travel to the past impossible. :yes:

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

danydandan
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Piney said:

The headline is awfully sensationalised to say the least!

If you want an honest opinion of the story I think is utter click-bait. At the microscope level there is no direction of time, thus is it really surprising a backwards time dynamic is possible? Nope. 

And because it's at a microscope level it doesn't really have any impact on the direction of the arrow of time. 

@spartan max2 them videos don't really describe what going on here, because of the small degrees of freedom, being manipulated within a Quantum Computer.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Piney
18 minutes ago, danydandan said:

If you want an honest opinion of the story I think is utter click-bait. At the microscope level there is no direction of time, thus is it really surprising a backwards time dynamic is possible? Nope. 

That was my point. Time doesn't exist at a sub-molecular level. Or should I say "Space-Time" doesn't effect sub-molecules because they aren't large enough to "make a dent". 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

sci-nerd
Posted (edited)

This part tells exactly how insignificant and practically useless the test is

It turned out that even across the entire lifetime of the universe—13.7 billion years—observing 10 billion freshly localized electrons every second, the reverse evolution of the particle's state would only happen once. And even then, the electron would travel no more than a mere one ten-billionth of a second into the past.

In fact the only real benefit from it, will be its usefulness in calibrating the quantum computer.

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Thanks 3

danydandan
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

This part tells exactly how insignificant and practically useless the test is

In fact the only real benefit from it, will be its usefulness in calibrating the quantum computer.

Here is the crux of this, this was all done Within a two Qubit program. I'll repeat within a program. 

Now it's basically just running a simulator in reverse. I know it's not basic but you get the point.

The headline should simply be, Computer Scientists program Quantum computer to revert to ordered state. Not that click-baity is it?

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 4

eddword

That's Nothing! I just moved an hour ahead in time last Sunday, and now the Sun is setting an hour later. Now that's what I call an achievement. But no one has made a big deal about it. Talk about an unsolved mystery!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

sci-nerd
7 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Here is the crux of this, this was all done Within a two Qubit program. I'll repeat within a program. 

Now it's basically just running a simulator in reverse. I know it's not basic but you get the point.

The headline should simply be, Computer Scientists program Quantum computer to revert to ordered state. Not that click-baity is it?

Or as the scientists themselves say it: A deliberate calculated kick :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Piney
2 hours ago, danydandan said:

This should be accessible. It's very good. 

I just watched this and the only thing I don't agree with is it doesn't account for a "Big Collapse" or "Universal Reset". Galaxies are drawn together as the Universe expands. Wouldn't there be a "big lump" at the end which produces another "super singularity"? Which then "bangs" again?

danydandan
5 minutes ago, Piney said:

I just watched this and the only thing I don't agree with is it doesn't account for a "Big Collapse" or "Universal Reset". Galaxies are drawn together as the Universe expands. Wouldn't there be a "big lump" at the end which produces another "super singularity"? Which then "bangs" again?

The videos are on what we know, Big Collapse or Resetting are hypothetical at this stage.

I'm a fan of Rodgers Penrose and conformal cyclic cosmology, but alot of people disagree with it. Again that hypothetical too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Piney
2 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I'm a fan of Rodgers Penrose and conformal cyclic cosmology, but alot of people disagree with it. Again that hypothetical too.

Cyclic cosmology fits with Japanese Buddhist and Native theology. I'll have to check the Uni library on his works and do some reading. 

danydandan
4 minutes ago, Piney said:

Cyclic cosmology fits with Japanese Buddhist and Native theology. I'll have to check the Uni library on his works and do some reading. 

It's very hard to read Rodger Penrose he's a true mathematician and writtes like one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Saru
4 hours ago, Piney said:

Sadly I don't think physically traveling in to the past is ever going to be possible.

Seeing in to the past, as we do when looking at distant stars, however, is another matter entirely.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

and then
9 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

I'd really like to be able to grasp the concept but I usually just end up with a headache ;)   

• Like 2

Piney
4 hours ago, Saru said:

Seeing in to the past, as we do when looking at distant stars, however, is another matter entirely.

We're really looking at "old light". Because it takes a long time to reach us. But in a way, yes.

TripGun
Posted (edited)
#include <stdio.h>
int main()
{
 int x;
 for(x=0;x=10;x=x+1)
 {
 puts("What are you lookin' at?");
 }
 return(0);
}
Edited by TripGun
  • Haha 1

ChrLzs

I wonder if it is the media or the scientists or both who decided on the clickbait approach..?

This will just reinforce the ridiculous notions of those who are convinced their belief in the paranormal is explained by the magic word quantum.  Apparently, Quantum-ness explains spirits, ghosts, interdimensionality, FTL speeds, telepathy, psychokinesis, teleportation and of course time travel.

All you need is to read the headlines - don't bother with the details...

Imaginarynumber1
4 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

I wonder if it is the media or the scientists or both who decided on the clickbait approach..?

It's all the media