Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Beto O'Rourke announces presidential run

Still Waters

3 hours ago, hacktorp said:

A 'common-sense' refrain always heard among bovids.

Until it's not.

If you aren't even willing to acknowledge the existence of your own biases, you're in no position to lecture anyone. 

2 hours ago, Setton said:

If you aren't even willing to acknowledge the existence of your own biases, you're in no position to lecture anyone. 

Well, baa-aa...thanks for the lecture.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hacktorp said:

Well, baa-aa...thanks for the lecture.

Anytime. Pop back when you're ready for lesson #2. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Setton said:

Anytime. Pop back when you're ready for lesson #2. 

Thanks, but your last one had more than enough #2.

• Haha 2

On 3/14/2019 at 1:48 PM, Likely Guy said:

But didn't accept any PAC money and the money raised came from 800,000 individuals, mostly Texans.

He also won't make the same mistake Clinton did because he visited every county in Texas at least once during the campaign.

Hopefully all of those 800,000 turn out to be citizens. Noncitizens giving money would fall under the same Act that Trump is being accused of benefiting from.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I am tending to agree with what far left magazine Slate said about Beto running...

Beto is missing one important thing, though: an actual reason to run.

O’Rourke would enter the race as a man without a clear political ideology, a signature legislative achievement, a major policy issue, or a concrete agenda for the country. Those in the know tell the Atlantic that Beto is planning to run as a candidate “offering hope that America can be better than its current partisan and hate-filled politics, and that the country can come together,” but that—brace yourself—he hasn’t yet “landed on how he’ll propose to actually make that happen.” That’s more of the same empty words Beto’s been offering in public since his loss to Cruz. “I don’t know where I am on a [political] spectrum, and I almost could care less,” he said at a recent stop in Wisconsin. “I just want to get to better things for this country.”

The man LOST in the one event that he is actually known for. He was hyped by the media to high heaven, in an effort to WILL him to win. With bias polls that said he would win. And still, though the liberal press did everything they could.... he lost. LOST.....

I hear talk of what's her name... (Does Google search)... Stacey Abrams... will run for Pres now too. Another one that Lost, yet is a media darling.

What is needed is a "darling" of the PEOPLE, not the media. Bernie is the only one that fits that bill so far. Too bad he's basically a communist. 

• Like 3

"I almost could care less"

Couldn't care less...COULDN'T care less....argh! One of my pet peeves! If you "could care less" there is a lower level of caring to be had, if you "couldn't care less" there is no further caring left on the scale.

Sorry, couldn't help myself......had to be said...lol

• Like 5

On 3/14/2019 at 7:01 AM, Dark_Grey said:

Here are a few of his policies as listed on Wiki;

Crime

Reveal hidden contents

In an essay he wrote for Houston Chronicle he repeated a common refrain of his campaign,[140] that "Harris County Jail is the largest provider of mental health services in our state," and quoted the statistic that "the jail has more people receiving psychiatric treatment every day than the nine state mental hospitals in Texas combined."[141] He proposed that politicians work to eliminate private, for-profit prisons, end the "war on drugs," stop using mandatory minimum sentencing for non-violent drug offenses, end cash bail that disproportionately affects those unable to pay bail with longer jail sentences,[142] and provide reentry programs to reduce recidivism for non-violent criminals.[141]

Drugs

Reveal hidden contents

O'Rourke favors the legalization of cannabis.[143] In 2011, O'Rourke co-authored a book, Dealing Death and Drugs: The Big Business of Dope in the U.S. and Mexico, which in part argues for an end to the prohibition on marijuana.[144][145] He has called for the arrest records of individuals sentenced for possession of small amounts of cannabis to be expunged.[142] During the 2018 Senate campaign, O'Rourke's opponent, Ted Cruz, claimed that O'Rourke sought to legalize heroin; in 2009 when he was an El Paso city council member he called for "honest, open national debate on ending the prohibition on narcotics".[142]

Guns

Reveal hidden contents

On the evening of June 22, 2016, O'Rourke participated in the sit-in in the House of Representatives that attempted to force a vote on gun control legislation. When the Republicans ordered C-SPAN to turn off its normal coverage of the chamber, O'Rourke and Representative Scott Peters transmitted images by cell phone to social media for C-SPAN to broadcast.[164]

He supports universal background checks for gun purchases.[165] On March 7, 2018, O'Rourke told Alisyn Camerotaof CNN: "We have a great tradition and culture of gun ownership and gun safety for hunting, for sport, for self-defense... I think that can allow Texas to take the lead on a really tough issue, which the country is waiting for leadership and action on."[166] He has called for a complete ban on assault rifles.[167]

He's close to riding the center line. More so than most of the other candidates, anyway. He recognizes the need for gun ownership and wants to end the war on pot. Mind you, Obama ran on a platform of supporting whistle blowers and we all know how that turned out. If Beto gets in to Office, I expect his policies to mutate in to something much closer to what we have seen the last 20 years.

Exactly! The Left has been working really on their agenda for decades. There is no way they are going to allow someone from their own party to get in the way and slow them down.

Edited by Ogbin
  • Like 1

Beto isn't going to make it out of the starting gate and I hope Howard Schultz runs as an independent.  We need someone else in the mix.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 12:24 PM, OverSword said:

Jay Inslee is the Governor of Washington and also running for president.  He's served as a congressman and governor with a proven track record as governor of a wealthy state that works successfully with big business and has taken many steps toward a greener economy but doesn't get near the attention of this guy.  Is it because the name Beto is ear catching I wonder?  I'm thinking that Beto isn't nearly as qualified as Jay.  This morning I heard the CBS morning show say the democratic party is very enthusiastic about him because they see him as a guy that can raise a lot of funds.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't vote for Inslee, I don't vote for democrats or republicans I'm just wondering what makes this guy the sudden center of attention?

He is energetic, outgoing and full of BS just like Obama. They cannot win on issues so they target the willfully ignorant by focusing on 'Image'. You tell the People what 'They want to hear' and give them the best opportunity to 'Serve self'.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, skliss said:

"I almost could care less"

Couldn't care less...COULDN'T care less....argh! One of my pet peeves! If you "could care less" there is a lower level of caring to be had, if you "couldn't care less" there is no further caring left on the scale.

Sorry, couldn't help myself......had to be said...lol

Goddammit I hate that as well. It's so frickin stupid. And don't get me started on people who use the word literally when they mean figuratively - they mean literally the opposite thing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ogbin said:

He is energetic, outgoing and full of BS just like Obama. They cannot win on issues so they target the willfully ignorant by focusing on 'Image'. You tell the People what 'They want to hear' and give them the best opportunity to 'Serve self'.

The Hollywood crowd seem to think he's the second coming of Obama.  Just Vanilla flavored.  I hope their primaries winnow out all but the most virulently Progressive.  Let the platform include all the freebies the young folks seem to be demanding and let sanity rule in the actual election.  By that time, we should have an electorate that has been dragged through a period of mind-numbing partisanship over the Impeachment of Trump.  

13 minutes ago, and then said:

The Hollywood crowd seem to think he's the second coming of Obama. 

The Hollywood crowd and others, but O'Rourke is nowhere near an Obama. I'm not at all impressed and fail to understand why anyone would want to invest in him.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

The Hollywood crowd and others, but O'Rourke is nowhere near an Obama. I'm not at all impressed and fail to understand why anyone would want to invest in him.

My guess is that it's all about image.  Those in the party who care about the issues facing the nation won't be the ones who put him in the Oval Office - if anyone can.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, and then said:

The Hollywood crowd seem to think he's the second coming of Obama.  Just Vanilla flavored.  I hope their primaries winnow out all but the most virulently Progressive.  Let the platform include all the freebies the young folks seem to be demanding and let sanity rule in the actual election.  By that time, we should have an electorate that has been dragged through a period of mind-numbing partisanship over the Impeachment of Trump.  

The 'Left' realized they screwed up last election due to an over confident and lazy attitude. I suspect this time around they will sit back, watch and learn how much the country has changed the last few years. What they are fighting for must be an attainable goal. Why else would they be fighting so hard if it wasn't in arms reach? Trump will win again. But he will be the last Republican President we will ever have before America destroys its self just as Rome did.

Edited by Ogbin
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ogbin said:

The 'Left' realized they screwed up last election due to an over confident and lazy attitude. I suspect this time around they will sit back, watch and learn how much the country has changed the last few years. What they are fighting for must be an attainable goal. Why else would they be fighting so hard if it wasn't in arms reach? Trump will win again. But he will be the last Republican President we will ever have before America destroys its self just as Rome did.

I agree that he will be the last.  I just hope we get another 4 years of reprieve to prepare for what comes after.  I think the backlash from the PTB is going to be nasty.  Hard choices are coming.

• Thanks 1

On 3/19/2019 at 2:52 AM, DieChecker said:

I am tending to agree with what far left magazine Slate said about Beto running...

The man LOST in the one event that he is actually known for. He was hyped by the media to high heaven, in an effort to WILL him to win. With bias polls that said he would win. And still, though the liberal press did everything they could.... he lost. LOST.....

I hear talk of what's her name... (Does Google search)... Stacey Abrams... will run for Pres now too. Another one that Lost, yet is a media darling.

What is needed is a "darling" of the PEOPLE, not the media. Bernie is the only one that fits that bill so far. Too bad he's basically a communist. 

Just look at the districts these two ran in. They clearly captured a relatively large portion of the independent and GOP vote in crushingly conservative locales. They both lost but in those districts those margins predict huge likeability nationwide.

On 3/18/2019 at 9:13 AM, hacktorp said:

A 'common-sense' refrain always heard among bovids.

Speaking of bovids, I hear @DevinCow now has about as many followers as Devin does.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Speaking of bovids, I hear @DevinCow now has about as many followers as Devin does.

I'm not surprised...even Beto O'Rourke writes mushy poems to Devin's Cow.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

Just look at the districts these two ran in. They clearly captured a relatively large portion of the independent and GOP vote in crushingly conservative locales. They both lost but in those districts those margins predict huge likeability nationwide.

Well, since Cruz's "district" is half of Texas, it will be hard to suggest it varies greatly from the state average. 52% Republican, and 42% Democrat. And Beto got 48%, so there must be some truth in that he got independents, and republicans, to vote for him. Another possibility is Republicans did not vote for Cruz, andx left their ballot empty, or did not vote at all.

Looks based off the voting history that at least 300k less people voted in 2018, then 2016. Which isn't unusual...

I'd probably say Beto's popularity is similar to why Sanders did well in 2016, but is dropping off rapidly today. It was based on the lack of choices. Beto didn't win against Cruz. And Trump crushed Cruz, even in Texas.... so... the math isnt hard.

Stacey Abrams did not almost win because a ton of independents and Republicans flipped. She got 4% of the R vote and lost 2% of the D vote and got 50% of the Independent vote.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/politics/voter-polls/georgia.html?utm_term=.b052268e03e8

She almost won because Democrat constituencies are increasing. Which is not unusual.

• Like 1

He may have just lost any chance he had now that it's come out that he ate "magic dirt" to console himself after his loss to Ted Cruz.  

• Haha 2

On 3/14/2019 at 4:52 PM, Likely Guy said:

What's wrong with boring?

That could be the Canadian National Motto.  :lol:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Big Jim said:

That could be the Canadian National Motto.  :lol:

We eschew drama queens.

11 hours ago, DieChecker said:

I'd probably say Beto's popularity is similar to why Sanders did well in 2016, but is dropping off rapidly today. It was based on the lack of choices. Beto didn't win against Cruz. And Trump crushed Cruz, even in Texas.... so... the math isnt hard.

True but Trump is GOP and Beto is an evil liberal in Texas.

IDK much about Beto but on the surface im just not a fan and while i like Abram's speaking style I think a rotund black woman would be a poor choice to run in the current political environment.

• Like 1