Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What We Think Of As "Paranormal" May Be .....

macqdor

What you have not done is checked out the stories to see if they happened as claimed. Every single story that has been investigated carefully has been shown not to have happened as told

@stereologist thats so false and not true its laughable.

"Every single story" First of all you don't know every single story.  There are stories that never make the front, middle page or back page for that matter.    There are trees falling down right now throughout hundreds of vacant forest right n and no one (man) is there to hear them.  Doesn't mean they're not making sounds.   

I love how you use relative words and twists them as legit.

"every single story"  How many stories you talking about? 2?  5? 20? 200?  300?

"investigated carefully"  Please, pretty please define "carefully?".  Define the words "every single story?"

In that case every single black hole at the center of every galaxy was investigated carefully and proven...............to be true/false.

LOL  what a notion.

24 minutes ago, macqdor said:

@stereologist thats so false and not true its laughable.

"Every single story" First of all you don't know every single story.  There are stories that never make the front, middle page or back page for that matter.    There are trees falling down right now throughout hundreds of vacant forest right n and no one (man) is there to hear them.  Doesn't mean they're not making sounds.   

I love how you use relative words and twists them as legit.

"every single story"  How many stories you talking about? 2?  5? 20? 200?  300?

"investigated carefully"  Please, pretty please define "carefully?".  Define the words "every single story?"

In that case every single black hole at the center of every galaxy was investigated carefully and proven...............to be true/false.

LOL  what a notion.

It's true. Every story that gets investigated is shown not to have happened as told.

I guess you still have a reading and comprehension problem. 

Your tree example is a good example of someone that is having a reading and comprehension problem. 

Your stories never being mentioned also shows you have a reading and comprehension problem.

Your black holes example also reveals you have a reading and comprehension problem.

That's 3 strikes and you are out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is the short list concerning the article.

1. Get's it wrong that para has a connotation of being positive or beneficial
  2. Makes an unwarranted assertion that paranormal today might be commonplace tomorrow. It neglects all of the issues that have remained tall tales.
  3. Falsely claims that paranormal is a fact of nature when they just imaginative fiction.
  4. Falsely claims that not have a rock solid understanding of a subject makes it paranormal. Plenty of counterexamples given.
  5. Forgets to mention that all of the psychic studies done by the government were all failures.
  6. Falsely claims that paranormal research has been a boon to science. Gives no examples because there are none.
  7. Get's the Leeuwenhoek story wrong.
  8. Makes an appeal for funding for the TTSA.

I see that no one wants to bother with the particulars of this rubbish article. Sure there is some disinterested support, but reading the article makes it clear that the article is a rambling mess of mistakes.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, stereologist said:

You are quite mistaken. Science is not about stories. It is about evidence. You show that you have no interest in science.

I think science is great but it is not all that matters. You are taking the position called scientism: (from Wikipedia)

Scientism

Scientism is belief in the universal applicability of the scientific method and approach, and the view that empirical science constitutes the most "authoritative" worldview or the most valuable part of human learning-to the exclusion of other viewpoints.

I for one am not a follower of scientism as I learn from and respect other traditions. In my judgment the quantity, quality and consistency of the anecdotal, experimental and investigative evidence supporting the so-called paranormal is by now overwhelming and beyond reasonable doubt.

In fact, I think one of the reasons many people of science have an irrational resistance to the paranormal is because it so clearly shows the incompleteness of science and on the issues most central to the meaning of life. One reason I hold this position is seeing how as the stronger the case for the paranormal,  the more emotional vehemence is found in the attack. A scientific mind would have it the other way around. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

I think science is great but it is not all that matters. You are taking the position called scientism: (from Wikipedia)

Scientism

Scientism is belief in the universal applicability of the scientific method and approach, and the view that empirical science constitutes the most "authoritative" worldview or the most valuable part of human learning-to the exclusion of other viewpoints.

I for one am not a follower of scientism as I learn from and respect other traditions. In my judgment the quantity, quality and consistency of the anecdotal, experimental and investigative evidence supporting the so-called paranormal is by now overwhelming and beyond reasonable doubt.

In fact, I think one of the reasons many people of science have an irrational resistance to the paranormal is because it so clearly shows the incompleteness of science and on the issues most central to the meaning of life. One reason I hold this position is seeing how as the stronger the case for the paranormal,  the more emotional vehemence is found in the attack. A scientific mind would have it the other way around. 

That would be false. You are quite mistaken.

The idea that science is applicable to everything is incorrect. Even mathematics shows us that even in simple constructs such as algebra there are things that are unknowable.

You can BS all you want about "quantity, quality and consistency".  There is no evidence. It's all stories. You never try to support your story that the stories are any good. You toss out that old line and never ever provide anything to support it.

There is a very rational reason to reject the claims of the paranormal. Investigations show they are not as claimed. It appears to be nothing more than fantasies. 

If there were more than just tall tales then they would be investigated. But it's all fantasies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Step 1 papageorge1 is to show that the stories happened as claimed. Investigations show that is not the case. 

No matter how many stories you read and want to believe start by showing that even one story is as claimed.

• Thanks 1

It's true. Every story that gets investigated is shown not to have happened as told.

@stereologist

No you need to not generalize. Name every story that was investigated?    Every is a very, very large number by any stretch of the imagination.

I think your data pool needs updating.

Investigated by who?

Who are these investigators that you feel investigated every poltergeist case? I'm not aware of any governing body going around investigating ALL (every) poltergeist case.   

Can you drill down for me?  Be more specific?

How many poltergeist cases / incidents do you think are being reported?  Have been reported?  And what percentage have been investigated (your words not mine)?

2 minutes ago, macqdor said:

@stereologist

No you need to not generalize. Name every story that was investigated?    Every is a very, very large number by any stretch of the imagination.

I think your data pool needs updating.

Investigated by who?

Who are these investigators that you feel investigated every poltergeist case? I'm not aware of any governing body going around investigating ALL (every) poltergeist case.   

Can you drill down for me?  Be more specific?

How many poltergeist cases / incidents do you think are being reported?  Have been reported?  And what percentage have been investigated (your words not mine)?

Every investigated story has been shown to not have happened as claimed.

You really seem unable to grasp that simple concept.

And I see that reading and comprehension are still a huge problem for you. You were unable to read the article just as you ware unable to read my posts.

You are just oozing incompetence at responding to what I posted.

Not all poltergeist cases have been investigated because not all cases have been reported.     Thats just one side of the coin.  The other side of the coin is a number of cases have been investigated and proven to be poltergeist related.   One case in particular The Humpy Doo case coming from Australia.   There are several others.  You just know about them.

Now if you want to split hairs and say not investigated based on your satisfaction we can.  Remember you bought the "every" and "investigated" into the conversation. Not me.  I know of a lot of cases that have been investigated and the conclusion being house is "Geist" infested.   My case included. You might not agree but then again you're a severe career skeptic..     There are multiple organization and intelligence agencies within governments operating under the assumption that the phenomena is real.    They don't broadcast that belief openly but they believe.      There are physics and astrophysicists who believe it.    They've told me.  They don't broadcast their opinion openly for fear of running into individuals like you. 

@stereologist

Edited by macqdor

2 minutes ago, macqdor said:

Not all poltergeist cases have been investigated because not all cases have been reported.     Thats just one side of the coin.  The other side of the coin is a number of cases have been investigated and proven to be poltergeist related.   One case in particular The Humpy Doo case coming from Australia.   There are several others.  You just know about them.

Now if you want to split hairs and say not investigated based on your satisfaction we can.  Remember you bought the "every" and "investigated" into the conversation. Not me.  I know of a lot of cases that have been investigated and the conclusion being house is "Geist" infested.   My case included. You might not agree but then again you're a severe career skeptic..     There are multiple organization and intelligence agencies within governments operating under the assumption that the phenomena is real.    They don't broadcast that belief openly but they believe.      There are physics and astrophysicists who believe it.    They've told me.  They don't broadcast their opinion openly for fear of running into individuals like you. 

@stereologist

LOL. You still are having a reading and comprehension problem. That seems to be the norm.

There are plenty of wishy washy pretend investigations that you might refer to. You had two joke investigations at your place. Is that the sort of laughable exercise you think is an investigation?

I love this fantasy of yours: "There are multiple organization and intelligence agencies within governments operating under the assumption that the phenomena is real. " What a wonderful delusion. :lol:

Of course that has to be followed by a laughable excuse "They don't broadcast that belief openly but they believe." :lol:

I love this nonsensical excuse "They don't broadcast their opinion openly for fear of running into individuals like you.":lol:

The simple fact of the matter is that every investigation shows that the events claimed did not happen as claimed.

Getting a "and the conclusion being house is "Geist" infested." Is so funny when it is done by someone that lies about their background, is involved in multiple frauds, and another person who is a crazed stalker. 

All we have here is you making up more stories about nebulous government agencies, unnamed scientists, pretend investigators. Keep up the humor!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is the short list concerning the article.

1. Get's it wrong that para has a connotation of being positive or beneficial
  2. Makes an unwarranted assertion that paranormal today might be commonplace tomorrow. It neglects all of the issues that have remained tall tales.
  3. Falsely claims that paranormal is a fact of nature when they just imaginative fiction.
  4. Falsely claims that not have a rock solid understanding of a subject makes it paranormal. Plenty of counterexamples given.
  5. Forgets to mention that all of the psychic studies done by the government were all failures.
  6. Falsely claims that paranormal research has been a boon to science. Gives no examples because there are none.
  7. Get's the Leeuwenhoek story wrong.
  8. Makes an appeal for funding for the TTSA.

Someone claimed this was an excellent article and I say it is rubbish. Anyone want to defend  the claims of the article being excellent?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I want a job with the government agencies that take paranormal phenomena seriously. 

Are they like the ones in Hellboy? That would be cool! Or maybe they are like that one in Dr. Strange. Imagine working in that warehouse at the end of Indiana Jones!

Fun stuff to imagine, imagine being the key word.

• Like 2

I agree with Stereo..I saw somethings in the article that I thought questionable as well but I am not going to all the trouble.

you're generalizing.  Big time!     @stereologist

generalize[jen-er-uh-lahyz]

to infer (a general principle, trend, etc.) from particular facts, statistics, or the like.
to infer or form (a general principle, opinion, conclusion, etc.) from only a few facts, examples, or the like.

as you were !   LOL

;)

Just now, macqdor said:

as you were !   LOL

;)

I guess you still can't read and comprehend. 

You really should try and read my posts and respond to what I posted, not your fantasy du jour is

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Part of the article would like people to think that paranormal is normal. The author wants to lull people into thinking it's anything you want it to be.

That leads people into falsely accepting some bizarre claim as being normal.

1 minute ago, macqdor said:

as you were !   LOL

;)

I think the problem here is that the 'facts' presented have proven to be less than convincing unless you are a believer anyway. 

As far as "every" story. I think it is pretty clear that "every" is meant to describe "every" story that has made itself available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, macqdor said:

@papageorge1

So very true.  I think it was Werner Heisenberg that said.

which supports my argument of there being more things in existence that we don't know about than know about.

You tried to hijack a masterminds thought to the benefit of your mambo-jambo. By his quote, Heisenberg talked about a topic that is not accessible or comprehensible to you in general and the quote isnt related to something "paranormal".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think the problem here is that the 'facts' presented have proven to be less than convincing unless you are a believer anyway. 

As far as "every" story. I think it is pretty clear that "every" is meant to describe "every" story that has made itself available.

I wasn't a believer. I was open minded.   If you told me about poltergeist seven years a go I would have nodded and said you mean that Spielberg movie?  If you told me the term poltergeist is real. That people report experiencing that stuff. I wouldn't call those people liars. I'd find there experiencing interesting while at the same time praying to myself (in silence) I hope I never go through something like it.   I'd be 50/50

I know people who believe in poltergeist tooth and nail.  They've yet to experience one. I know people who don't believe at all.  They've yet to experience one either.  What does that tell you?

IMO it tell's you he/she who goes through life open minded, who posses a a percentage of acceptance of the unknown, may in fact experience something.

I couldn't tell you what a poltergeist was in April 30th, 2012 if my life depended on it.   Couch levitate and all the other stuff "Geist" are known to do I saw.  

Now I'm a life long member of "geist" club LOL.  Didnt ask for it. S%&t happens 

• Thanks 1

You tried to hijack a masterminds thought to the benefit of your mambo-jambo. By his quote, Heisenberg talked about a topic that is not accessible or comprehensible to you in general and the quote isnt related to something "paranormal".

@toast

i beg to differ.   

“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you.” 
 Neil deGrasse Tyson

neither is the paranormal.  

Whenever there is actual evidence for the paranormal then  there will be an actual discussion.

So far there is nothing.

Pretending that Tyson's quote is somehow germane to the issue of the paranormal is the typical misuse I'd expect from those with nothing to show.

• Like 1

It is germaine to the issue.  To the article itself.

When Poltergeist are ready for science to figure them out. They'll tell them.  Until then that phenomena and others like it will continue to be called paranormal. 

5 minutes ago, macqdor said:

It is germaine to the issue.  To the article itself.

When Poltergeist are ready for science to figure them out. They'll tell them.  Until then that phenomena and others like it will continue to be called paranormal. 

I'll wait for the evidence. Till then please continue with your delusional fantasy.

• Like 1

"The world, we are told, was made especially for man — a presumption not supported by all the facts."
John Muir,
Someone where in this vast universe (far way) someone thinks you dont exist.

Let that marinate on you for a few tics.

3 minutes ago, macqdor said:
"The world, we are told, was made especially for man — a presumption not supported by all the facts."
John Muir,
Someone where in this vast universe (far way) someone thinks you dont exist.

Let that marinate on you for a few tics.

Now you want to bore us all instead of providing evidence.

I'll wait for the evidence. Till then please continue with your delusional fantasy.