Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Travel By Tube At 600 mph

susieice

I just found this article. Now they want to suck us through tubes at 600-700 mph like a canister at a bank drive thru. Travel time between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh would be 30 minutes. I don't know. What do you think UM? What could possibly go wrong?

https://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-nws-pa-cross-state-hyperloop-feasibility-study-20190314-story.html?fbclid=IwAR2KDcxLsQmwHX1_hWiOp6sUEh1fpOfs4ySO0_EQHoH-spAQajqz11gUePg

Edited by susieice
  • Like 5

Nothing that doesn't all ready go wrong with other forms of mass transit.

Why are so many people here scared of advancing technology?

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Why are so many people here scared of advancing technology?

Never seen it.

Not 'scared', just suspicious.

• Like 2

Since this is the hyperloop again here are the problems with it.

First hyperloops on the scale suggested deal with insanely high pressure differences and any tiny puncture in the tube would cause catastrophic failure among the entire tube.

Another problem is hyperloops tend to accelerate and deaccelerate things very quickly, within a second or less.  Humans tends not to be very good at surviving near instant changes in high accelerations.

There are other problems but those are the two most dangerous.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.interestingengineering.com/biggest-challenges-stand-in-the-way-of-hyperloop

That link goes into more detail and into more problems with hyperloops.  There is a reason why despite being around for over a 100 years they arent used for travel.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DarkHunter said:

First hyperloops on the scale suggested deal with insanely high pressure differences and any tiny puncture in the tube would cause catastrophic failure among the entire tube.

Another problem is hyperloops tend to accelerate and deaccelerate things very quickly, within a second or less.  Humans tends not to be very good at surviving near instant changes in high accelerations.

There are other problems but those are the two most dangerous.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.interestingengineering.com/biggest-challenges-stand-in-the-way-of-hyperloop

That link goes into more detail and into more problems with hyperloops.  There is a reason why despite being around for over a 100 years they arent used for travel.

Makes me wonder if only one person travels in the tube at a time. Talk about a massive pileup.

59 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Never seen it.

Not 'scared', just suspicious.

image.jpeg.43bca0aba99ab88eb950bef49428554d.jpeg

Image result for old man yells at cloud

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Haha 3

er, no, thank you, Elon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Something will have to change.  Now more than 50% of the population of the world lives in cities.  Jobs are there.  And yet as real estate becomes more expensive,  some of the people that work there cannot afford to live there.  Transportation or disbursement will have to happen.  Maybe tubes and high speed trains are part of that.  It will take some getting used to for sure.  Some people are not well equipped to spent have an hour prone in a capsule going 600 miles per hour in some deep underground shaft.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, DarkHunter said:

lol, nope, loss of vacuum will not be  a catastrophic failure,  it would just add drag and slow it down, maglev trains are already running in few countries, this is the same thing , just inside the tube, where vacuum removes air resistance,  so it can go faster,

that is not a problem either, i have no doubts designers know human body limitation and adjust acceleration\deceleration accordingly,   maglev is nothing else but a linear electric motor, we know how to control electric motors very well

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Something will have to change.  Now more than 50% of the population of the world lives in cities.  Jobs are there.  And yet as real estate becomes more expensive,  some of the people that work there cannot afford to live there.  Transportation or disbursement will have to happen.  Maybe tubes and high speed trains are part of that.  It will take some getting used to for sure.  Some people are not well equipped to spent have an hour prone in a capsule going 600 miles per hour in some deep underground shaft.

lol, have you seen the video in the link?  people are NOT in prone position there,, they are sitting normally in a reclined seats, looks very comfortable. 

i do agree with the rest of your post.  a transportation fast as that, can unload the cities,  you can live hundreds of miles away from work, and get there within an hour. it will change real estate market too, as well as boost construction industry. 

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2

On 3/15/2019 at 8:33 AM, aztek said:

lol, nope, loss of vacuum will not be  a catastrophic failure,  it would just add drag and slow it down, maglev trains are already running in few countries, this is the same thing , just inside the tube, where vacuum removes air resistance,  so it can go faster,

that is not a problem either, i have no doubts designers know human body limitation and adjust acceleration\deceleration accordingly,   maglev is nothing else but a linear electric motor, we know how to control electric motors very well

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

First off your idea that a hyperloop is equivalent to a maglev train is largely wrong.  Traditionally hyperloop ideas have all been pneumonic based which do require a vacuum to work.  More recently Elon Musk has tried to get around some of the problems by combining pneumonic and maglev, which still has almost all the problems of pneumonic based hyperloops plus the problems of combining two separate technologies and the problems of maglev trains.

Secondly you have absolutely no idea of how high the pressures are you are talking about.  Atmospheric pressure at sea level is 14.7 psi, at about the height most commercial jets fly at it is about 2.94 psi, and at the top of mount Everest it is about 4.89 psi.  Just assume they suck out enough air to have it equal the same atmospheric pressure as Mount Everest to make it go faster.  That would be a pressure differences of close to 10 psi the structure would have to handle for the entire length of the structure.  To put that in terms people can understand better each square meter would have to hold about 7,030 kg of weight, which is a significant engineering feet to design cheaply.  As for destructive potential, a sudden difference of 3 psi can severely injure or kill a person, at about 8 psi you can destroy most buildings, if the hyperloop fails under these hypothetical conditions it is a difference of about 10 psi which would be like a shockwave from a massive bomb traveling down both ends of the tunnel destroying everything it reaches.  

If they try to use a mix of pneumonic and maglev they can control the acceleration changes better but open up a ton of other problems.

22 hours ago, DarkHunter said:

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

lol, that is what you showed pretty clearly by your post.   bunch of irrelevant nonsense.

btw vacuum is not measured in psi in real world,

Edited by aztek

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 1:51 AM, susieice said:

I just found this article. Now they want to suck us through tubes at 600-700 mph like a canister at a bank drive thru. Travel time between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh would be 30 minutes. I don't know. What do you think UM? What could possibly go wrong?

https://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-nws-pa-cross-state-hyperloop-feasibility-study-20190314-story.html?fbclid=IwAR2KDcxLsQmwHX1_hWiOp6sUEh1fpOfs4ySO0_EQHoH-spAQajqz11gUePg

If I could do Manchester to New York in 30 minutes I would go weekend shopping there a lot.

44 minutes ago, aztek said:

lol, that is what you showed pretty clearly by your post.   bunch of irrelevant nonsense.

btw vacuum is not measured in psi in real world,

Is that really the best you can do, I provide a link that goes into the problems with hyperloops including the dangers and then provide figures and the best you can respond with is petty insults.

I know you like to pretend on here that you are intelligent but at least do some research and put some effort into it, otherwise it just makes you look pathetic.

Also while vacuums may not normally be measured in psi it is still a unit of pressure and all units of pressure can directly be converted into each other, but since you have no idea what you are talking about and clearly never took a fluid mechanics class its not surprising you didnt know any of that.

When I saw this topic, I was kinda wondering how people would have discussed commercial airplanes when they first came around.

"What's that?  You are miles in the air, shooting around at hundreds of miles an hour!?  It's unsafe and unnatural I tell you!"

• Like 2

3 hours ago, aztek said:

i can do much better, but i see no point. 

Spoken like someone who has no idea what they are talking about and got called out on it.  Since you cant add anything to the conversation no need to detail it any further.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, DarkHunter said:

Spoken like someone who has no idea what they are talking about and got called out on it.  Since you cant add anything to the conversation no need to detail it any further.

spoken like someone who does not want to engage in a conversation with a clueless dude, you showed pretty clearly by your posts that you are in fact clueless on the subject.  feel free to throw more tantrums, and show your ignorance even more. 

Edited by aztek

22 minutes ago, aztek said:

spoken like someone who does not want to engage in a conversation with a clueless dude, you showed pretty clearly by your posts that you are in fact clueless on the subject.  feel free to throw more tantrums, and show your ignorance even more. 

Then why post some facts and figures yourself like I did if you know so much more, so far I posted numbers that can be checked and had a link to a site that has gone into more detail of what I said.  So far all you have done is throw around petty insults and said I was wrong but yet you are the one who knows what they are talking about.

This is just a sad pathetic joke at this point.

10 minutes ago, DarkHunter said:

Then why post some facts and figures yourself like I did ............

lamo, you have not posted anything relevant cuz you seem not know what is actually relevant on this subject.  and you show it again and again,  maybe a conversation with a psychiatrists will benefit you more than any explanation

40 minutes ago, aztek said:

lamo, you have not posted anything relevant cuz you seem not know what is actually relevant on this subject.  and you show it again and again,  maybe a conversation with a psychiatrists will benefit you more than any explanation

I knew you would try something like that, ignoring the link I posted.

"Take humans. Atmospheric pressure is about 10 tonnes per square metre, with a typical human having about two square metres of skin. However, we don’t notice that because the pressure is both on the inside and outside. If you have 10 tons per square metre pushing on the outside of the Hyperloop, and nothing pushing on the inside, there is a risk of a vacuum collapse - essentially the tube being crushed by the atmosphere, says Mason.

Humans do not suffer a vacuum lightly. In the event of decompression, there won't be any oxygen masks to keep you alive,” he says. “The Hyperloop takes all the hazards of being in space and brings them down to a few cm of the Earth's surface. It also brings all the hazards of the speed of planes and combines it with the hazard of traveling within a few cm of the earth. Any Hyperloop accident will result in the instant death of everyone in the capsule and almost everyone in the entire Hyperloop with the explosive decompression.”"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gqindia.com/content/scientists-explain-hyperloop-dangerous-difficult/amp/

"The criticism usually centres on these key points: creating a vacuum or low-pressure environment of such scale is difficult, as the tubes will expand from heat and consequently crack, shift and leak; the infrastructure – whether above-ground tubes or tunnels – is difficult to build and maintain to the level needed to handle such forces; the trip would be uncomfortable and any accidents would be violently fatal; and the costs are much higher than Musk claims."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.alphr.com/the-future/1008177/hyperloop-overhyped-underlooped%3famp

"Musk’s Hyperloop project “might be better described as all the problems of space travel while traveling in a gun barrel at the speed of sound,” Dr. Phil Mason states in the video. “Any failure whatsoever will rip though that 2 centimeter outer tube like candy. Now sure, anybody in the capsule would die pretty much instantly in the event of a crash…but a single breach in the Hyperloop would probably kill everybody else in the Hyperloop because air would rush into the tube at about the speed of sound.”

Any individual capsule crashing would cause a cascading failure that would prompt a pressure wave to shoot down the tube at the speed of sound, destroying all the other capsules. Dr. Mason states that the pressure wave caused by a Hyperloop crash would probably be larger than the over-pressure associated with a nuclear weapon, which can kill people and would certainly wreck the rest of the tube.

Additionally, any rupture or crack in the Hyperloop capsule for any reason would expose the passengers to hard vacuum, causing them to die in exactly the same way they would in deep space.

Dr. Mason previously conducted a small scale test simulating a small crack in the tube that would let air in. The resulting pressure change wrecked the tube and accelerated the mini Hyperloop to levels that would have killed its passengers."

https://amp.dailycaller.com/2016/07/26/scientist-lays-out-5-huge-problems-with-elon-musks-hyperloop-video

I have no doubt in your traditional faux intellectual pattern you will ignore all of that and continue believing in your delusion that you know what you are talking about, or you are just a pathetically bad troll.

Edited by DarkHunter
  • Haha 1

like i said bunch of irrelevant copy paste senescence,  whatever makes you feel smart. lol.

Edited by aztek

1 hour ago, aztek said:

like i said bunch of irrelevant copy paste senescence,  whatever makes you feel smart. lol.

Even when presented with articles you refuse to accept them, your trolling really is pathetic and you have shown that you have no understanding of the subject what so ever but keep pretending that you are smart instead of actually bothering to learn something.