Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Christchurch shooting

psyche101

4 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Witnesses have told Newshub there were incidents at two mosques, with one on Deans Ave and the other near Linwood. There are also reports of a third incident at Christchurch Hospital

A shooter opened fire at a mosque in Christchurch near Hagley Park.

Other locations around the city have also been targeted and Newshub has been told by police it was a multiple, simultaneous attack.

Newshub has been told by witnesses there were 29 shots heard

Multiple people have been injured with reports of six killed

A witness told Newshub a shooter was dressed in military gear and with a high powered rifle

All Christchurch schools and hospitals have been placed into urgent lockdown

Central council building have also been put into lockdown

Students at the nearby climate march are safe and are being looked after, Christchurch Mayor Lianne Dalziel told Newshub.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has cancelled the rest of her afternoon's events and is receiving a full briefing on what is underway in Christchurch

Speaker Trevor Mallard, ACT leader David Seymour, and National MPs David Carter and Matt Doocey have been locked down at the nearby University

Armed police were deployed at 1:40pm and are urging those in the city to stay indoors

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2019/03/christchurch-shooting-what-you-need-to-know.amp.html

Not New Zealand, at least the positive is ISIS is near its end.

• Confused 5

59 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Sorry to hear that. 

This is indeed horrifying, do we know if the deceased is 9 or 40? There are some wild numbers getting around 

40. I think that officially makes it the worst mass shooting in New Zealand or Australia. 

Our son read the manifesto online, one of the original targets was supposed to be the Mosque in the street behind where he lives.

I just can’t stop thinking about the fact that people are grieving for the loss of whole families. My heart hurts.

• Sad 8

CNN is saying there are 49 dead with about 50 more in the hospital, unless they're wrong and it's still 40?

Regardless, so unexpected and a horrific turn of events.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

49 dead. How did this lunatic get these semi-automatic long arms.

• Like 1

Reported numbers of casualties in events like this will always vary considerably over the first few hours as victims are taken to various different hospitals etc

Fact remains its a shocking, awful, event and absolutely not something you expect to occur in a country like NZ :(

• Like 3

Donald Trump is bound to be on the phone to NZ PM Jacinda Ardern, I'd bet the words "bad people" will cross the trumpster's lips, in that conversation !

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Kismit said:

40. I think that officially makes it the worst mass shooting in New Zealand or Australia. 

Our son read the manifesto online, one of the original targets was supposed to be the Mosque in the street behind where he lives.

I just can’t stop thinking about the fact that people are grieving for the loss of whole families. My heart hurts.

I'm so sorry Kis

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Habitat said:

Australia has the tightest gun control policies in the Pacific and some of the most comprehensive regulations internationally. New Zealand is at the opposite end of the spectrum with some of the most permissive gun policies in the Pacific region. Among developed nations it stands alone with the United States as the only two countries without universal gun registration. https://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/australia-and-new-zealand

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

Not New Zealand, at least the positive is ISIS is near its end.

Umm... it’s was an Aussie ****** right wing d******* extremist with a hate fueled hard on, not a Muslim.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Australia has the tightest gun control policies in the Pacific and some of the most comprehensive regulations internationally. New Zealand is at the opposite end of the spectrum with some of the most permissive gun policies in the Pacific region. Among developed nations it stands alone with the United States as the only two countries without universal gun registration. https://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/australia-and-new-zealand

This is the key to what happened, seemingly. Ratbags and extremists will always exist, you don't give them access to military style weapons, and the penalties applying to illegal possession need to be severe.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Habitat said:

This is the key to what happened, seemingly. Ratbags and extremists will always exist, you don't give them access to military style weapons, and the penalties applying to illegal possession need to be severe.

This is an ongoing tragedy...

No one 'gave' these people access guns...they acquired them, on their own, because they are terrorists.  It is waaaay too early to make this thread about gun control...imho.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kismit said:

My heart hurts.

Mine as well. 

hugs.gif.c78c1e20f3f35e9e26d47d0f376f9296.gif 

• Like 2

First thing I thought of, where did this **** get these guns. Odds are he crossed the Tasman to do this, because he knew it would be much tougher to source them in Australia.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, joc said:

It is waaaay too early to make this thread about gun control...imho.  

When do you think its time for ? When the count hits 50? Or 100? Each value >0 makes it subject to gun control.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, toast said:

When do you think its time for ? When the count hits 50? Or 100? Each value >0 makes it subject to gun control.

Do we need to do it in this thread? Just start another thread if you want to go there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, toast said:

Oh, gosh toast...I don't know...maybe just not while people are still grieving with the immediate shock of it all.  

• Thanks 3

I just got up and ABC is saying 49 have been killed. I am so sorry all this happened. My thoughts are with the families and the first responders who are involved in this. I am so sorry Kismet. This was an act of terror.

https://abc7news.com/police-49-dead-1-charged-in-new-zealand-mosque-shootings/5194137/

Edited by susieice
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Habitat said:

Anywhere in the world, if someone want one and have money for it, he will find a way. Firearms regulation cannot control crazy people who have money to spend. It will just take more time to get it and will be unregistered and more difficult to trace.

• Like 4

hatred  always makes a vicious cycle. Why he kills innocent people? They are just normal people, not ISIS

Edited by Great Old Man
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely Disgusting and sickening :-(

• Like 3

Just heard on BBC news that efforts are underway to remove all online copies of the manifesto.  Although it will probably resurface in some fancy lawyer's published book, or a TV documentary e.g. 'the mind of a killer', or if it turns into a conspiracy then the manifesto will probably be used as evidence to promote all kinds of crazy theories regarding its origin and suppression.

Edited by Aaron2016
  • Like 1

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked