Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Christchurch shooting

psyche101

13 minutes ago, Michelle said:

I'm not saying this guy wasn't. Like all Muslims aren't extremists people shouldn't make generalizations about any group. That was the only point I was making.

What "group" are you saying exactly was generalized here? I'm confused.

2 minutes ago, Michelle said:

I can when people lump them in with all Republicans and/or Trump supporters.

I didn't lump them in with Republicans.  Where did I say that?  The thing about Trump I said was that his rhetoric was one of the things that spurred on this guy,  It's in his manifesto.  If pro Republicans have a problem with being associated to white supremacists then they need to ask themselves why white supremacists draw some of their motives from what Trump says.

5 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

yeah good question

1 minute ago, Likely Guy said:

I guess since it's all over the world that is being talked about, white conservative leaning people. They are called Brexiters lately in the UK. They have also been labeled as racists aligned with white supremacists.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, susieice said:

I'm not reading what Michelle is saying as her defending this guy or his ideology. I think she is defending Republicans who are not supremacist, which is by far most, and yet swept under a label. Extremism is extremism no matter what ism it is. None are acceptable in my opinion.

Okay, now I get it. Earlier there was a passing Trump comment but t ended pretty much there. No one's mentioned Republicans or Conservatives, just the alt-right and white nationalists.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Michelle said:

It's amazing how quickly the blame swings to an entire political group of people. We would be reminded constantly of how it was a lone wolf or a small cell if the attack had been by Muslim extremists.

The problem is that when a lone-wolf Muslim commits a terrorist act, right-wing commentators and politicians line up to call for Muslim community leaders to condemn the act. And while many of them do so spontaneously before this is asked of them, some also say they're a little tired of being asked each time it happens, as though they're expected to have to prove their loyalty to Australia (or wherever) all over again, each time.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Would you mind if I use that line in the future?

I would be honored, kind sir. ;)

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

she's not defending it!!! how you come to that conclusion baffles me:rolleyes:

From your posts I've read I noticed you do get baffled a lot.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Black Red Devil said:

I didn't lump them in with Republicans.  Where did I say that?  The thing about Trump I said was that his rhetoric was one of the things that spurred on this guy,  It's in his manifesto.  If pro Republicans have a problem with being associated to white supremacists then they need to ask themselves why white supremacists draw some of their motives from what Trump says.

He didn't like Trump or his leadership. That was the next line in his manifesto. People are hearing this being taken out of context. I posted the manifesto  so it could be seen exactly what he said but Saru isn't the only person that doesn't want it on his site or quotes from it. I respect that. That's what my remark was about regarding CNN. 

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Michelle said:

I guess since it's all over the world that is being talked about, white conservative leaning people. They are called Brexiters lately in the UK. They have also been labeled as racists aligned with white supremacists.

Kinda the same way Liberals and "Progs" get unfairly allied to Antifa?

I get what you're saying.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Michelle said:

i think you've read too much into all this. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Michelle said:

They got dragged through the muck too.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Black Red Devil said:

As an Englishman of a certain age, the correct verb in Dejarma’s case is “befuddled”.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

the day religion is eradicated from this planet will be the day of our enlightenment as a race IMO...

i've always theorized (or fantasized if ya like) that if there were some kind of <galactic federation> out there; they're waiting for us to get out of the 'worshipping gods' stage of evolution before saying helo....

a stage of evolution they've seen happening for many years in other lifeforms= unfortunately, it's unlikely i'll be here for that day if it ever happens- that for me is sad

11 minutes ago, susieice said:

I'm not reading what Michelle is saying as her defending this guy or his ideology. I think she is defending Republicans who are not supremacist, which is by far most, and yet swept under a label. Extremism is extremism no matter what ism it is. None are acceptable in my opinion.

No she's not defending this guy but she was defending white supremacists and making them out to be victims, similar to when people blame all Muslims for the acts caused by IS supporters etc.  Nothing was mentioned about Republicans at least not by me. Benefit of the doubt and maybe she did think someone was lumping them together.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

I have to disagree with you some on point 3.

It sounds similar to blaming "violent video games", "cartoons", "movies", "radio", "rap", "heavy metal", "insert cause of mass shootings here".

It sounds like the new blame is "social media".

Spartan, his manifesto makes many claims that link to social media influence. Particularly things like government and msm hiding the reality of immigration. The reality is, we have never had an issue with our Muslim immigrants, yet this man and his 8chan network seemed somehow convinced there is an issue. Social media, especially down that rabbit hole can convince people there is a problem when in reality it does not exist. 

And while people use social media for fame and fortune and others look for the adrenaline of cognitive dissonance in that alternative facts reality pushing the fame of the most shocking social media celebrities who then need to uncover or create more fake news to further their fame and fortune. I blame social media. I blame a lack of a grip on reality and an uneducated heartless ghoul of a creature. I hope he enjoys his time in our state penitentiary.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Likely Guy said:

Just heard on the radio about that the murder charge he's facing.

The name of the victim and circumstances are being blocked to the public.

Maybe he killed someone else before the rampage? I don't know, just speculating.

No I doubt that. My understanding is that in situations like this the police will charge the alleged offender with one offence sufficiently serious to ensure he's remanded in custody. That gives them time to investigate the whole situation and work out the totality of charges to level at him. Then, at a later hearing he'll be charged with all the other offences.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Black Red Devil said:

No she's not defending this guy but she was defending white supremacists and making them out to be victims, similar to when people blame all Muslims for the acts caused by IS supporters etc.  Nothing was mentioned about Republicans at least not by me. Benefit of the doubt and maybe she did think someone was lumping them together.   

Re: the bolded.

I think that her choice of words there were ill defined and a little vague, therefore open to any sort of interpretation.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Michelle said:

That is a potential effect of hiding his manifesto.  He only aligns himself with Brexit as far as protecting whites heritage.  He is anti conservatism/corporatism.  He identifies as a fascist with close political values to China.

2 minutes ago, Peter B said:

No I doubt that. My understanding is that in situations like this the police will charge the alleged offender with one offence sufficiently serious to ensure he's remanded in custody. That gives them time to investigate the whole situation and work out the totality of charges to level at him. Then, at a later hearing he'll be charged with all the other offences.

Thanks for that. Apparently his next court date is April 5th.

12 minutes ago, Black Red Devil said:

yeah & it's not my fault= i know that for a fact because i know without doubt i'm one highly intelligent mother Fer... would you like to prove me wrong or are you just going to shout ya mouth off?

what ya got, bring it on= or shut T F U.. your choice mate;)

15 minutes ago, susieice said:

He didn't like Trump or his leadership. That was the next line in his manifesto. People are hearing this being taken out of context. I posted the manifesto  so it could be seen exactly what he said but Saru isn't the only person that doesn't want it on his site or quotes from it. I respect that. That's what my remark was about regarding CNN. 

Well apparently this is what he said.

In the document, Tarrant said that he supported President Donald Trump as a 'symbol of renewed white identity and common purpose' but not as a 'policy maker'. 

I WOULD call that support.

link

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Black Red Devil said:

Well apparently this is what he said.

In the document, Tarrant said that he supported President Donald Trump as a 'symbol of renewed white identity and common purpose' but not as a 'policy maker'. 

I WOULD call that support.

link

You didn't read the manifesto then. This is the danger of taking things out of context. He was hoping we'd go into a civil war, but that was over the second amendment. Not white supremacy.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Re: the bolded.

I think that her choice of words there were ill defined and a little vague, therefore open to any sort of interpretation.

Trying to be diplomatic has major downfalls. :lol:

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked