Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Christchurch shooting

psyche101

10 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Does NZ have life terms?

The guy in Norway (2011) got only 20 years. 20 years before he is evaluated to be safe, or not. He then gets another 5 years, so he'll likely at some point get out. 

Yes we do. That rarely means life. Judges usually impose minimum terms before people are eligible for parole. They do have the option of imposing a life sentence without any possibility of parole and I hope they do so in this case.

But I'll be honest. I don't have the greatest faith in the NZ criminal justice system. In my opinion it's way too lenient and puts disproportionate focus on the rights of the perpetrators. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, DieChecker said:

Does NZ have life terms?

The guy in Norway (2011) got only 20 years. 20 years before he is evaluated to be safe, or not. He then gets another 5 years, so he'll likely at some point get out. 

We have a senyence known as preventative detention. It can be an indefinite term but is usually no more than 17 years. 

A sentence of 17 years preventative detention usually means 25 years in total.

But the judge can extend this period. 

• Like 2

If this man had not been stopped his next target was the Mosque behind my sons house. 

I  dread to think what could have happened.  It was very confronting to see the armed police officers guarding it whenever we drove past. And because of the way the streets are set up you have to drive past it. 

So very awful that he stole our safety from us.

• Like 2

On 6/15/2019 at 10:13 AM, susieice said:

Tarrant pleaded not guilty to all charges today. I hope his trial doesn't turn into him having a chance to push his agenda. I think the judge would stop that from happening.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/13/world/australia/christchurch-shootings-not-guilty-plea.html

He has decided to stay silent.  Best thing he could do. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kismit said:

He has decided to stay silent.  Best thing he could do. 

I would want to make sure he never hurts anyone, ever again. Hang the wretch and be done with it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sentence handed down.

Life without parole and with no chance to challenge the sentence.

Labeled a terrorist and rightly so.

Nothing but a coward who shot children and old woman in prayer. Filth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He'll never get out again Kismit. Just lock the cell and let him be forgotten. Remember the victims.

• Like 1