Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
psyche101

Christchurch shooting

816 posts in this topic

Captain Risky

slightly off topic, i just wanna say how outta such an awful attack on humanity the leader of a small and insignificant country such as New Zealand has shined on the world stage. the human compassion and dignity PM Arden has shown is to be commended. in an age of the anti-statesman, a nobody has shown the movers and shakers of the world stage what it is to value the human element and see through the many divisions that rack our planet. 

Bravo! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Kismit
7 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

slightly off topic, i just wanna say how outta such an awful attack on humanity the leader of a small and insignificant country such as New Zealand has shined on the world stage. the human compassion and dignity PM Arden has shown is to be commended. in an age of the anti-statesman, a nobody has shown the movers and shakers of the world stage what it is to value the human element and see through the many divisions that rack our planet. 

Bravo! 

Absolutely in topic. So much more so than the debate on American politics. If we lived in a world where people spent more time showing empathy and caring for each other instead of a world where we place blame and forget about the real victims,life would be a far more peaceful thing.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

susieice
21 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Absolutely in topic. So much more so than the debate on American politics. If we lived in a world where people spent more time showing empathy and caring for each other instead of a world where we place blame and forget about the real victims,life would be a far more peaceful thing.

Agreed.

Kismit

But we are not really insignificant 

:lol:

• Haha 2

susieice

Even that wacko figured this out :lol:

• Like 2

Captain Risky
20 minutes ago, Kismit said:

But we are not really insignificant 

:lol:

i don't mean to be rude but if a spaceship zapped New Zealand off the map, apart from Australia and the world of Rugby who would really care? 

susieice
1 minute ago, Captain Risky said:

i don't mean to be rude but if a spaceship zapped New Zealand off the map, apart from Australia and the world of Rugby who would really care? 

Wow. Actually she was responding to something I said Risky. I would miss New Zealand. I love kiwis and I hope to see the hobbit city someday.

• Like 1

Captain Risky
Just now, susieice said:

Wow. Actually she was responding to something I said Risky. I would miss New Zealand. I love kiwis and I hope to see the hobbit city someday.

i know and I'm not being rude. just trying to be funny. 

• Like 1

Kismit
15 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

I would :(

to be fair we don’t make it on to many maps, we probably don’t really exist. Like that imaginary island to the West of here.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Captain Risky
Just now, Kismit said:

I would :(

to be fair we don’t make it on to many maps, we probably don’t really exist. Like that imaginary island to the West of here.

...thats not a bad thing, you know. i read somewhere that New Zealand hosts a lot hideaway's for American and European billionaires looking for peace and quiet. i like quiet.

• Like 2

Kismit

Today as a nation we held a public Call to Prayer in Christchurch. An act which allowed many of the younger Muslims affected a chance to feel safe to worship. 

I am an Atheist and proudly so, but all faiths should feel safe to worship as they see fit.

The service has been heart breaking and empowering. For all of us.

I would hope what we have been through might touch others as teach them a new way to behave.

Live Call to prayer in Hadley park

• Like 2

Kismit

And it has only just hit me that this took place in Christchurch, literally named the Church of Christ.

• Like 2

Coil

It is necessary to prohibit selling weapons in the store, as now people have become too emotional, which is why they are short for reprisals. And if he had only a knife or a baton, he would not have killed 50 people. Now the weapon is no longer for defense but for attack.

Farmer77
11 hours ago, Black Red Devil said:

So what's the solution? North Korea and Russia these days have shown us they can restrict information flowing in through their servers.  Do we want western Govts to do the same or decide which ones, i.e. certain sites showing disgusting images and videos of extreme violence?  Would/could people controlling the information being released to the public be subject to bribes and favoritism?  Would controlling what we see subjugate our free will or would it be acceptable so we can safe guard the innocent?

This is exactly the kind of conversation I was hoping for!  and I have NO IDEA what the answer is. How we protect minds, freedom and society all at the same time in the information age must become the most delicate balancing act in human history or we are simply screwed.

We, as in civilized society, seem to have been able to do so with ISIS and their propaganda without limiting overall religious expression. However as evidenced by this shooter's manifesto the tactics being used by this young, white hateful extremism are much more intricate and difficult to drown out because they intentionally build in just enough plausible deniability that any measures to limit their activities are met with howls of political discrimination.

11 hours ago, Black Red Devil said:

I'm not specifically targeting you with the questions or putting you on the spot, I'm just throwing out there the 'ifs' and 'buts' because there is a problem and the solution has many dead ends for certain things and a rocky road for others. Obviously something has to be done because there are far too many gullible idiots out there.  For further proof visit Youtube and read some of the comments.

No worries man I appreciate the questions and think these big picture questions are the ones we should be addressing. Its very easy to post up on a dogmatic position and not think the process through but that doesnt do anything but give us warm and fuzzy feelings.

I genuinely dont know what the answer is. I personally love information, and want to take in as much as possible but it seems that that inundation of information is actually working against us.