Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
psyche101

Christchurch shooting

1,157 posts in this topic

susieice
4 hours ago, Myles said:

The media is running with the "It's Trumps fault" talking point.  

Pretty stupid.

When the shooter mentioned the balkenization of the US there was no mention of race or the right specifically, but he seems to have known they would do this. Now I've seen a couple reports on CNN also. 

• Like 1

odas
14 hours ago, Michelle said:

And you have never heard me say anything of the sort!!! 

I don't know where your hatred of me comes from but it is most definitely misguided. You can wallow in it for all I care. Blame your preconceived ideas about me, but you can't blame me!

Shame!!! Disgusting!!!

You missed the essence of my post. You said how qickly an entire political group of people are getting blamed. This sounds to me like a pathetic try to again, blame muslims. And no, when a muslim terrorist commits such athrocity noone talks about one individual but the entire muslim population is being blamed. I was numerous times asked to apologise after terrorist attacks commited by muslim individuals. I do not ask anyone to appologise. Not the entire christianity, not the republicans, democrats, australians. They had nothing to do with it. But you are jumping in to the appologetic bandwagon that had nothing to do with  any posts that had been made by anyone prior to your post. Blaming the white far right is as acceptible and valid as it is to blame the radical muslims.

Show me one post where regular white people, christians, jews, australians, americans have been blamed for the NZ shooting prior to your post and I will stand corrected.

• Like 2

Space Commander Travis
31 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

A follow up:

Australian senator egged after blaming Muslim immigration for New Zealand mosque attack

https://globalnews.ca/news/5063374/australian-senator-egged-blaming-muslim-immigration-new-zealand-mosque-attack/

Video footage of the event appears to show Sen. Fraser Anning being egged by a teenage boy and turning to punch the 17-year-old in response. The teen was then tackled to the ground by Fraser’s supporters.

my word, the Emperor Donald behaves as model of dignity in comparison with that thug. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Michelle
27 minutes ago, odas said:

You missed the essence of my post. You said how qickly an entire political group of people are getting blamed. This sounds to me like a pathetic try to again, blame muslims. And no, when a muslim terrorist commits such athrocity noone talks about one individual but the entire muslim population is being blamed. I was numerous times asked to apologise after terrorist attacks commited by muslim individuals. I do not ask anyone to appologise. Not the entire christianity, not the republicans, democrats, australians. They had nothing to do with it. But you are jumping in to the appologetic bandwagon that had nothing to do with  any posts that had been made by anyone prior to your post. Blaming the white far right is as acceptible and valid as it is to blame the radical muslims.

Show me one post where regular white people, christians, jews, australians, americans have been blamed for the NZ shooting prior to your post and I will stand corrected.

You may want to read posts 101 through 104 again. I was reminding people you can't blame all right wingers for the actions of one. It is just as wrong as blaming all Muslims for the acts of a few.

Go find some like minded people and have a pity party if it makes you feel any better.

• Like 2

and then
10 hours ago, Kismit said:

Here she will win votes, in America she would be called a tyrant, by those who would oppose any discussion on gun law changes.

What New Zealanders want should be all that matters in New Zealand.  Americans respect the right of other democratic nation's sovereignty regarding their own choices and way of life.  We just wish others would give us the same respect on such issues.

• Like 3

Helen of Annoy
39 minutes ago, Michelle said:

You may want to read posts 101 through 104 again. I was reminding people you can't blame all right wingers for the actions of one. It is just as wrong as blaming all Muslims for the acts of a few.

Go find some like minded people and have a pity party if it makes you feel any better.

You called? :D 

The only pity party I saw regarding this tragedy is among very fine people who are suddenly scared ****less their very fine Nazi roleplaying might be seen as potential real terrorism, which has real legal consequences.

I really couldn't guess why that makes you so nervous. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

and then
8 hours ago, Gunn said:

Oh they'll probably find something mentally wrong with him. Killing that many people that he didn't even know, when they did nothing to him personally, is absolutely insane.

I have always believed this to be true.  Now, I'm no longer so sure.  Unless we can believe that insanity and pure evil can be synonymous.  Is every person who kills randomly, insane?  I guess it's possible to be broken, mentally, to the point where you can be completely coherent and functional but also be able to pull a trigger on helpless people begging for their lives.  I think this sick piece of work isn't insane as much as he's an example of the purest kind evil.  Remember, he wasn't satisfied with just the amount of blood he could shed that day.  It was just to be the first act in a much greater bloodletting across the world.  He prepared and I assume he trained for two years to do this.  I'm no Shrink but I seem to remember a diagnosis of insanity where people can be completely functional, even high-functioning in most respects, but have ZERO ability to feel empathy or have concern for the pain they inflict on others.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Michelle
3 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

The only pity party I saw regarding this tragedy is among very fine people who are suddenly scared ****less their very fine Nazi roleplaying might be seen as potential real terrorism, which has real legal consequences.

Thanks for the comic relief, but this thread is not about a Muslim atrocity. It's about a terrible crime committed against innocent people.

• Like 5

Helen of Annoy

@Michelle Of course it's not about 'Muslim atrocity'. What could mislead any non-deliberately-acting-lost-in-comprehension person into thinking it is?  

Or you just can't resist pointing out it's the Muslims who are associated with atrocities? 

But this one's yours. All concerned for the future of the white race. So concerned he simply oozes concern. For 70+ pages of bullcrap, inspired also with the worst Serbian genocidal mass murderers. Such fine people. *vomits* 

Someone call moderator to ban me out of here, I'll literally start vomiting from disgust. 

Edited by Helen of Annoy
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

OverSword
14 hours ago, Peter B said:

Except that this man's behaviour doesn't suggest he's crazy. He described how he planned the idea of an attack for two years, and the specific event in Christchurch for three months. He obtained the weapons legally. He wrote a long document explaining his thinking which, as repulsive as it is, is written in clear, grammatical English. He is aggrieved but not crazy.

And before you say that anyone would have to be crazy to do what this man did, I'd like to point to what the judge said when sentencing Cardinal Pell for child abuse offences. Before the sentencing, Pell's legal team argued that Pell, who'd never previously or subsequently offended, must not have been in his right mind at the time of his offending. The judge chose to "...reject this submission for a number of reasons...you offended over a period of minutes, where there was ample opportunity for you to both reflect, and to stop." Same for this man - he's never previously offended, and he had the opportunity to reflect on his actions and stop. But he consciously chose not to.

No, not crazy.

IMHO.

Are you a psychiatrist? Have you spoken to him? Have you ever even seen him speak or read his writing? I agree with you that this man could probably differentiate right from wrong and is probably not unfit to stand trial for reason of insanity but to suggest this person isn’t unbalanced or is in his right mind makes zero sense. Being unfit to stand trial due to severe chemical imbalance and not being insane/crazy are two different things. 

Yes. Crazy.

• Like 1

odas
1 hour ago, Michelle said:

Yes, I can blame all right wing anti immigrant, islamophobic, anti semites, racists for the action of one just as I blame all islamic radicals for the action of one. You still don't get it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

odas
1 hour ago, Helen of Annoy said:

You, on the other hand got it immidiately. Thank you.

• Like 1

odas
1 hour ago, and then said:

I have always believed this to be true.  Now, I'm no longer so sure.  Unless we can believe that insanity and pure evil can be synonymous.  Is every person who kills randomly, insane?  I guess it's possible to be broken, mentally, to the point where you can be completely coherent and functional but also be able to pull a trigger on helpless people begging for their lives.  I think this sick piece of work isn't insane as much as he's an example of the purest kind evil.  Remember, he wasn't satisfied with just the amount of blood he could shed that day.  It was just to be the first act in a much greater bloodletting across the world.  He prepared and I assume he trained for two years to do this.  I'm no Shrink but I seem to remember a diagnosis of insanity where people can be completely functional, even high-functioning in most respects, but have ZERO ability to feel empathy or have concern for the pain they inflict on others.  

AT. Looks like this tragedy is an eyeopener for some. Thank you. Mental stabilty has a point by people like that guy but most important, we have to realize that words do matter.

Hate speach will not impact stable mental people. It will impact unstable people. And those are the ones that are targeted by those who spread hate.

Mentaly unstable will not impact a person to plan an attack, it impacts the rational thinking. One gets obssesed with hate, it conumes you, destroyes everything in and arround you.

I wish, moving forward, we could have rational conversation about everything and distance ourself of any hate speach. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

spartan max2

Dam I thought it was a teenager but just found out the shooter was 28.

TigerBright19

The killer probably had suppressed anger building up over years of holding back repressed memories of being bullied by his father or work colleagues.  He was already a powder keg waiting to burst.  He just needed an excuse to do what he did.

Implosive anger

Space Commander Travis
1 hour ago, Helen of Annoy said:

@Michelle Of course it's not about 'Muslim atrocity'. What could mislead any non-deliberately-acting-lost-in-comprehension person into thinking it is?  

Or you just can't resist pointing out it's the Muslims who are associated with atrocities? 

But this one's yours. All concerned for the future of the white race. So concerned he simply oozes concern. For 70+ pages of bullcrap, inspired also with the worst Serbian genocidal mass murderers. Such fine people. *vomits* 

Someone call moderator to ban me out of here, I'll literally start vomiting from disgust. 

:huh: ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Helen of Annoy
6 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

:huh: ?

Are you trying to convey you're not aware of the basic facts about the ideological background of the murderer that happens to be the topic of this thread? 

• Like 2

Space Commander Travis

I'm not really sure what people are arguing about. Someone seems to have got hold of the wrong end of some stick somewhere I think.

• Like 1

Daughter of the Nine Moons
8 hours ago, eularesko said:

Live 500 meters away from the second shooting, what a horrible devastating day it was...just feel so defeated and everything feels so wrong.

I'm very sorry eularesko for what you've been through.

• Like 2

Helen of Annoy

Whoever told you, fine people, that acting uninformed or unable to comprehend very simple sentences will somehow give you some sort of advantage, was ridiculing you. In rather cruel way. 

When you claim ignorance, you won't successfully whitewash anything, you'll just seem ignorant.

The vomit-inducing part of this thread are the people who want their hateful ideologies somehow unrelated to the mass murders, even when the mass murderers have issued actual damn manifestos, detailing their adherence to the very same ****ing ideology. 

• Like 2

Gunn
8 hours ago, Peter B said:

Well, I'm not a psychologist, so obviously I don't have a professional opinion about his state of mind.

But I note that another person currently imprisoned in Norway for a similar act was found to be sane. People can be anti-social, violently so, without being considered insane.

You don't have to be a psychologist to see there was something off about him. And when someone kills that many people, there has got to be at least some mentally unstable issues going on in his mind at the time. I mean something is definitely not right with their cognitive functions, whether they're found sane or not. It just doesn't make any sense otherwise.

8 hours ago, Peter B said:

So you'd like to visit extreme punishment on someone you think isn't responsible for their actions? How does that work?

Oh he's responsible alright. He's totally responsible for this! I say hang e'm anyway! And I don't care if he's off his rocker when he did it, still - hang e'm anyway. To hell with him!

Look, I know where you're going with this, and I know there are people out there who feel sorry for mentally unstable killers like this, who think just because a person like this is mentally unstable in some way, they should get leniency and not have to pay a harsh punishment for what they did, because supposedly they didn't know what they were doing at the time. No man, "F" that BS! They knew what they were doing, and they enjoyed it. They liked the insanity or the ideal of doing something insane like that. It made them feel special or they wanted the recognition for killing people for an insane cause or purpose. People can know exactly what they are doing and still let go of their usual morals and empathy for others, if they decide to give into their selfish delusions and just don't care anymore. We've seen it in history.

• Like 2

OverSword
1 hour ago, odas said:

Yes, I can blame all right wing anti immigrant, islamophobic, anti semites, racists for the action of one just as I blame all islamic radicals for the action of one. You still don't get it.

That’s right up there with the stupidest statements I’ve ever read on this website.

• Like 2

Gunn
2 hours ago, and then said:

It's a fine line IMO. You look at people in the past like Hitler, Manson or like @skliss mentioned, Jeffery Dahmer, you can tell they were borderline mentally unstable in someway. Let's take serial killers for instance - they use strategy and methodically plan to kill as many people as they can, yet they have this sick need to do it in order to satisfy an internal desire. They don't have to be totally insane and pure evil at the same time, just borderline mentally unstable with a immoral background, and sometimes that's all it takes; just one thing could be off in their brain and something on the outside sets them off to do what they do.

Edited by Gunn
  • Like 2

OverSword
13 hours ago, Kismit said:

would like to see laws passed where any support of this kind of act would be deemed illegal, globally.

I understand the sentiment but I think it’s good to encourage people to contribute their opinions about anything and everything. When we know who supports things like this then we have a better idea of who bares watching or who needs help. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Helen of Annoy

Let me help you, @OverSword, with clarifying my position a little. 

You see, I detest hypocrisy. The reaction of the far right (and their dingleberries), to the obviously and in murderer's manifesto clearly confirmed as ideologically, far right motivated mass murder, was sudden insisting that there cannot be collective guilt.

I agree, there shouldn't be any collective guilt, generally speaking. But why has that otherwise quite liberal idea appeared among far right, right now? Their pastime and integral part of their platforms was declaring religions, political parties and nations collectively guilty. Now, when it's about them and one of their own, they wouldn't like any collective guilt. Now they wouldn't like to be seen as guilty as the murderer, because, hey, they didn't murder anyone themselves, they only incited hatred and expressed their deep concerns for the future of the white race. 

Well, screw the race that has spawned hypocrites and *******s of that calibre. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1