Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can animals feel the beat?

Still Waters

A pigeon bopping along to a busker playing Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke and Pharrell Williams set Twitter abuzz recently. It’s certainly a catchy tune that I can’t help but tap my foot along to, but is that really what the pigeon is doing?

This pigeon seems to hop to the beat on one foot, or he may only have one leg. Either way, this would mean that it and other pigeons are capable of beat matching – thought to be a precursor to dancing and a uniquely human skill.

https://theconversation.com/from-busking-pigeons-to-head-banging-sea-lions-can-animals-feel-the-beat-113436

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Still working my way through the main article's supporting information and videos, but this is really quite fascinating, particularly when it comes to understanding the abilities of animals with vocal learning skills versus those who are simply good at mimicry.

• Like 2

Frankly, honestly and personally .. it is my belief that humans learned all the dancing moves from the animal kingdom ...

~

~

[00.03:27]

~

• Like 1
  • Haha 1