Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The return of the "freak show"?

Eldorado

A reality television show that features nine extraordinary people living under one roof, including a bearded lady and a man who wants to become a parrot, has raised questions over whether its subjects are being exploited.

For the three-part show, titled The House of Extraordinary People, the group will spend 10 days in a Yorkshire cottage and get to know one another.

It has been billed by Channel 5 as a vehicle to 'confront prejudices', focusing on the struggles of those who face daily judgement on their appearance and forcing them to confront their greatest fears.

But some equality groups have expressed concern that it could tip over into exploitation.

Full report: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6815943/Reality-nine-people-unusual-appearances-branded-day-freak-show.html

• Like 3

Firstly, presumably no one forced these people to take part in the programme. So much will depend on how it is presented and how the participants present themselves. Several participants are from the USA; the one I particularly noticed was the man who chose to have a lower leg amputated. I don't think you'd find a surgeon in this country who would do that. I would quite like to hear why the man had his leg removed because I find it hard to see it as anything other than attention-seeking .... and possibly the worse kind of attention seeking: enjoying seeing others assume he was a war veteran.

p.s. It amuses/saddens me how the definition of a cottage has changed. In the programme, 'nine people will be living in a cottage' plus cameramen, sound people etc. for part of the time ..... that's one heck of a 'cottage'! :hmm:

• Like 1

The Freak Show is definitely back. I noticed it some time ago.

The Undateables, Embarrassing Bodies, hideous skin conditions, and countless morbid obesity shows like 'My 600LB Life' and 'Lock-ins'.

• Like 2

I have to confess that I am addicted to 'My 600ib Life'. :blush: If it's on, no other programme stands a chance of gaining my attention!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

If it's on, no other programme stands a chance of gaining my attention!

Not even 'My 700LB Life'?

• Haha 2