Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sleep Deprivation - Hearing Voices

TigerBright19

A few years ago I went on holiday to the island of Ibiza.  My budget was so tight that I did not have a hotel room for 4 nights of the holiday.  I tried to sleep on the beach and park benches but it was too hot and too noisy, so I wondered about the island and walked continuously for hours each day, hoping to walk off my sleep.  By the 3rd day I was hearing voices.  They had regional accents (my home town) even though I was hundreds of miles away from home.  They were laughing and mocking me, and I kept thinking they were talking about me.  I also had the feeling that there were people behind and around me and they were looking right at me.  There was nobody there, and the voices were entirely in my head.

Is there a connection with sleep deprivation and with people who think they are hearing voices and seeing shapes and people that aren't really there?  Is there a chemical that releases what I experienced in people who do not have sleep deprivation, but they experience that same chemical trigger as I did with a normal sleeping pattern?  Curious to know if a slight chemical imbalance is the cause for the majority of unusual sightings?  By identifying and eliminating all similar cases we might be able to filter out most of the claims of unusual sightings and sounds, so that we are left with a minority of genuine cases where people really have experienced unusual sights and sounds, and their cases would become front and center in future research.

3 hours ago, Aaron2016 said:

Is there a connection with sleep deprivation and with people who think they are hearing voices and seeing shapes and people that aren't really there? 

Yes. But there are a few things which can happen:

People often say they feel loopy after a night of no sleep. But in more extreme cases, losing sleep may cause delirium

Seeing things that aren't there can be a side effect of chronic sleep deprivation

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.livescience.com/52592-spooky-effects-sleep-deprivation.html

Here is another interesting article

at least 80% of people will hallucinate if severely sleep-deprived

https://neuroscience.stanford.edu/news/why-do-humans-hallucinate-little-sleep

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have you been in the Army or much out camping? It sometimes happen that you hear and see things which dont exist after some time spent in the field i remember seeing a funicular railway between the trees in the darkness and hearing people from a distance. :-)

Edited by Impedancer
  • Like 1

I hallucinated from sleep deprivation once.  Started hearing random voices, kept hearing my name called.  And saw weird "artwork" that wasn't there.  Was pretty freaky.  I was awake for like 96 hours or so.  I had finals and ****.  And also had stupidly taken some pretty hardcore drugs before all of this, due to my own idiotic poor planning at the time...… which was why I ended up staying up that long.  And also the stuff I took made it easier to stay awake.  So, it just kind of happened.  But yeah, basically I was bat**** ****ing crazy for a few days, seeing and hearing **** from the sleep deprivation.  But somehow managed to function, despite my paranoia and hallucinations.  

Was an interesting experience to say the least, but honestly **** that ****. Was a terrible time overall.  But yeah, you can definitely hallucinate from sleep deprivation.  I heard random voices, like a chatter sort of.  Though, I also heard my name called, and for a good while everywhere I went I heard everyone talking about me even though I knew it was all in my head.  Great ****ing times (sarcasm). 

And saw this weird "artwork" that later "disappeared" as started visually hallucinating on the last day and was hearing random whispers during the test..... but was 100% unphased as I was weirdly surprisingly functional in this state for some reason.  Which really freaked me out, because it felt real.  That was after aprox. 96 hours of sleep deprivation.  Yes, sleep deprivation causes hallucinations.  But it was nothing supernatural. 

The whole experience sucked ass honestly, and I was glad to be done with the **** I had to do to be able to get a good sleep.  Had some really, really vivid dreams that night due to the REM rebound effect from sleep deprivation.  Once I got a good sleep I was back to normal.  There certainly was nothing supernatural about it.  Wasn't unexplained at all.  Sleep deprivation causes hallucinations in anyone.  And yeah, it is ****ing weird as hell, I can say firsthand.  

Some interesting aspects of sleep deprivation is that after 24 hours you are functioning at approximately a 0.1% blood alcohol content though not necessarily aware of the impairment. In a 'psych eval' of a  patient, brought into hospital emergency dept, who is exhibiting irrational or psychotic behavior might be when was the last time you slept. To the extreme, sleep deprivation is one of more effective techniques for torture and interrogation, and continued for a week or so leads to death.

• Like 1