Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does anyone know what this symbol means?

stlk12

Does anyone know exactly what the symbol attached means or represents? If you do know, kindly provide some credible references to your answer.

My sincerest apologies if this goes against any rules, or is quite an unorthodox question, but what better forum to ask?

Thank you all for your time and assistance, 

Stlk12

crop.jpg

What is it on and what country did it come from?

It looks like a Celtic La Tene motif. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

What is it on and what country did it come from?

It looks like a Celtic La Tene motif. 

It is on the front side of an altar facing people. This was a photo taken just a couple days ago in Canada. 

Can you post a picture of what it is on?

1 minute ago, stlk12 said:

It is on the front side of an altar facing people. This was a photo taken just a couple days ago in Canada. 

An altar in which kind of church?

3 minutes ago, stlk12 said:

A French Catholic Church? 

4 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Can you post a picture of what it is on?

An altar in which kind of church?

A Catholic Church.

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

A French Catholic Church? 

Yes, but not French.

1 minute ago, stlk12 said:

A Catholic Church.

Yes, but not French.

It's a old Celtic sun symbol that is one of the many symbols for Christ and/or St. Micheal.

Belen, the Sun God's symbols were rededicated and reused for them.

• Like 7

Could be a catholic sun symbol or part of something else.

Which church is it in and do you have a picture of the whole altar so we can see what else is on there? 

Edited by freetoroam

55 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Could be a catholic sun symbol or part of something else.

Which church is it in and do you have a picture of the whole altar so we can see what else is on there? 

I'd rather not say the name of the church but it is a huge basilica used by the Archdiocese.

Not much is shown in the photo, attached is all I have. I cropped someone out of the photo as their face was showing.

53934063_517757348750668_1093665408486998016_n.jpg

another (1) (1).png

Edited by stlk12
  • Like 1

I'm more curious as to what it is carved into, as to the size it is on the altar too ...

~

7 hours ago, stlk12 said:

Does anyone know exactly what the symbol attached means or represents? If you do know, kindly provide some credible references to your answer.

My sincerest apologies if this goes against any rules, or is quite an unorthodox question, but what better forum to ask?

Thank you all for your time and assistance, 

Stlk12

crop.jpg

It is a stylized triskele or triskelion. See link

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triskelion

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's the symbol for Google Chrome. Seriously. I find it interesting that Google chose that particular symbol.

• Like 2

It's just a crude gothic trefoil. Usually, it's the shape you start with to create something more elaborate.

05ThreeMoreInscribedCircles.jpg

La Tine, triskele or triskelion, or trefoil... despite some of its more singular or sun roots.. this also has other trinity meanings. I still rather think considering it's a Catholic church if if has symbolic meaning, it's to indicate the holy trinity.

A  bit more of a mystery to me here is considering how well finished the surrounding church seems in other ways.. why is the front of that altar of somewhat crude carving? If you get the chance to go back and hit up the local clergy, ask. They would probably know best why that particular piece is that altar front.

You might get an interesting story to come back with here on UM :tu:

• Like 5

It is a Celtic Irish Tre quetra Protection Symbol. Worn as a pendant by John Paul II and the current Pope. All Arch Bishops wear one also. I have one of my own for personal reasons. Think of it as a bullet proof vest, in the spiritual sense. This is a photo of mine...

The three circular spaces represent the Holy Trinity. The Father, The Son and the Holy Spirit inside each of us. Circled by the Ring of Christianity, Unbreakable, For All Time. People wear them on rings, bracelets etc..

You found an archaic version, apparently quite old.

jqWBbe-min.jpg

Edited by agnuhC
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, agnuhC said:

The three circular spaces represent the Holy Trinity. The Father, The Son and the Holy Spirit inside each of us. Circled by the Ring of Christianity, Unbreakable, For All Time. People wear them on rings, bracelets etc..

Thanks for that. I only knew it from a archaeological standpoint. Seeing it on La Tene art. 

13 hours ago, agnuhC said:

It is a Celtic Irish Tre quetra Protection Symbol. Worn as a pendant by John Paul II and the current Pope. All Arch Bishops wear one also

You probably know this already but the Druid Class became the Priestly Class before marriage was forbidden to Priests in Ireland. I'm not surprised that their original sacred symbols were kept. 

• Like 1

How very lucky you should consider yourself to have seen this crude ancient trefoil. I believe your onto something with the druids and Ireland priests. What type of building did you see this image from the photo? is it made of stone? wood? was it a catholic church of some kind? I will read your original post again, sorry for so many questions. Word to the wise, if you ever decide to wear a protective symbol like this one, always wear it touching your skin, under your clothes. It wont work otherwise so they say. It  keeps Evil away from you. Be it man or demonic.

3 hours ago, agnuhC said:

How very lucky you should consider yourself to have seen this crude ancient trefoil. I believe your onto something with the druids and Ireland priests. What type of building did you see this image from the photo? is it made of stone? wood? was it a catholic church of some kind? I will read your original post again, sorry for so many questions. Word to the wise, if you ever decide to wear a protective symbol like this one, always wear it touching your skin, under your clothes. It wont work otherwise so they say. It  keeps Evil away from you. Be it man or demonic.

I wasn't the original poster. I've seen it on pieces of ancient metalwork in the U.K.