Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Attempting 2 merge physics and the paranormal

macqdor

Poltergeist reports go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back.  The events being reported are almost always the same. Even before modern communication, the reports by far have been the seen.  Identical characteristics before, during and after an outbreak.   

"geist" outbreak phenomena has been talked about, studied. still is being studied.  The root cause is unknown.  Just because you're stiff and refuse to believe in it doesn't make the phenomena less real.  Poltergeist like most other spiritual related events is personal and discrete.  You'll never see the poltergeist tying up Park Avenue during rush hour traffic but you will see cases of it on every continent, every culture and every time period.  Ask the people who encounter them - the answer they give is the same.

String theory?  A mathematical concept who's shelf life is just about done.   It did not give way to The Theory of Everything as originally predicted.

Therefore it's still a theory.     Poltergeist operate on a different set of laws. Laws that man has yet to quantify.

Your world view is your world view. My world view is my word view.  

This forum and others like it will never be the place where debates get settled on the reality of poltergeist. Or any unknown phenomena for that matter.

Its a forum. No more. No less.

*snip*

https://psi-encyclopedia.spr.ac.uk/articles/poltergeists-overview

Edited by Saru
Please avoid copy+pasting large amounts of material on the forums, thank you.

Look at that no evidence - just stories.

It's all about telling stories and labeling them poltergeist.

There is the claim of consistency. Of course that is a laughable comment made to pretend some legitimacy to the tall tales that are told.

That isn't true at all. There are many variations to these stories just as there are many various to all sorts of type of stories.

Then we get laughable statements such as this: "String theory?  A mathematical concept who's shelf life is just about done.   It did not give way to The Theory of Everything as originally predicted."

Clearly, someone is making up stories like they make up stories about poltergeists. It simply illustrates the lack of understanding of science as does this gem of gaffe:

"Therefore it's still a theory."

That's so funny because that means it is a well established mathematical or scientific effort.

It's so funny when the illiterate shoot themselves in the foot time after time.

Stating that a scientific or mathematically theory is a theory is saying that it is rock solid. There are loons that think this is a bad thing when it is actually a very good thing.

And how is this wrapped up? With more whiny excuses!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Since the proponents of poltergeist stories don't understand the meaning of a scientific theory let's take a look at it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory

A scientific theory is an explanation of an aspect of the natural world that can be repeatedly tested and verified in accordance with the scientific method, using accepted protocols of observation, measurement, and evaluation of results. Where possible, theories are tested under controlled conditions in an experiment.[1][2]In circumstances not amenable to experimental testing, theories are evaluated through principles of abductive reasoning. Established scientific theories have withstood rigorous scrutiny and embody scientific knowledge.

As I stated, calling it a theory means it has "withstood rigorous scrutiny and embody scientific knowledge."

It is just so funny when wackos like creationists, and flat earthers and poltergeist pushers say it's just a theory. You bet it's a theory. That's goof.

All the poltergeist tall tale teller can do is repeat their silly tales of boredom and claim that they are too inept to get any evidence.

That is the main excuse - personal incompetence. They are not like scientists that develop elegant methods of capturing data and developing facts that can be explained by a theory.

When all else fails just drop back on the excuse of personal incompetence. The whine is, "It's too hard for me" or maybe the whine is "I can't do it". It's all about the excuses to support tales that create big yawns.

• Thanks 2

Give up. You're not educating me on string theory.  The scientific community calls it a theory. And there right it is.  Come talk to me after you changed their minds.

Me? What I know about Poltergeist I know because of my 4 year experience.  I've seem up close. Too up close and personal. 

If I ask you to point to area where these so called strings reside you'd probably get a headache. 

Where did the Poltergeist reside that I saw?  

%$#@  Bothell,  WA

@stereologist

24 minutes ago, macqdor said:

Give up. You're not educating me on string theory.  The scientific community calls it a theory. And there right it is.  Come talk to me after you changed their minds.

Me? What I know about Poltergeist I know because of my 4 year experience.  I've seem up close. Too up close and personal. 

If I ask you to point to area where these so called strings reside you'd probably get a headache. 

%$#@  Bothell,  WA

@stereologist

It is a mathematical theory and that means it is very well worked out. The question is whether it is a match for reality.

In the vernacular a theory means a wild eyed speculative guess with no supporting evidence like poltergeists and such.

In science or mathematics a theory is very different.

Let's try to educate you because so far it has been a failure trying to teach you anything trivial and basic about science.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory

The meaning of the term scientific theory (often contracted to theory for brevity) as used in the disciplines of science is significantly different from the common vernacular usage of theory.[4][Note 1] In everyday speech, theory can imply an explanation that represents an unsubstantiated and speculative guess,[4] whereas in science it describes an explanation that has been tested and widely accepted as valid. These different usages are comparable to the opposing usages of prediction in science versus common speech, where it denotes a mere hope.

It is hilarious when you keep calling it just a theory because that means it is very well established.

It is so funny as you continue to avoid education and embarrass yourself with these gaffes.

As for your poltergeist experience? It's just a tall tale without evidence. At best it is a tale of you relying on your ineptitude to further this boring story. You claim being completely unable and incompetent to collect any evidence. It's a story and a very boring story. 

When you collect one piece of evidence you will have the only piece of evidence in existence that poltergeists exist. So stop committing the 7th deadly sin (sloth) and get some evidence. I certainly am willing to move your tale from boring tale to important event if you can get some evidence.

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't get a headache telling you where the strings are located. They fill space. They are everywhere. 

Is that too hard to understand?

• Thanks 1

Clearly, someone is making up stories like they make up stories about poltergeists. It simply illustrates the lack of understanding of science as does this gem of gaffe:

You have no proof a story is made. saying every "geist" story is made up is extreme supposition.  Its guess work on steroids.  Every case i.e. story has to be viewed and weighed differently.  For someone who clings to the format of science you sure like to over generalize.

The reason you do that is because of your stiff world-view.

Nothings real unless science says its real or worse than that nothings real unless I see with my own eyes.    Those two arguments are ignorant and childish.     There are organizations the world over investigating, researching the phenomena known as poltergeist. Better than them there are people who live it. Have lived who know based on their experience what they saw was real.  You who haven't yet met them are being prejudice and judgmental.  Typical hallmarks of a skeptic.

You IQ were "geist" are concerned is abysmal.  Adolescent.

Thats me putting it lightly.

@stereologist

5 minutes ago, macqdor said:

You have no proof a story is made. saying every "geist" story is made up is extreme supposition.  Its guess work on steroids.  Every case i.e. story has to be viewed and weighed differently.  For someone who clings to the format of science you sure like to over generalize.

The reason you do that is because of your stiff world-view.

Nothings real unless science says its real or worse than that nothings real unless I see with my own eyes.    Those two arguments are ignorant and childish.     There are organizations the world over investigating, researching the phenomena known as poltergeist. Better than them there are people who live it. Have lived who know based on their experience what they saw was real.  You who haven't yet met them are being prejudice and judgmental.  Typical hallmarks of a skeptic.

You IQ were "geist" are concerned is abysmal.  Adolescent.

Thats me putting it lightly.

@stereologist

All of the poltergeists stories are just stories.

There is no evidence to upgrade the tall tales into anything substantial. Tales are tales and there are plenty of tales floating around.

No poltergeist story provides evidence, just a story. That's a fact.

People want to pretend that some stories are different. They sure are. Well researched stories all turn out to be non-poltergeist events. Many are hoaxes. Many are just imagination. 

Then when people call for evidence out come the lousy excuses. There are piles of them. Here come even more hearty laughs. Let's see there is the dumb excuse of "Nothings real unless science says its real". Only one to make that claim is maqcdor. Then comes another excuse "nothings real unless I see with my own eyes" Another macqdor excuse. Those are ignorant and childish excuses you've made.

The simple fact is that despite repeated efforts to educate you as to what science is all about it has been an abysmal failure.

The straight forward fact of the matter is that I do not accept tall tales and boring stories without evidence. Only a gullible fool does that.

Without evidence all I see is macqdor promoting his book about what is almost certainly a hoax.  Only those promoting a hoax push back so hard when asked for evidence.

• Thanks 1

There you go with that relative word again.  It might not be evidence to you. But its evidence to other people.  Its evidence to the people who seen it.  Who lived it.

There are 7 billion people on this planet. 7 billion people are not ever going to fit in a home infested with poltergeist outbreaks.  Evidence like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  There are many things in existence that science cant explain yet it exists anyways without scientist approval and certainly without science understanding.  Thats why you call it a mystery. The poltergeist is just one mystery out of thousands. No more. No less.  Your just obtuse

There's nothing wrong with a story.  If its a true story.  Since when did stories become a bad thing?   I'm talking true stories.   I can tell you never sat in a court room.  Or gave a disposition.  Or had a job interview.  Somewhere in the bowels of Google, Facebook, Apple, etc and DevOps person is writing scripts, writing code based of a customers experience (based off a user story) he/she received.     That experience is as true as the sun rising up from the east.    Your cynicism of people (of humanity)  and of stories is well noted.   Did someone put OJ in your frosted flakes when you was a kid?

I for one believe a majority of poltergeist stories being reported are real.  Thats my belief. I base that belief on my own experience.  I'm not hear seeking believers.   Im sharing knowledge, information and experience.  Agree or disagree makes me no never mind. My account and belief are firmer now than when I first came here.    So get ready for more stories.  

I have about 10,000 or so to share.   Grab a chair.  Keith's going to be here awhile.

@stereologist

So maybe now that we have covered the concept of theory and there is an improved understanding that the use of the word in mathematics and science is not that of the common usage in which it refers to a wild eyed speculative unevidenced guess. 

The next term is evidence. Whether or not there are people that do not understand the term evidence means very little. People such as yourself not understanding that the concept of a theory in math or science has no bearing on the proper understanding of the word theory in science or math. Evidence is not as you suggest in the eye of the beholder. I hear that  claptrap from a lot of people that have no evidence. Whatever you think is evidence, or whatever low standard you want to use as evidence is apparently impossible for you to obtain. You've proudly and loudly proclaimed that multiple times.  You've gone to lengthy excuses as to why there is no evidence and even invented some childish thing you called a game to explain why you have no evidence. 

It doesn't matter how low you want to set the bear because according to your previous posts no matter how low you set the bar there is no evidence.

What is there? There are stories. There are lots of stories. People love telling stories. Stories get infectious. One person sees or hears something. One person thinks they experienced something. Next thing you know everyone wants to jump on the bandwagon and be a part of this experience. It makes for stories and tall tales and embellishments. Anecdotes such as this are not evidence. 

You couldn't tell true from not. Even when it was pointed out to you that a CIA employee cannot lie to a US citizen because doing so is a JAILABLE offense you continued with your false narrative that they could. You have a narrative you do not want to drop when it comes to the CIA despite your lack of knowledge in that area. You have demonstrated that you want to promote your narrative despite the facts. It's a simple fact that a CIA employee lying to a US citizen about the CIA is a JAILABLE offense. It's not an apology situation or a recanting or anything simple. It leads to jail. But you have this narrative you need to promote.

The same applies to your claims of a poltergeist. You have a narrative to promote. It's cash in your pocket. You are advertising here by promoting this narrative that poltergeists exist. You don't care about stories being true. You then make up some BS such I've never had a job interview or whatever and you do that with no evidence. This is you making up stories because that is what you do. You might have asked or suggested that I had never job interviewed. Instead you made a statement which is false while trying to claim there are true stories.

You cannot be trusted to tell a true story. That is clear. 

As you continue to post it becomes clearer and clearer that what you call your personal poltergeist event is not true. It is all made up. It is a hoax. Your story is not true in the least bit. Well, maybe the girlfriend dumping someone with your bad attitude is true, but the poltergeist part is just a big fat lie. Your posts are the source of my belief. I'm pointing out to you why I have shifted from thinking you were kooky to you just making it all up.

• Like 3

On 20/03/2019 at 8:15 AM, macqdor said:

*snip*

*snip* 

%$#@  Bothell,  WA

@stereologist

And you were never able to provide any evidence of that either. It’s just another story.

How are the book sales going?

• Haha 1

@Timothy

Ive provided tons of evidence. Just not to you specifically and this community.  

You and this community has yet to demonstrate the comprehension or better yet in the phenomena known as Poltergeist.  You have however demonstrated the art of playing gotcha. 

Career skeptics get nothing.

Sorry.

PS

No I'm not.

If there were any evidence it would be provided.

It is clear that not only is there no evidence, but that those promoting it are hoaxers.

The refusal to post any evidence is rather funny. 

Look at this dumb statement "You and this community has yet to demonstrate the comprehension"

This comes from someone that refuses to learn the meaning of theory in science and mathematics.

All we ask for is evidence to support the story of poltergeists and since we won't be fools to fall for this story the evidence is not forthcoming.

More likely there is nothing and never has been anything.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, macqdor said:

@Timothy

Ive provided tons of evidence. Just not to you specifically and this community.  

You and this community has yet to demonstrate the comprehension or better yet in the phenomena known as Poltergeist.  You have however demonstrated the art of playing gotcha. 

Career skeptics get nothing.

Then do the community a favor and go away. The community at large isn't buying into your homespun fairy tales - you waste our time and yours.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Timothy

Do yourself a favor.  Stop responding to my post.  Bully tactics dont work.  No ones forcing you to come here.

I joined this community to talk about the phenomena known as Poltergeist.   Key words here is talk about.  If that's too much for u, then please exercise your freedom to ignore whatever I post. It gets no simpler than that.

So when a poster claims things exist and refuses to produce them it is called bullying?

What an odd way of thinking.

Let's use proper definitions such as the proper word to describe this: "Stop responding to my post."

The word is censorship.

People employ censorship when they want to spread their stories without opposition. This forum is not a blog. It is appropriate to challenge someone in a forum. Challenges allow the claimant to clarify their stance or to learn more about the issues.

I believe maqcdor joined this community to sell books.

If this were really about the phenomenon called poltergeist then there would be evidence, and discussion. There is nothing so far in this thread about so far to support anything about physics and what appears to a fiction called poltergeists.

• Thanks 2

@stereologist

If this were really about the phenomenon called poltergeist then there would be evidence, and discussion. There is nothing so far in this thread about so far to support anything about physics and what appears to a fiction called poltergeists.

and yet u keep responding.

Im willing to bet none of you have ventured outside this forum and studied the phenomena known as poltergeist.

My assumptions  based on the adolescent questions being ask.  You dont even have the fundamentals down.

Therefore I know your not serious.

I can't believe how often maqcdor get things wrong.

They pretend to be some sort of an expert. That is clearly a laughable claim.

• Look at how pathetic the understanding of science has been.
  • Look at how they reject reality in favor of their own bizarre narrative.
  • Look at the refusal to produce items they claim they have.
  • Look at the refusal to support any of their stories.

The only thing I see maqcdor as being an expert in is an expert in failure.

As a skeptic I am not going to accept the stories of poltergeists simply because they are nothing but unsupported, unevidenced tales.

The tales are boring and somewhat repetitive from place to place. You'd think that something new and interesting might be made up. Not at all. It's the same old, same old.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@stereologist

You said this already. I think you've made opinion known. I'm interested in why you keep repeating the same thing?

1.) Poltergeist are stories

2.) Theres no evidence that they are real.

3.) Macdor is a liar.

If one of those you feel is true to you. Then why do keep coming back. You would think you'd be ignoring all my posts by now. But u dont. It's weird how the biggest skeptics here post the most stuff in threads I create.

Its interesting how quick you respond. 

Your actions and words are at odds with each other.  U keep contradicting yourself. 

Fascinating. 

I stated that there are stories and nothing more than stories. Anything other than stories ever posted? No.

The evidence is completely lacking there is no evidence. Anyone is free to provide evidence. So far nothing has been presented. There have been plenty of excuses, but no evidence.

The story of the Washington poltergeist is boring. It appears to be nothing but a hoax and a dreadfully bad one at that.

There are fools that claim contradiction but that is not true. It seems that the contradiction they think exists is just due to their abysmal understanding of basic ideas such as what is a scientific theory or a mathematical theory. Claiming someone else is contradicting themselves is just a reflection of their lack of education in the area of what is science.

As I posted earlier:

They pretend to be some sort of an expert. That is clearly a laughable claim.

• Look at how pathetic the understanding of science has been.
  • Look at how they reject reality in favor of their own bizarre narrative.
  • Look at the refusal to produce items they claim they have.
  • Look at the refusal to support any of their stories.

• Thanks 1

Ah name calling and straw man tactics combined.   those are usually  tale tell signs that you've lost control of your argument. That and recommending a thread be close  ;-)

@stereologist

35 minutes ago, macqdor said:

Ah name calling and straw man tactics combined.   those are usually  tale tell signs that you've lost control of your argument. That and recommending a thread be close  ;-)

@stereologist

I see reading and comprehension are still above you. That is not name calling. It is a statement of fact. The posts in this thread make it abundantly clear.

I see you do not understand the meaning of straw man or have chosen to misuse the term.

This thread is about physics and how it relates to the paranormal. Why not close the thread if you do nothing but derail the thread.

Edited by stereologist
  • Thanks 1

This thread is about an article written by an employee of the TTSA. Why not close the thread if you do nothing but derail the thread.

i think skeptics want the thread closed.  

This thread is about physics and how it relates to the paranormal.

I'm not derailing my own thread. You are LOL

I agree a lot with what the article is saying.   Thats why I posted it.   To stir up intelligent debate.  The author brings up good points IMO.

I think he means well. He ask good questions and he's sincere in his approach.

IMO physics and what we call the paranormal are two sides of the same coin.

there are certain phenomena in physics that are hard, next to impossible to observe as are there with paranormal elements.  poltergeist being one of them

In between both is where the dialogue should stay.

Brian Josephson promotes  parapsychology, water memory, cold fusion, homeopathy, and apparently some variation of Intelligent Design. 

The man has quite clearly lost his marbles. 

• Like 1

• The topic was locked